Spikes's Tactical .22lr Dedicated Uppers are they any good? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spikes's Tactical .22lr Dedicated Uppers are they any good?

smokin762
03-29-2010, 08:51
I have been thinking of buying a Spikes Tactical dedicated .22lr upper for my AR15. I want the weight and feel of the real thing. If I like it and it functions good then I will probably buy a Lower Receiver for it later.

I currently own a Ruger 10/22 with a 20Ē barrel. I have installed a set of Tech Sights on it. They are A1 style sight. After installing them, I replaced the front sight post with an A2 sight and I changed the rear sight windage adjustment to a knob, which allows for a finer adjustment. This does allow me to have a sight picture of an AR15.

My Ruger 10/22 allows me to get the same group size as my AR15ís do at 100 yards but, the 10/22 just does not feel the same and the controls are completely different.

Before I throw down the money on one of these Spike Tactical dedicated uppers, I want to hear from any Spike ownerís out there that have a dedicated upper.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of?
How do you like it?
Does it eat anything you feed it?

Any information on these uppers would be nice.
Thank you for your help.

Here is the one that I want.:dunno:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_73&products_id=383

GSSF17
03-29-2010, 17:36
I have NEVER been disappointed with any of Spike's Tactial stuff. Very well done. I do not have any experience with their .22 uppers, though.

That being said......

Off topic, but months ago, I opted for a S&W M&P 15-22, as my "Dedicated" AR plat .22- and I love it. So much that I bought another one (newer one with the threaded barrel) and now have two. Couldn't be happier.

Post on what you decide.

Flipz
03-29-2010, 20:36
I suggest posting on AR15.com in order to get the info youre looking for. I will say however that I have heard nothing but good things about Spikes dedicated uppers.

smokin762
03-29-2010, 22:30
I have NEVER been disappointed with any of Spike's Tactial stuff. Very well done. I do not have any experience with their .22 uppers, though.

That being said......

Off topic, but months ago, I opted for a S&W M&P 15-22, as my "Dedicated" AR plat .22- and I love it. So much that I bought another one (newer one with the threaded barrel) and now have two. Couldn't be happier.

Post on what you decide.

I have considered the S&W M&P15-22. A friend of mine just bought one and he loves it. I am just not a fan of the picatinny handguard and some other features. I like mine to be stock A2ís.

I am a big fan of the Mid-Length gas system on the ARís too. I currently own three AR15ís and two of them have the Mid-Length handguards. I also prefer the standard front sight and I really want to stay in that style of firearm. I also want the feel of the weight to be similar to the ones that I already have.

I know itís just in my mind but if I get something different it will probably be in the back of my mind, I wish I had gotten the other one. I just want to make sure that Spikes are okay first before I commit to buying one.:dunno:

smokin762
03-29-2010, 22:40
I suggest posting on AR15.com in order to get the info youre looking for. I will say however that I have heard nothing but good things about Spikes dedicated uppers.

I have tried to sign up on AR15.com before but for some reason it does not like my email provider and it will not let sign up.:dunno:

I have seen others here on this forum talk about Spikes Conversion kits before but I couldnít find anything about dedicated uppers when I did a search earlier. They seemed happy with Spikes accessories though.

I guess it makes me nervous buying the unkown. I just donít know anybody personally that has Spikes Tactical products.:embarassed:

Flipz
03-30-2010, 10:02
Spikes dedicated .22lr uppers are regarded as the best in the business with Tactical Solutions dedicated .22lr upper coming in a close second.
They are both similarly priced but if it were me Id go with the Spikes. I have never heard a bad thing about them and did a lot of research on them as well. Id buy with confidence.

Harold Hecuba
03-30-2010, 20:24
I've had one for about a year and love it.

HH

smokin762
03-30-2010, 20:27
Spikes dedicated .22lr uppers are regarded as the best in the business with Tactical Solutions dedicated .22lr upper coming in a close second.
They are both similarly priced but if it were me Id go with the Spikes. I have never heard a bad thing about them and did a lot of research on them as well. Id buy with confidence.

