GAP brass - Question and Comments [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GAP brass - Question and Comments

oregondrifter
03-30-2010, 12:20
New to the forum, but not to GAP or reloading.
I have just begun reloading for my G37 and G39. I purchased approx. 3000 rounds of once-fired brass with mixed headstamps.

My question is: Is there anything wrong with "Win NT" brass? I know that this Winchester's WinClean brass. I have read the posts by the 45 ACP guys who advise against using NT because of the small pistol primer hole. Also, some mention that the older NT brass had larger flash holes.
However, this .45 GAP NT brass has the appropriate primer size and the same flash hole as regular Win. brass. In fact, I see no difference with regualr Win .45 GAP brass at all. So, is there any reason why I should not use the Win NT brass?

Comments - after looking at 3000 rounds of once-fired .45 GAP brass -
Best to worst cases are:
1. Winchester and Win NT - Best
2. Remington -
3. Speer
4. Federal
5. Magtec - "CBC" - Worst.

Thanks, in advance, for your help. OD

jeffreybehr
03-30-2010, 15:58
Regarding the .45GAP:
1. I have no experience with Win. NT brass.

2. What criteria to you use to grade the brass by looking at it?

3. I've reloaded CBC, Federal, Speer, Speer nickel, Starline, SL nickel, and Win. They all reload just finely.

amazingphotos
03-30-2010, 18:49
45 ACP reloaders hate Win NT brass because it uses small primers while their "regular" brass uses small primers. With their equipment set for the Large size, the small size NT primer pockets can spoil their day. 45 GAP, however, uses small primers for both "regular" and Win NT brass and so should not be a problem.

Tang419
03-30-2010, 18:52
Im using Starline brass, and I have no problems with the quality of it either.

oregondrifter
03-30-2010, 23:21
2. What criteria to you use to grade the brass by looking at it?

3. I've reloaded CBC, Federal, Speer, Speer nickel, Starline, SL nickel, and Win. They all reload just finely.

Jeffrey -sorry if I offended your favorite brass.

I have been "looking at" and reloading brass for the past 20 years. It is not hard to see which companies are providing a better product. There is something about "good brass", looks good and even feels good in the hand. Kind of like the feel of a great, well polished firearm.

That said, I intend to use each and every case I have purchased. This is not long range competition shooting after all. OD

jeffreybehr
03-31-2010, 11:02
Jeffrey -sorry if I offended your favorite brass.

I have been "looking at" and reloading brass for the past 20 years. It is not hard to see which companies are providing a better product. There is something about "good brass", looks good and even feels good in the hand. Kind of like the feel of a great, well polished firearm.

That said, I intend to use each and every case I have purchased. This is not long range competition shooting after all. OD

You didn't offend me, and CBC isn't 'my favorite brass'. IF I have a favorite brand, it would be Federal for no good reason. I too have been reloading for decades, but I haven't learned to determine quality by appearance. :embarassed:

My only problem with GAP brass is that, at about 2500 pieces, I don't have enough of it. I'll be glad when that K of Starline arrives, IF they ever make it.

Tang419
03-31-2010, 12:41
You didn't offend me, and CBC isn't 'my favorite brass'. IF I have a favorite brand, it would be Federal for no good reason. I too have been reloading for decades, but I haven't learned to determine quality by appearance. :embarassed:

My only problem with GAP brass is that, at about 2500 pieces, I don't have enough of it. I'll be glad when that K of Starline arrives, IF they ever make it.

Holy hell. I thought I was doing ok to get 100 pieces...lol

If you want to compare brass quality by looks, you can tell more with rifle brass. The GAP is the first pistol I've reloaded for. But put a piece of Norma or Lapua brass next to Winchester and you can tell a difference.

BOGE
03-31-2010, 15:33
CBC brass is crap IMO. Third World crap made in Brazil to be exact. Their rim specs are all over the map.

Remember Ammo Rule No. 1:

NEVER buy ammunition from a country that has no potable water. :supergrin::wavey:

oregondrifter
03-31-2010, 15:36
CBC isn't 'my favorite brass'. IF I have a favorite brand, it would be Federal for no good reason.

I agree - the CBC appears to be have the thinnest casing and also, a thin, angle-cut rim. I will take your advise about the Federal and use some today.

Tang419 - there was a day when 100 cases would have been enough for me. I guess, I want to be sure I can shot my GAPs a long time. OD

Tang419
03-31-2010, 16:31
OD, you better believe now that I tried the GAP, Im going to be buying more supplies. I love my GAP more so than any Glock Ive owned. So now I gotta build up my Zombie supplies.

jeffreybehr
03-31-2010, 16:46
CBC brass is crap IMO. Third World crap made in Brazil to be exact. Their rim specs are all over the map.

Remember Ammo Rule No. 1:

NEVER buy ammunition from a country that has no potable water. :supergrin::wavey:

Wow. Boge, why beat around the bush this way? Tell us how you really feel.

Seriously now, I think you're wrong wrong wrong, but if any of you agree with Boge, PLEASE sell it to me instead of tossing it. E-mail me at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net if you have any...of ANY brand.

oregondrifter
03-31-2010, 16:51
If you don't mind once-fired range brass, there is a fairly good supply to be found on Gunbroker and Auction Arms. I ended up tossing less than 1% of what I recently purchased. OD

dbarry
04-02-2010, 17:18
NEVER buy ammunition from a country that has no potable water.

Thats great! Sounds like a good rule to follow. :rofl: