Mosin Nagant M44 with a corroded barrel. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant M44 with a corroded barrel.

GlockMonk
03-29-2010, 13:52
Howdy, a friend of mine bought a Mosin M44 a while back, shot a few boxes of the mil-surp ammo, and put it away in storage. He's a new shooter, and did not know about the corrosive ammo, and did not do the proper cleaning method for the corrosive ammo.

He just took it out the other day, and the inside of the barrel was rusty, and looked corroded. Is there any way to salvage the barrel? I tried cleaning it with lots of penetrating oil, and Hoppes; and it looked better, but it still looked rough inside the barrel.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

GlockMonk

Blitzer
03-29-2010, 14:28
Not really.

It is permanently damaged, but using lots of cloth patches with Mothers metal polish or Flitz will remove the rust and leave what is left of the rifling intact. I bought one without close inspection because I trusted the shop to not sell junk, I was wrong! The bore was gray, fuzzy and copper covered inside. The polishing process removed the crud but there is noticeable damage to the lands and groves. It shoots OK but a new one will dance circles around it. A new one is $99.00 around these parts.

Rick O'Shay
03-29-2010, 14:32
I have "restored" a couple of Mosins like you describe. Shoot 10 rounds, clean with hot water and/or Windex, shoot 10 more rounds, clean again, etc. After about three sessions of 10 rounds each, with cleaning in-between, you will be very pleased with the process.

Adjuster
03-29-2010, 14:40
I would clean the crap out of it with oil and a brass bore brush. Then shoot the crap out of it with regular cleaning to get the corrosives out. I bet it will be okay after 20 rounds or so.

GlockMonk
03-29-2010, 15:21
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm scrubbing the heck out of it at the moment. The rifling still looked pretty strong, so I'll have him try the shoot & clean method, and see what happens.

It's a cheap commie surplus rifle, but we'd rather not see it go to waste unneccessarily, thanks.

GlockMonk