870 Express to Police conversion. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express to Police conversion.

DrMaxit
03-28-2010, 23:13
I have an 870 Express HD with extended mag tube and want to convert it to the best I can to an actual real HD shotgun. After looking at this link it seems as though there is a bit of work that needs to be done. I was curious if you guys have any input on where I can find the parts I need.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/870ExpvsPol6-30-05.pdf

Thanks for all your help in advance.

CLee0507
03-29-2010, 01:17
First off if you have the HD with extended mag you already have alot of that stuff like the ball detent retainer and the longer mag spring. You can find the parts on Remington's site to order. What I did was take a regular 18" HD Express I'm assuming like yours, and replaced the trigger assembly and forend with factory police parts from Brownells. I did not replace the barrel or the bolt yet though. (I just don't think its worth it for what I do) The police models are IC and mine is Cyl.

The only reason I did this was to get rid of the stupid j-hook safety lock thingy and upgrade to the steel trigger assembly. The forend was replaced because I think the shorter police style looks better than the longer sporter one.

DrMaxit
03-29-2010, 07:42
Thanks for the reply, I plan on getting the barrel threaded for a choke so that's no issue. Thanks for reminding me about Brownells, I had forgotten about that site, I'll just replace the pieces a little at a time from that site.

DrMaxit
03-29-2010, 13:04
Wow nvm looks like doing the full conversion will cost some cheese. I just mainly want to swap out the extractor/ejector from cast (wtf kinda idea is that anyways) to the machined parts, and get my barrel choked.

I didn't see the police extractor/ejector parts on Brownells, any one have any idea where I could get them? How durable are the cast ones just for information purposes. I know they're good but I plan on putting a whole bunch of rounds through this over the next many years and don't need to break and extractor when I put a round in the chamber.

Thanks

CLee0507
03-29-2010, 16:53
Wow nvm looks like doing the full conversion will cost some cheese. I just mainly want to swap out the extractor/ejector from cast (wtf kinda idea is that anyways) to the machined parts, and get my barrel choked.

I didn't see the police extractor/ejector parts on Brownells, any one have any idea where I could get them? How durable are the cast ones just for information purposes. I know they're good but I plan on putting a whole bunch of rounds through this over the next many years and don't need to break and extractor when I put a round in the chamber.

Thanks

If I was going to do that I'd just buy the whole police bolt assembly for $97 here http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/partsPaging.aspx?layout=0&number=3&catalogid=1&categoryid=3566&topcat=1038

Ok edited to add, I found the part you need it is "Extractor 12 GA, 16 GA, 20 GA Remington part #F16176" for $14. On the same link above. The extractor next to it is the mim one. Also you can replace the sear spring to a heavier one for $4.70.

I have already did the trigger assembly swap. I will probably order a police bolt assembly in the future though.

Jay S.
03-29-2010, 18:58

Thanks

Check out http://www.aiptactical.com/ he is a member here and not only knowledgeable, but helpful as well.

DrMaxit
03-29-2010, 20:05
Check out http://www.aiptactical.com/ he is a member here and not only knowledgeable, but helpful as well.

Thanks I was checking out him on gunbroker on accident earlier today actually. Good products, I should have just bought one from him instead, still might and just sell this one. I bought it probably 4 or 5 years ago though and sold it to my buddy and then bought it back, LoL.

aippi
03-29-2010, 21:35
For every ones information. The Express breech bolt and the Police bolt are the same bolt. A guy sits in a captains chair and they bring him a box of breech bolts, yes all the same. If he needs 50 Express bolts he installs the MIM extactor in them and puts them in a box marked Express. If he needs 50 police bolts he puts the solid steel extractor in them and puts them in a box marked Police. I stood there and watched this being done. So if you pay $96 for a Police breech bolt you are getting the exact same bolt that is already in your Express model, and yes the same matte finish. The only part different is the Extractor.

