Gun lock question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun lock question.

zoti
03-29-2010, 23:22
I'm looking for opinions on the best gun lock (not a case or safe). I'm basically looking for a lock that will theoretically let me leave a loaded gun on a night stand with young kids around while making the gun completely harmless yet will enable me use of the gun in less than 2-3 seconds.

THIS IS JUST A THEORETICAL IDEA. PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME ABOUT GUNS AND KIDS.

Locks with a key are a problem since they require you hiding the key yet keeping it accessible and in a situation where you need quick access to the gun they are cumbersome.

Locks with a code take too long to operate.

Is there anything that is fingerprint operated?

farley45
03-29-2010, 23:27
Is there anything that is fingerprint operated?

Yes...

but they are safes.

Unless you were only saying that you do not want "large" safes in your OP. There are smaller biometric safes that will fit in/on your nightstand and allow quick access.

zoti
03-29-2010, 23:34
link to said fingerprint lock?

farley45
03-29-2010, 23:38
Here is one made by GunVault:

http://www.gunvault.com/multi-vault-biometric.html

zoti
03-29-2010, 23:39
I don't want a safe but a lock.

Why did you say those are "unsafe"?

farley45
03-29-2010, 23:41
About the same thing except cheaper:

http://www.gunvault.com/mini-mini-deluxe.html

I use one of these. Bought it from Cabelas for $100. The keypad is easy to use, as your fingers lay right on the buttons. I can get into mine in a matter of seconds.

farley45
03-29-2010, 23:45
I don't want a safe but a lock.

Why did you say those are "unsafe"?

I suppose then I do not understand what it is you are looking for.

If you are wanting a trigger lock that is operated by biometrics then I'm pretty sure that is not something that exists.

I did not comment on the safety of anything. What I said was there are small "safes" that use biometrics (like the in the link I posted), because I figured you were saying that you just weren't looking for a large safe.

But really, both of the small safes I posted will keep your firearms secure from children and you can gain access to both of them very quickly.

zoti
03-29-2010, 23:46
Mmm... Thanks for the help but are you really reading my posts?

EDIT: OK. looks like I misread your post as well. I thought you said they are unsafe.

And, yes. I'm looking for a lock that will enable me to leave the gun outside of a safe. like in the drawer or in the closet.

farley45
03-29-2010, 23:50
Mmm... Thanks for the help but are you really reading my posts?

Yes, but are you really reading mine?

You said you wanted to put a trigger lock on a loaded pistol and be able to gain access to it very quickly (possibly using biometrics).

I told you that probably is not going to happen, and gave you some very good alternatives so that you can keep your loaded handgun away from your children, but still gain access to it quickly.

zoti
03-29-2010, 23:54
It's ok. We are on the same page now.

Any other suggestions?

ChrisTKHarris
03-29-2010, 23:55
A GunVault whether it be the standard combo or biometric version will be your best bet. 1) You will be able to access your gun faster than having to use a key to unlock a gun lock and 2) It will be put away from idle hands. Take that badboy and mount it to your nightstand and you're good to go.

zoti
03-30-2010, 00:00
I don't want a box. What the best LOCK out there?

farley45
03-30-2010, 00:04
I don't want a box. What the best LOCK out there?

Google firearm trigger lock and see if you come up with anything other than combo or key locks (which also advise that you not put the trigger lock on a loaded firearm anyways).

It is not that we don't understand what you are looking for, its just what you are looking for and what you want out of it are two totally different things.

mad.gunsmith
03-30-2010, 00:10
look at the
<TABLE id=category_cmsblock_table class=category_cmsblock_table2><TBODY><TR><TD>TV-01 Trigger VAULT</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE FIREARM SECURITY

</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>http://www.gunvault.com/skin/frontend/default/gunvault/images/cms_block_images/products_images/cat9-img1.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

zoti
03-30-2010, 00:21
Well, that's actually good that there is nothing out there ;-)

That trigger vault looks like poop (no offence).

FAS1
03-30-2010, 06:55
I'm not aware of anything out there like you describe, probably because if it is just laying around it could "grow legs". Even if it is rendered harmless with such lock, your kids will play with it and who knows what piece of furniture it will end up under when you need it. I think the biometrics are getting better but there are huge differences in quality out there and what the acceptable failure rate is. From what I hear it can be anywhere between 1 in 5000 scans to 1 in 100,000 scans. Guess which one is used on most handgun applications?
I still like the pushbutton locks for speed and simplicity. I can push in a 3 button code and unlock it faster than the fingerprint scanner "wakes up" when you scan your finger. There might be others that are better than I have not demoed, but this is been my experience so far.

beforeobamabans
04-09-2010, 06:37
The reason you are not finding what you've described is because it's a BAD IDEA. Do your family a favor and (even if you don't want to hear it), buy a safe! $70 buys you a good Stack-On at Dick's. Then you can SAFELY secure your weapons away from your children and put your loaded gun on the nightstand in a condition where it can actually be used for HD.