Ubs hell (rant) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubs hell (rant)

inthefrey
03-30-2010, 10:08
Yes, the title should have been USB - But this is such BS!

I guess the TeckTalk section is the best place for this so here goes...

Can anyone tell me why there are 20 (just a guess) different types and styles of frigging USB connectors?!:steamed:

I just got another new cell phone HTC Touch Pro2. It TOO has a different style of USB/power plug.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Types-usb_new.svg/500px-Types-usb_new.svg.png

You think this is it?!!! WRONG!

I get this new phone and it has this goofy USB/Power connector and adapter. This means NONE of my gadgets from ANYTHING I owned before will work.
http://www.pdaextreme.com/images/htc_stereo_adapter-1.jpg

There should be a STANDARD! You know like, how many ways can you build a AA battery!!

Good Grief!:upeyes:

That is all.....***static***

TBO
03-30-2010, 10:41
Amen!

MavsX
03-30-2010, 12:52
yeah...USB has a lot of crappy connectors.. wait till they come out with USB 3, i wonder if that will change anything?

I dont understand why blackberry keeps slapping different connectors on their phones. It basically makes all the other power and computer cables worthless!

StuntPilot
03-30-2010, 13:40
Agreed. I ended up buying something like this at target. At least it works with my phone, and bluetooth headset. Plus, can serve as a printer cable on the road.

http://www.amazon.com/9-Piece-USB-Adapters-Kit-Case/dp/B000BRO3F0

whoflungdo
03-30-2010, 13:57

I dont understand why blackberry keeps slapping different connectors on their phones. It basically makes all the other power and computer cables worthless!

I think you just answered your own question.

Drjones
03-30-2010, 18:17
Wait....you want the "Universal Serial Bus" system to be.....truly universal?

Um, how would manufacturers screw us by making us buy all new accessories for our stuff all the time, huh?

Apple is the king at this kind of stuff.....

rscottk90
03-30-2010, 18:26
I agree, they need to pick on a stick with it. But atlas that will never happen. Ive got a usb cable that is usb on one end and has a standard connector on the other that hooks up to their adapters so it will work for everything. But u have to keep track of all the ends and what not.

+1 for sticking with one

Patrick Graham
04-01-2010, 09:30
And now, with USB 3.0.. even more different stuff..

ChristopherBurg
04-01-2010, 11:28
There should be a STANDARD!

The best part about standards is there are so many of them!

I feel your pain though. Every device I own seems to have a USB connector but they are all different types of USB connector. There's USB A, B, mini, micro, super-tiny-nano-micro-uber-small-atom-sized, etc.

That is the one thing I liked about FireWire, there was one connector (until Sony of course made their own called i.Link) for each type. FireWire 400 had a single type (minus Sony's), and FireWire 800 had a single type.

srhoades
04-01-2010, 21:58
I have a Plantronics bluetooth headset that I absolutely love and it's not even charged by USB, some little pin connector. Good grief.