You also don't need a new Trigger plate assembly as your is identical to the police except yours is Polymer and is more durable then the Police trigger plate assembly. All the parts are the same except the carrier dog follower spring.

As for the J-lock safety, they don't make that any longer. If you have and older 870 with the J-lock and want to change it you can get the parts to replace it for $10. That beats paying $86 for a P trigger plate assembly.

For those of you that do not believe the above facts. Read my signature line and you will see I know about these weapons. Now that you have saved all that money, buy ammo and get lethal with that 870.

DrMaxit
03-30-2010, 09:31
For those of you that do not believe the above facts. Read my signature line and you will see I know about these weapons. Now that you have saved all that money, buy ammo and get lethal with that 870.

Right on thanks for the reply, I'm actually about to buy a few barrels off of you. Do you sell the P extractors? If so I'll get one of those as well.

Anything you would recomend as a "must do" mods to an off the shelf 870 Express HD?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to doing buisness with you.

ottomatic
03-30-2010, 11:15
I just bought a used 870 Express. Seems to be in good shape.

Questions regarding what was mentioned above:

1. I don't THINK that I have a "J lock safety", but how do I find out for sure?
2. How do I go about removing the stupid magazine tube indentations that prevent me from using an extension?

DrMaxit
03-30-2010, 12:50
I just bought a used 870 Express. Seems to be in good shape.

Questions regarding what was mentioned above:

1. I don't THINK that I have a "J lock safety", but how do I find out for sure?
2. How do I go about removing the stupid magazine tube indentations that prevent me from using an extension?

The J lock safety is the one that comes with the little key to turn the lock/safety so that it can not be taken off safe.

Instructions on how to get rid of the tube dimples are on JDs site here (http://www.aiptactical.com/How-To_Videos.html) its the 4th vid down.

Also look around his site for a while he has tons of information and products on his site also.

CLee0507
03-30-2010, 16:17
For every ones information. The Express breech bolt and the Police bolt are the same bolt. A guy sits in a captains chair and they bring him a box of breech bolts, yes all the same. If he needs 50 Express bolts he installs the MIM extactor in them and puts them in a box marked Express. If he needs 50 police bolts he puts the solid steel extractor in them and puts them in a box marked Police. I stood there and watched this being done. So if you pay $96 for a Police breech bolt you are getting the exact same bolt that is already in your Express model, and yes the same matte finish. The only part different is the Extractor.

You also don't need a new Trigger plate assembly as your is identical to the police except yours is Polymer and is more durable then the Police trigger plate assembly. All the parts are the same except the carrier dog follower spring.

As for the J-lock safety, they don't make that any longer. If you have and older 870 with the J-lock and want to change it you can get the parts to replace it for $10. That beats paying $86 for a P trigger plate assembly.

Hey thanks for the info. I didn't know they were the exact same bolt minus extractor, saves me some money now.

AKJD
03-31-2010, 11:28
Actually there are a few more differences than what appi listed, whether or not they actually make a difference or not is debatable but there are other differences. One such item is the Police model has an extra power sear spring, You will definitely feel the difference between the police orange colored sear spring and the civilian ones. Old JD doesn't let the facts get in the way of him telling everyone what an expert he is, if you don't believe him, just look at his sig line.

If you want to know the difference go here where the Remington sheet was posted. Some of it is just sales hype, the extra power mag spring, extra power carrier dog spring and steel extractor are the important parts as far as I am concerned. The rest you should make your own decision on what important to you.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198449

Maybe I should add to my sig line, I graduated from the Remington LE armorer school and actually paid attention in class.

18thabncorps
03-31-2010, 12:32
Realistically, I would replace that J safety with one from Vang Comp, install a XS 24/7 Front Sight, a saddle for extra rounds, and a front sling attachment. You now have a working shotgun.

If you really want to live large a Surefire Light Forearm. Depends how much you are wanting to spend.

A working shotgun should be kept simple, they are reliable and go and go. The biggest outlay I would make is to have the barrel Vang Comped; it does improve shot pattern and reduces recoil. However it is not a requirement.

