Are Smartphones insanely overpriced? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are Smartphones insanely overpriced?

TBO
03-29-2010, 12:27
If you purchase a Smartphone without a contract they run $400-$500+ for cutting edge.

This is the price of a laptop or netbook.

I would think they sell a lot more phones than laptops (of course, I think phones have even less longevity than laptops).

I know that research/development costs need to be covered, but it seems to me that smart phones should not cost quite as much as they do.

Is this just an arrangement between maker and carrier to pressure us into contracts, so we can get a discounted price on a Smartphone (in fact, the only way to afford one)?

What say you?

MavsX
03-29-2010, 12:47
i'm sure lots of it is r and d, yes..that stuff is capital intensive. But remember even though the laptop and netbook can do more so to speak. the smart phones have come along way, and can do most of the same tasks..and the key here..is the footprint is smaller. The smart phone is tiny compared to what is inside the laptops/netbooks.

also, for a laptop that costs 500 bucks? thats not going to be very powerful. just my 2 cents

hamster
03-29-2010, 13:02
There is no such thing as overpriced. When someone decides to purchase an item at a given price, they've decided that the price is worth it to them... for whatever reason.

For me, a smartphone makes doing business and personal transaction much much easier when traveling frequently and internationally. Lightens my load.

As soon as I can get my grubby mitts on a 3G iPad I'll be buying one of those to replace my netbook as well.

whoflungdo
03-29-2010, 13:56
I have a friend that works at a local carrier. The price you quoted is what they have to pay for the phones according to him. That's why the replacement/non-contract price is so high. The reason they only allow you to get the upgrade price every two years is, again according to him, it takes them 12 -18 months to recoup the difference in the discounted price and what they pay for the phones...

I haven't seen the number and am only going by what he has told me...

MavsX
03-30-2010, 12:56
There is no such thing as overpriced. When someone decides to purchase an item at a given price, they've decided that the price is worth it to them... for whatever reason.

you sound like an econ. professor i had like 6 years ago