What's up with Benchmade? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Benchmade?

voyager4520
03-29-2010, 06:55
I don't know much about Benchmade knives, but I like the 551 and 553 Griptilians. I also like the Nimravus.

With the Griptilians, I'd prefer either the 551 or 553 with an OD handle and black blade. Only problem is that they don't list either of these knives in a plain edge version, only semi-serrated. Through some google-fu I found that older Griptilians were made in this configuration, but with D2 steel. They're now discontinued apparently.

With the Nimravus, I'd prefer the OD handle(or ADC, whatever they wanna call it) with black blade but again they only seem to offer it in semi-serrated.

So what's up with Benchmade? They don't offer straight edge versions with black blade and OD handle? Or are they just trying their best to push semi-serrated on people since the straight edge versions sell themselves?

Kahr_Glockman
03-31-2010, 18:50
Ernest Emerson just post the other day about straight edge vs semi-serrated. He said that a partial serrated blade has more overall utility. The man knows knives so I listened.

Now you do have the option of buying the all black blade and the o.d. one as well. Change the scales and you have the knife you want. Sell the one you don't and your there.

I have a Nimravus and it is a fantastic knife. I love it.

voyager4520
04-03-2010, 21:42
Thanks for the info. I thought about buying each and switching blades, but at $100 a pop for the Griptilians and more for the Nimravus, I don't see why Benchmade can't just make the knives in that configuration.

Mona1986
04-11-2010, 19:18
I also like 551 and 553 Griptilians!

Dennis in MA
04-11-2010, 22:13
I used to be a combo-edge fan. I like plain edge now. Maintain it and it's not an issue.

Too bad for Benchmade. I've got an original mini-grip - NOT in D2. (I forget what.) It seem so SMALL to me now. LOL