Which gun to scope? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which gun to scope?

bandmasterjf
03-29-2010, 12:30
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->I came on to a good deal on a Leupold VI. I think its a 2-7x33. It's shotgun model with the NWTF logo on it. Still new in box. I got it for $100 so I didn't think I could go wrong. I've got two guns that I don't have a scope for. One is a youth modle NEF 223 that I got for my kids. It's got a red dot on it now and shoots less than .5" at 50 yards with a 6MOA dot. I've thought about using it for a varmint gun and have killed one deer with it and have thought about using it when I'm going on long treks into the woods because it's so light.

The other gun is my 30-30 marlin that I've not used in about 5 years for hunting, but it did shoot very well, but was semi-retired after I got a 243 and 25-06. I stole the scope off of it and put it on my ML.

So which gun to I put the scope on?

Bitmap
04-01-2010, 19:58
I would pick the Marlin. My reason is that if the NEF is still used by the kids they might start having eye relief issues with a magnified scope. The RDS essentially has infinite eye relief which helps avoid issues, especially when the same rifle is used by several people and when those people are different sizes. In contrast the magnified scope has a relatively short eye relief range.

Another reason I would mount that scope on the Marlin is that the shotgun scope probably has the parallax set to 75 yards are some fairly short range like that. That is better suited to a .30-30 than to a .223 that you intend to use for varmints.

bustedknee
04-01-2010, 20:28
Shotgun scope?

Put it on the 30-30.

bandmasterjf
04-02-2010, 07:00
Well, I didn't. I put it on the 223. The gun is an ultra-light youth model that I got for a >50 gun, so the paralex thing really isn't an issue. I went out and shot it off hand at 125 yards and managed about 1.75" groups. I put the red dot on the 30-30 so I could use it as a brush gun and wouldn't have to find the target throught the magnified scope.

Down at the 2x setting the gun has almost no eye relief, I could literally hold it like a pistol and look down the scope.

Thanks for the advice