KKM 10mm drop-in barrel question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KKM 10mm drop-in barrel question

HOV
03-29-2010, 08:04
For those of you who use the KKM drop-in 10mm barrel - does the ejecting brass hit you in the face?

I ask because I'm considering getting one, but so far my KKM 10mm-.40S&W barrel tends to launch the brass straight at my face. I end up with half-moon powder marks all over my face, not to mention the piece of hot brass that fell behind my safety glasses and gave me a new scar right near my eye. :crying:

Fire_Medic
03-29-2010, 09:06
I always wear a cap to the range........:wavey:

G20gunner
03-29-2010, 11:31
I have a KKM 10mm barrel for my G20 and never had the brass hit me in the face. I'm a lefty shooter also, if that makes a difference.

G20gunner:wavey:

DrtyHarry
03-29-2010, 12:10
I have a KKM 10mm barrel for my G20 and never had the brass hit me in the face. I'm a lefty shooter also, if that makes a difference.

Any chamber issues with it being too tight? Did it require any fitting? Any probs at all with this barrel?? Thanks!

DH

HOV
03-29-2010, 12:40
I'd like to hear the same answer, but in the mean time I can say with confidence that my KKM 10mm-40S&W conversion barrel has been 100% since I started using it.

Drop-in fit, no fiddling required, and works like a charm with the stock 10mm mags. I haven't been on the lookout for the Glock bulge in my .40 brass, but I'll take a peek and see if I find any.

G20gunner
03-29-2010, 13:09
Mine was drop in and works flawlessly with jacketed and lead loads. I didn't have one hiccup shooting 100rds jacket and 100rds lead.
I am having feeding problems with lead loads in my LW barrel for my G21sf. Maybe I should've went with a KKM again:dunno:.

G20gunner

Fire_Medic
03-29-2010, 13:38
Mine was drop in and works flawlessly with jacketed and lead loads. I didn't have one hiccup shooting 100rds jacket and 100rds lead.
I am having feeding problems with lead loads in my LW barrel for my G21sf. Maybe I should've went with a KKM again:dunno:.

G20gunner

I'd venture to say check your OAL on the lead rounds for your G21SF....:wavey:

faawrenchbndr
03-29-2010, 13:55
Doubt you want to hear this, and I'm not trying to insult your shooting skill,
But, brass in the face is a very good indicator of either a stiff/dirty extractor or limp-wristing. :couch:

HOV
03-29-2010, 14:07
Doubt you want to hear this, and I'm not trying to insult your shooting skill,
But, brass in the face is a very good indicator of either a stiff/dirty extractor or limp-wristing. :couch:

No offense taken, good thing to keep in the hip pocket.

No I'm not a limp-wrister, I have over 20 years shooting experience between the military and my civilian life and I practice dryfiring, drawing, and gripping ad nauseum. My wife thinks I am completely bonkers for as much as I do that stuff. Of the autoloaders I generally bring to the range these days:

G26 stock
G23, sometimes stock, sometimes with LW 9mm conversion
G20 stock, soemtimes with KKM .40 conversion
XD45 stock
S&W M39...

and of all the autoloading pistols I have ever shot, my G20 with the KKM conversion is the ONLY one that ejects brass in my face. Works just fine stock.

I guess the relatively low power .40S&W loads just set that facial trajectory up perfectly regardless of the angle of the squiggly little new style ejector.

Fire_Medic
03-29-2010, 14:20
I guess the relatively low power .40S&W loads just set that facial trajectory up perfectly regardless of the angle of the squiggly little new style ejector.

The 40SW loads are less powerful than the 10mm and the G20 is bigger and heavier than the 40SW counterparts, so if you're not limp wristing I would venture and say that's the reason.

leadslinger13
03-29-2010, 18:31
strange, I have KKM 40 conversion for my 20 and no issues at all. very accurate. Interesting quirk. keep us posted.

527varmint
03-30-2010, 11:43
KKM will pretty much fix any barrel with a problem for free.

Snapper2
03-31-2010, 17:22
Isnt the barrels hood designed to sling or deflect brass out and not straight back? Problem is, in a 10mm ejection port the shorter 40 brass clears the hood before it hits the ejector allowing less control of the ejecting brass. I've got a LWD 6" 10/40 barrel that shoots great with no problems but sometimes slings some ammo straight back. Have you tried different weight recoil springs?

HOV
04-01-2010, 06:26
No, I haven't tried different weight springs. It's not that big a deal, I just wanted to see if other had the same problem with the drop-in 10mm barrel because that's what I have on order right now.

Next time I use my .40 conversion barrel, I'll wear a hat like Fire Medic recommended and problem solved. Maybe I can tape a little box or some fly paper to my hat and have a nifty little brass catcher!

Snapper2
04-01-2010, 16:17
Maybe I can tape a little box or some fly paper to my hat and have a nifty little brass catcher!

:rofl: Yes, or duck. Another reason I wear eye protection. I dont think you'll be disappointed with your new barrel.

