Can't disassemble my 870 HD...help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't disassemble my 870 HD...help!

Summit
03-29-2010, 00:03
So i haven't been able to shoot my new 870 hd, because i can't figure out how to take it apart and clean it. Its the 870 with the 18 inch barrel and +2 extension. I think im missing something in my manual, because the manual is for the normal ones and says nothing about the HD model. The magazine cap won't screw off...its impossible. Any tips on what do would be greatly appreciate...ive searched the net and can't find a thing.

Meat-Hook
03-29-2010, 00:24
start by unscrewing the barrel clamp.

Once the barrel clamp has been unscrewed/removed then the +2 extension should unscrew right off. Watch to make sure the spring doesnt come flying off. The barrel should come off as well as the bolt assembly.

im sure others will chime in with additional advice.

FLglockdude
03-29-2010, 00:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPJHzw4PXg

Follow this video. Everything is the same except for the barrel clamp and the mag extension.

Like Meat-Hook said, be careful when unscrewing the mag extension, because the spring in there is under tension and likes to fly out if you aren't.

NWHathway
03-29-2010, 01:01
It's just tight. Get a rubber strap wrench and use that, or try hitting the but on the ground hard is supposed to lossen it up. I had the same problem with mine when I first got it.

Glockman454
03-29-2010, 21:40
It's just tight. Get a rubber strap wrench and use that, or try hitting the but on the ground hard is supposed to lossen it up. I had the same problem with mine when I first got it.

hit the butt of the gun on the ground? I don't see the benefit of doing that...

That sounds like a hillbilly-how-to for sure. May I ask where you heard that from?

Summit
03-30-2010, 00:35
hit the butt of the gun on the ground? I don't see the benefit of doing that...

That sounds like a hillbilly-how-to for sure. May I ask where you heard that from?

pretty lame i have to buy a wrench just to take it off...i don't have a big enough one and me and a few buddies took turns trying to turn the thing...

cj5mrt
03-30-2010, 08:39
Make sure your gun is empty. Put the butt on the floor, push down on the muzzle and try unscrewing the ext. Worked on a friend's gun that was real tight.

Mike

Glockdude1
03-30-2010, 08:50
So i haven't been able to shoot my new 870 hd, because i can't figure out how to take it apart and clean it. Its the 870 with the 18 inch barrel and +2 extension. I think im missing something in my manual, because the manual is for the normal ones and says nothing about the HD model. The magazine cap won't screw off...its impossible. Any tips on what do would be greatly appreciate...ive searched the net and can't find a thing.

Why do you need to remove the ext?

FLglockdude
03-31-2010, 00:05
Why do you need to remove the ext?

You have to to get the barrel off.

DrMaxit
03-31-2010, 15:21
Banging the butt on the ground does work, it loosens up the tension a little (same with automotive work) and also pushes the barrel back. After you do that push on the muzzle and/or hit the end of the muzzle and the mag cap with a rubber mallet, you wont hurt anything. It will come off. I don't suggest using a wrench as it will mar the finish, a strap wrench may work if you can get it on there tight enough. You're not going to hurt the weapon.

aippi
03-31-2010, 22:36
I simply wrap a strip of nylon webing around the mag tube coupling and use channel locks to break it lose then screw it off with my hands. You only have to break it lose with the wrench and it comes off easily with your hand. I buy hundreds of new 870 HD's a year and have to strip them all down to build my tactical shotguns and this procedure works on every one of them and does not mar the finish on the mag tube coupling. It is no different then using the wrench that Brownells sells.

Meat-Hook
04-01-2010, 00:25
"The magazine cap wont screw off"
---

on the 2+ extension there is no "cap". It looks like one,..but its not.

Its actually part of the +2 extension tube. Its all one piece.

You can wrench on it all day until you break it. What you have to do first is remove the barrel band---barrel clamp that connects the barrel and the +2
extension tube together. It is the barrel band/clamp that keeps the TENSION on the +2 tube,.......since there is no real "cap".
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/Rem870TEX-1.jpg

aippi
04-01-2010, 14:09
I am not picking on anyone here but the the info about the Remington LE extension being one piece is incorrect. It is not one piece, it is a mag tube coupling and a tube. The rule is they come off together and install apart. when you install it you install the mag tube coupling first. This allows it to use all the availibe threads and also holds the barrel on while you install the rest of the extension. You then install the follower and spring. work the spring down and then install the tube but not all the way down as you want to get it a few turns from complete then bump the mag tube coupling with the heel of you hand to ensure the spring is not binding in the threads. Then screw the tube the rest of the way. Install the bracket and you are done.

AKJD
04-01-2010, 14:38
As simple as it may appear on the surface, there is actually a correct way to install the magazine extension on your Model 870 or 11-87. By following this installation procedure every time you assemble the weapon, you will prevent feeding problems that can arise from improper assembly. These problems result from screwing the magazine extension into the magazine extension coupling and then tightening the assembly onto the barrel. This process forces the ends of the magazine tube and extension tube together and will cause one or both edges to roll in towards the interior of the tube. Once this rolled edge has been created, it will cause the magazine follower to stick inside the extension tube when you fully load the magazine. With the follower stuck, you will have no compression on the shells and, therefore, no feeding.

So, the correct installation procedure is as follows:
Assemble weapon as normal until it is time to install the barrel.
Seat your barrel (and fore-end on 11-87).
Tighten the magazine extension coupling onto the magazine tube to secure the barrel to the receiver.
Insert the magazine spring.
Slip the extension tube over the magazine spring, compressing it and screw the extension tube into the coupling until it is “finger tight.”
Install the magazine extension bracket and magazine extension bracket screw.
Function test with dummy shells.
This installation procedure will allow the magazine extension tube and the magazine tube to make light contact and provide a nice, smooth edge over which the magazine follower can pass.