As soon as I get my Income Tax Return I think Iíll order the Spikes Dedicated .22lr upper, it should be here soon. I want to do my part and help stimulate the economy.:whistling:

Now I am glad I kept that spare carry handle I have.

Thank you for your help.:wavey:

smokin762
03-30-2010, 20:30
I've had one for about a year and love it.

HH

What kind of groups do you get and at what distance? If you don't mind me asking.

MoNsTeR
03-30-2010, 22:01
It runs well when properly lubed and even works with standard velocity ammo. Fun to shoot. I have no idea how well it groups since I shoot so poorly with military sights.

Harold Hecuba
04-11-2010, 07:34
What kind of groups do you get and at what distance? If you don't mind me asking.

If I do my job, 5 rounds into the size of a quarter with good ammo off the bench with irons. I have only benched it 2-3 times as the thing is a blast to shoot service rifle positions. Round count is about 9k.

HH

smokin762
04-11-2010, 19:09
If I do my job, 5 rounds into the size of a quarter with good ammo off the bench with irons. I have only benched it 2-3 times as the thing is a blast to shoot service rifle positions. Round count is about 9k.

HH

Sounds good to me. I prefer to shoot with iron sights myself. I am going to order one this week with three mags. I will order more mags later.

Everything you said was what I wanted to here.

Thank you.:wavey:

WRXcelration
04-23-2010, 16:09
I have a few thousand round down my Spikes .22LR upper and It has run like a tank. I got 1" groups at 50 yrs from a bench w/ Federal Bulk ammo from Walmart. I am currently running a Primary Arms M3 clone.
The only issue I had was the spring guide c-clip broke after 1000rds. One call to Spike's and they sent me a new updated spring guide that doesn't have a c-clip and a free dummy round. I couldn't be happier.

Here it is on my Stag lower
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/wrxcelration/Random/DSC00705.jpg

smokin762
04-23-2010, 21:21
I have a few thousand round down my Spikes .22LR upper and It has run like a tank. I got 1" groups at 50 yrs from a bench w/ Federal Bulk ammo from Walmart. I am currently running a Primary Arms M3 clone.
The only issue I had was the spring guide c-clip broke after 1000rds. One call to Spike's and they sent me a new updated spring guide that doesn't have a c-clip and a free dummy round. I couldn't be happier.

Here it is on my Stag lower
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/wrxcelration/Random/DSC00705.jpg

You have a nice looking rifle.

UPS just dropped off my Spikes .22lr upper today. I cleaned it and inspected it this evening.

It looks like it is built very well. I am going to take it to the range saturday afternoon to see how it functions.

WRXcelration
04-24-2010, 00:47
Thanks smokin. Sorry for the crappy picture here is another one. Good luck with yours. You will love it. I definitely suggest running BDM mags as well

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/wrxcelration/Random/DSC00884.jpg

smokin762
04-24-2010, 18:10
I took my new dedicated .22lr upper to the range today. I attached it to my RRA lower with a 2-stage trigger and a MagPul CTR stock. I also did a function test on all five of the Black Dog mags that I bought to go with it as well. I put 350 rounds through this new upper today.

I sighted it in at 50 yards. Next time I will sight it in at 100 yards.

I tried out some CCI Mini Mags, Federal Bulk Pack and Winchester Super X. I will need to get some other brands so I can try them as well. So far, this thing will eat anything I am feeding it.

I only had two problems. (1). I guess the bolt did not go forward enough on one of the CCI rounds and I did not catch it. The round fired and the casing burst. Some of the brass hit me in the face and I had to dig out shrapnel out of the gun.

(2). The other problem was another CCI round would not completely chamber. The bolt would not go all the way forward. Good thing I caught it. I feel this was the ammo not the gun.

I love this thing. When I ordered it, I got it with an A2 front sight and I put a spare Bushmaster carry handle on it for a rear sight. This Upper has the weight and feel of its big brother. A bayonet fits on it also. Not that it really matters but I like the coolness of the idea it fits.:whistling:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=794&pictureid=2902

http://glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=794&pictureid=2901