As far as buying al of those "police"parts, why. My 870 started life as an express with 18" barrel. It is fifteen yrs old and has digested over 2K 00Buck, at least 1K slugs and countless birdshot. All the internals save for the safety are stock; the safety is a Vang Comp extended.

ottomatic
03-31-2010, 20:00
My gun was used by a Police Dept, so they MAY have made some updates along the way. How do I recognize if it has a MIM extractor?

aippi
03-31-2010, 20:18
AKJD. If you are sugesting the orange sear is a Police sear then maybe you did not pay attention. Buy a Police Trigger plate assembly from Remington and you will find it comes with the standard 4-5 pound silver sear. I buy dozens and spent over $87,000 in parts alone with Remington last year plus another 60K in 870's from my distributors and I know these weapons and the parts that come in them. There are only three Remington sears for their shotguns. The standard silver which has a 4-5 pound trigger pull, the heavy sear which is orange in color and has a 7-8 pound trigger pull and the Yellow Clay which has a 3 lb trigger pull. The fact you called the heavy sear a Police sear indicates to me that you may have gotten most of you information from gun blogs. Post a Copy of your certification and I will certainly apologize for that statement. Mine is on my web site and I will be back in Ilion next month to recertify and will post that one also.

I put my qualification in my signature line so a guy can decide if the information I post about a Remington part or Shotgun is a qualified response. There is so much mess on these blogs that it helps to know who is giving the information.

I simply posted the facts about these parts to let the guy that posted this decide if he was going to waste money buying the same bolt he already had. A lot of guys in this business would have tried to sell him a new one instead of telling him the truth. Then you jump in with your flip comments trying to shine using me. Your comments and the "Paid Attention" remark were an unprovoked attach on me for no reason other then some personal issue you have with yourself, not with me. Your don't know me so you can not have any personal issue with me. In the future if you want to get flip you can IM me or even get my info from my web site and call me. I suspect most of the guys reading this thread see that I did the guy a service and respect that.

SarcoBlaster
04-01-2010, 01:58
aippi: Stroke your own ego much? :upeyes:

Yet another forum where you'll be placed on my ignore list.

AKJD
04-01-2010, 11:22
Appi,

I am not going to post my cert because I don't really care if you think I've attended the course or not.

From the Remington Law Enforcement web site Parts Quote which is where I order parts from:

SEAR SPRING HEAVY - POLICE (7 TO 8 POUNDS) Part Number 97642

When I order TRIGGER PLATE ASSEM 12 GA MATTE POL part number 102203 they have the SEAR SPRING HEAVY - POLICE (7 TO 8 POUNDS) Part Number 97642 installed.

Once again, don't let the facts stand in the way of your proclaiming you are the expert on all things 870.

Pay attention in class this time. If you think the only difference between a police model and other models is a couple springs (which you constantly post) you are wrong. Again, whether or not the differences are important is another matter and up to each individual as to what features are important to them. You constantly provide inaccurate information and when someone calls you on it you get your panties in a wad and start giving your resume and telling everyone else they don't know what they are talking about because you are the expert. I am sure you are quite knowledgeable about the 870, but you are not God so quit acting like it. I feel sorry for your instructor at Remington, I'm sure you will spend the class telling him how it really is, there is always that guy in every class and you will be him.
Over and Out.

Z71bill
04-01-2010, 11:36
Is there a higher failure rate in MIM extractors?

I lost count at the number of rounds through my 870 and the extractor (I assume its MIM - my gun is an Express magnum) still looks new.

Is this another one of those things that people get all worked up over and in reality it is not even an issue?

AKJD
04-01-2010, 12:00
I haven't seen any data that would say the MIM extractors fail more often. Metal Injection Molded parts that are made properly seem to hold up just fine. It is probably one of those things that doesn't really matter, but it sounds good as a selling point in the Remington sales brochure for Police models.