Dave T
04-01-2010, 19:41
Next time you're at the range fire a few rounds with varying grip tension (tighter than usual, then looser than usual). The point being to see if it changes where the ejected cartridges go. It is does the problem is likely with you, meaning the gun recoils enough differently for you that the brass is coming straight back.

If on the other hand the brass ejects the same no matter how you grip the weapon, it might be the barrel, extractor or ejector. Get a competent smith (not an armorer) to look at it.

Hope this helps,
Dave

xdmikey
04-02-2010, 05:13
i love my kkm barrel; no problems w/any guns(it's a conv 21/20)

as far as brass back at you: i bought 2 g19s, 2 weeks apart but shot them together(same range trip). one of them was bouncing empties off my forehead.
went to the range on tuesday; took both guns as i was looking to see which one gave me the glocked brass. not only did neither give me glocked brass, neither fed empties into my face.
+1 for the poster who suggested changing your grip up and i always think about wearing a cap!

alex9x19
04-04-2010, 14:55
My KKM 10/40 barrel is very accurate and brass always goes to the right.
The only problem with it is when slide locks it does not always chamber first round - guess the ramp is too steep.

The KKM 10mm barrel for G21 had a habit of chewing up the brass till I installed dremmeled G20 extractor. It is the same accurate and gets 1.5” groups at 40 meters

ak 47
03-09-2013, 20:43
i got a kkm went right in and work real good no brass hit me at all put like 100 rounds like it alot

wdp
03-09-2013, 20:53
I just received my G20 drop in .40S&W conversion barrel today. It looks well engineered and fits like a glove. I can't wait to try it out this week. Better not be BTF! Not that it has ever happened to me before.

ryangt
03-10-2013, 03:55
My KKM is awesome! 100% reliable with reloads. Fmj, jhp, lead all good to go! I actually use it in my EDC. And I shoot hot reloads!

Any Cal.
03-10-2013, 04:55
I have had the problem come and go in a LW barrel. Don't really know what caused it or fixed it, but I did clean and lube it well, especially around the ejector and extractor. I assume it was a culmination of a couple of things, as it came and went gradually. My guess is that clean and lubed along with additional break-in did the trick. I was shooting long loaded .40 brass in a 10mm barrel.

G29SFWTF
03-10-2013, 07:02
I have a KKM in my G29 and two for my G19, one compensated. Never have been hit with brass using a KKM that I can remember. Have been hit with brass from the 19 using stock barrel but there may have been other factors there, like I was newer to shooting, didn't have my ss guide rod yet.

The range I shoot at has a tin roof over the firing line. I like to step to the left and shoot the G29 from the uncovered area. When I do, my brass will usually fly to the right and UP and land on top. BLAM clank clank BLAM clank clank. I wonder how much brass I have left up there. One day the roof will collapse and I'll be :whistling:

wdp
03-10-2013, 07:31
Just an observation regarding the stock Glock 10mm barrel and the KKM drop in .40 S&W conversion. Comparing the two barrels side by side I do see the feed ramp is narrower on the KKM barrel and the muzzle is crowned slightly. Overall the millwork and finish are excellent. There's not a feedmark anywhere on the KKM barrel which is a testement to their quality. The engraving is also first rate. Very pleased, waiting for some range time to test fire.

pasky2112
03-10-2013, 17:24
For those of you who use the KKM drop-in 10mm barrel - does the ejecting brass hit you in the face?

I ask because I'm considering getting one, but so far my KKM 10mm-.40S&W barrel tends to launch the brass straight at my face. I end up with half-moon powder marks all over my face, not to mention the piece of hot brass that fell behind my safety glasses and gave me a new scar right near my eye. :crying:
I had the same problem and am a lefty as well. When I changed the ejector via a newer trigger housing, problem went away.
I LOVE KKM for AM BBLS. But they didn't have any effect... Nor my stock bbls for that matter...on how my cases were getting ejected.
Another problem that was fixed was badly dented case mouths (from hitting frame.. Not my forehead). That's my story...
HTH...

Kwesi
03-10-2013, 17:44
I purchased a KKM 10mm barrel several years ago but did not use it much until recently. I never had an issue with brass in the face. I did start having failure to feed with the nose on the ramp using 180gr PD FMJ's. I was told at the time of purchase to let him know if I had any feeding issues even though he (Kevin?) felt the PD's would cycle fine. I thought maybe I was limp wristing so I switched to the G20 OEM barrel and no issues. Then I went back to the KKM and had the same issues. I called KKM and they acknowledged the flat nose 10's can be problematic. They asked me to send it back and they would adjust the feed ramp. A week later I received what looks like a brand new barrel to me. Awesome service! I hope to get her out this week for a test run.

GotFour
03-10-2013, 20:03
No issues with brass in face......additionally I polished the ramp, chamber and breach face of my KKM to facilitate reliable feeding. Also changed out to 20# recoil spring and extra power mag spring loading 200 grn XTP @ 1290 fps, runs 100%.