Anyone have a pic of the infamous Glock smile??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pic of the infamous Glock smile???

G20gunner
03-29-2010, 11:35
I keep hearing about the Glock smile on the brass, but I've never seen it. Anyone have a pic to educate me?
Thanks!!!!

G20gunner:wavey:

_The_Shadow
03-29-2010, 23:32
I hope this shows up!

G20gunner
03-30-2010, 00:06
Thanks _The_Shadow, I appreciate the pic. That is nasty looking. I thought I saw some marks like that on some of my 10mm cases with the stock barrel, but not near that bad. Ever since I went to a KKM barrel, the marks are gone:supergrin:.

G20gunner:wavey:

ChrisTKHarris
03-30-2010, 00:08
Please excuse my ignornace, but is the Glock Smile caused by the lack of support of a Glock barrel?

HOV
03-30-2010, 08:44
Here are 6 cases, all with the Glock bulge but two with compromised brass.

The Double Tap casings in the middle have the beginings of it. Click the "All sizes" magnifying glass above the pic and then "original" to zoom in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27926538@N02/4471178187/in/photostream/

G20gunner
03-30-2010, 11:31
Here are 6 cases, all with the Glock bulge but two with compromised brass.

The Double Tap casings in the middle have the beginings of it. Click the "All sizes" magnifying glass above the pic and then "original" to zoom in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27926538@N02/4471178187/in/photostream/

Thanks for that pic, HOV. The two in the center looked about like what I was getting in my stock G20 barrel. Not all of them looked like that, just a few per 50rds. Anyway, with the KKM barrel, all is well.

G20gunner

HOV
03-30-2010, 11:48
No prob.

I got a KKM coming in soon, can't wait.

_The_Shadow
03-30-2010, 23:26
Just remember this situation is not limited to Glock barrels...There have been many barrel types which have a lack of support at the feed ramp area and some ammunition loaded to full potential do allow the casing to swell or deform to the point of compromise! Careful inspection is necessary to be certain of how the ammunition in use is performing in a given firearm.

The use of the aftermarket barrels with better diamentions help with the problems and make life better for handloaders. I have since discontinued purchase of used brass, so far with careful inspection/culling and use in my firearms my handloads have been 100%(knock on wood here) When in doubt toss it out!

jbremount
03-31-2010, 08:33
Please excuse my ignornace, but is the Glock Smile caused by the lack of support of a Glock barrel?

FWIK, the combination of the (1) lack of support in the 6'oclock area coupled with a (2)very large sized chamber. Some guns have a somewhat similar lack of case support, but a tighter chamber. In short, the more extreme 1 and 2, the more problems. Full case support and a tighter chamber (so the brass is not expanded and thinned out as much ) is better.

If you get an aftermarket barrel, you will get full support (for a auto cartidge)and a much tighter chamber. Both LW and KKM aftermarket barrels will do give you this plus conventional rifling. I use both the KKM and LW barrels and not even a faint hint of Glock smiley or brass buldging.

Hot loads get new brass. If I load light to moderate loads, I shoot used brass until i can't find it at the range.

jbremount
03-31-2010, 08:52
Thanks for that pic, HOV. The two in the center looked about like what I was getting in my stock G20 barrel. Not all of them looked like that, just a few per 50rds. Anyway, with the KKM barrel, all is well.

G20gunner

A few years back my friend had the very same problem with his first fifty 10mm handloads. He immediately bought a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel and all the above problems went away. YMMV on this subject, but I am a big believer in the aftermarket barrels for Glocks especially if you reload used brass, shoot lead bullets or shoot really hot ammo. I have them in all my glock guns.

ChrisTKHarris
03-31-2010, 10:21
FWIK, the combination of the (1) lack of support in the 6'oclock area coupled with a (2)very large sized chamber. Some guns have a somewhat similar lack of case support, but a tighter chamber. In short, the more extreme 1 and 2, the more problems. Full case support and a tighter chamber (so the brass is not expanded and thinned out as much ) is better.

If you get an aftermarket barrel, you will get full support (for a auto cartidge)and a much tighter chamber. Both LW and KKM aftermarket barrels will do give you this plus conventional rifling. I use both the KKM and LW barrels and not even a faint hint of Glock smiley or brass buldging.

Hot loads get new brass. If I load light to moderate loads, I shoot used brass until i can't find it at the range.

Perhaps when I get into reloads I will need to pick up a Lone Wolf barrel. :)

whiskey rebel1
08-27-2011, 19:41
Just remember this situation is not limited to Glock barrels...There have been many barrel types which have a lack of support at the feed ramp area and some ammunition loaded to full potential do allow the casing to swell or deform to the point of compromise! Careful inspection is necessary to be certain of how the ammunition in use is performing in a given firearm.

The use of the aftermarket barrels with better diamentions help with the problems and make life better for handloaders. I have since discontinued purchase of used brass, so far with careful inspection/culling and use in my firearms my handloads have been 100%(knock on wood here) When in doubt toss it out!

So if I want to shoot 'hot loads' from Buff Bore or someone else what is recommended?

jbremount
08-27-2011, 21:51
So if I want to shoot 'hot loads' from Buff Bore or someone else what is recommended?

IMO, get an aftermarket barrel that fully supports the "auto loader cartridge". I have a KKM and love it.

_The_Shadow
08-28-2011, 08:36

You don't mention which gun you wanted an aftermarket barrel for... :dunno:

I have the Storm Lake 10mm stock length for my Glock 29. LWD's barrel would be another choice I would use.
Good luck!

21Carrier
08-28-2011, 09:46

Just so you know, you don't HAVE TO buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot hot loads. Many will disagree with me, but you can fire any load from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap with a stock gun. It says so right on their website (BB). I have fired thousands of REALLY hot loads out of my G29's stock barrel with no issues. Even though I push really hard with my hand loads, I only have about 12 pieces of Glocksmiled brass after nearly 9,000 hot reloads.

There are several advantages to aftermarket barrels, but you DO NOT have to buy one to shoot ANY commercial ammo. The ONLY commercial ammo that I would worry about in a stock gun is Swamp Fox. His ammo is supposed to be the hottest. He says it is all fine for stock G20s, but not all G29s. He does, however, recommend an aftermarket barrel and 22lb spring.

Taterhead
08-29-2011, 00:45

You can run Buffalo Bore in a stock G20 according to them. No smiles at all in mine. They run great.

Swamp Fox has some "fully supported chamber only loads".

Taterhead
08-29-2011, 00:48
To follow up, only in one instance have I found smiles on any brass shot through my G20 factory barrel. I was running some 200gr loads over 1200 fps today (hand loads) with zero problems.

whiskey rebel1
08-29-2011, 12:43
You don't mention which gun you wanted an aftermarket barrel for... :dunno:

I have the Storm Lake 10mm stock length for my Glock 29. LWD's barrel would be another choice I would use.
Good luck!

G 20 2nd Gen. Thanks!