Terrible finish on "stainless" 10/22 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Terrible finish on "stainless" 10/22

PartyBible
03-29-2010, 19:04
This weekend a bud and I were off to the range to test out his new shotgun and my new g26. Per usual we stopped off at academy for a few boxes of ammo and perused the gun counter. they had a "stainless" 10/22 in stock, I asked to see it and they handed over. Although it looked stainless on the rack when they handed the rifle over it appeared to be primer coated light grey in color or maybe it was a rough finish. Regardless it looked awful.

I have read that the 10/22 reciever is Al, so when you purchase a stainless rifle is the barrel the only piece that is SS?

rscottk90
03-29-2010, 20:36
This weekend a bud and I were off to the range to test out his new shotgun and my new g26. Per usual we stopped off at academy for a few boxes of ammo and perused the gun counter. they had a "stainless" 10/22 in stock, I asked to see it and they handed over. Although it looked stainless on the rack when they handed the rifle over it appeared to be primer coated light grey in color or maybe it was a rough finish. Regardless it looked awful.

I have read that the 10/22 reciever is Al, so when you purchase a stainless rifle is the barrel the only piece that is SS?
Thts how its supposed to look. You saw the 1022 carbine. They dont do a stainless barrel stock, its hammer forged.

and yea they are ugly, i prefer the looks of my marlin model 60.

CajunBass
03-30-2010, 07:13
It's a matte finish. Not paint. At least the barrel. The receiver is aluminum, as every Ruger 10/22 has had since day one. That is painted.

Personally I think it looks just fine. Different the old ones, but practical.

Jason D
03-30-2010, 16:44
It's hard to find a nicely finished Ruger.

PartyBible
03-30-2010, 18:59
I was searching rimfire and picked up a bit more info. thanks for the replies, gents. I think I am going to find one used.

Bow Commander
04-08-2010, 10:56
I was searching rimfire and picked up a bit more info. thanks for the replies, gents. I think I am going to find one used.

That's a good idea. Atleast find one that is pre-plastic trigger group and barrel band.

bhk
04-13-2010, 18:06
I believe the early 10/22 aluminum receivers were anodized, not painted. My blued 1969 carbine certainly appears to be. It even has a metal buttplate, metal barrel band, and a walnut stock. I also have a newer stainless model. Not near as pretty, but functions just as well.

Titurel
04-14-2010, 02:47
Personally I see almost no reason to buy a brand new 10/22, unless you really want one right away and/or its a gift or something. The paint job on the receiver is not much better than you could do with a spray can. For the "stainless" effect I prefer to strip all the paint off and go with bare aluminum.