Yeah for Me - I'm Running Ubuntu! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yeah for Me - I'm Running Ubuntu!

Matt VDW
03-30-2010, 14:45
I have a Pentium 4 PC running Windows XP that my kids have played with for a few years. There's so much garbage on the hard drive now that I thought I would just start over from scratch and make it a Linux machine. (I've never used Linux before, but I like what I've read about it.)

So I started off by downloading Puppy Linux and burning it to a CD-ROM to use as a boot disk, but my PC wouldn't boot from the CD. I went into the BIOS and made sure that booting from the CD drive was the first option -- still no luck.

I repeated the process with another small Linux distribution; same result. I think the problem is that I didn't burn the discs slowly enough so the files didn't copy properly.

Then I tried using the disc that came with a copy of "Linux Format" magazine I bought. Unfortunately, though, the disc is a DVD and the PC doesn't have a DVD drive.

So now, having given up for the moment on my original project, I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 from that disc on my "good" PC which does have a DVD drive. Even though I failed at my original goal, I'm at least using Linux on something so I don't feel like a complete idiot. :tongueout:

MavsX
03-30-2010, 16:56
lol. Good work...i think. I'm actually going to start a new thread pretty soon..i just gotta get all the info. first before i post it.

its about using kismet within ubuntu.

boozer
03-30-2010, 20:05
I like the price.

Now if I could figure out how to make "Myth TV" work I would feel like a genius.

area727
03-30-2010, 20:32
Nice job. Ive been running Ubuntu full time for about a year now. Never have looked back at windows.

IndyGunFreak
03-30-2010, 20:56
I have a Pentium 4 PC running Windows XP that my kids have played with for a few years. There's so much garbage on the hard drive now that I thought I would just start over from scratch and make it a Linux machine. (I've never used Linux before, but I like what I've read about it.)

So I started off by downloading Puppy Linux and burning it to a CD-ROM to use as a boot disk, but my PC wouldn't boot from the CD. I went into the BIOS and made sure that booting from the CD drive was the first option -- still no luck.

I repeated the process with another small Linux distribution; same result. I think the problem is that I didn't burn the discs slowly enough so the files didn't copy properly.

Then I tried using the disc that came with a copy of "Linux Format" magazine I bought. Unfortunately, though, the disc is a DVD and the PC doesn't have a DVD drive.

So now, having given up for the moment on my original project, I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 from that disc on my "good" PC which does have a DVD drive. Even though I failed at my original goal, I'm at least using Linux on something so I don't feel like a complete idiot. :tongueout:

OK... now in reference to the other PC... did you burn the ISO as an image? If your machine was set to boot the CD drive first, thats probably why it was skipping it(assuming the drive and disk are good).. You cant just burn it to a disk... I suspect that was the problem. Follow the instructions below, by downloading ISORecorder(Its a good freeware iso burner). Burning slowly is definitely important.
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

Regardless, Puppy is not a good distro for a newb. It looks cute, but the idea behind Puppy is to run on very old, slow hardware. A Pentium 4, even if its the slowest one available, will run Ubuntu... How much RAM does that PC have? I've got a Pentium III Laptop that is running Ubuntu, and its fine. Does it run the latest games, etc..? No.. but I use it for a very specific purpose, which really just involves being able to use Open Office, and very light surfing.

I'm pretty well versed in Ubuntu/Debian/Mint Linux.. Lemme know if you need some help.

IndyGunFreak
03-30-2010, 20:59
lol. Good work...i think. I'm actually going to start a new thread pretty soon..i just gotta get all the info. first before i post it.

its about using kismet within ubuntu.

Ah.. kismet.

I've not really messed with it. It's not something I'm really *that* interested in, and even more so because my wireless devices require me to either patch my current kernel, or recompile a new one.. :) None of which interests me.

It was quite a while ago that I looked at it, so maybe there's been improvements.

IGF

SIGSAREBETTER
03-30-2010, 22:03
Cool I run Debian Linux on all 3 of my machines.

MavsX
03-31-2010, 05:19
Ah.. kismet.

I've not really messed with it. It's not something I'm really *that* interested in, and even more so because my wireless devices require me to either patch my current kernel, or recompile a new one.. :) None of which interests me.

It was quite a while ago that I looked at it, so maybe there's been improvements.

IGF

i forgot to bring my ubuntu laptop to work. I basically just want to get the G D program working. Apparently you have to put the wireless nic into monitor mode, but the built in driver can't do that, so you have to find the tar file unpack it and somehow replace the driver.

Then you have to change a few settings in a config file. Hopefully, i'll remember to bring that laptop tomorrow and then i'll find that thread i was going through from ubuntuforums and post it here.

I'm having some issues with my home WiFi, so i'm just trying to figure out what other Access Points are in the area and if they are all on the same channel or what.

Matt VDW
04-02-2010, 21:48
The good news: Thanks to IGF, I got my Ubuntu ISO file burned to a CD correctly and managed to install Ubuntu on my other PC.

The bad news: It's very slow. Brutally slow. Fat-guy-on-a-bicycle-with-two-flat-tires-pedalling-uphill slow. It's much slower than Windows XP was, which surprises me, but this PC has only 213 megs of RAM and the suggested minimum for a "graphical" install of Ubuntu is over 300.

My next step is going to be opening up the case to see if I can install more RAM.

IndyGunFreak
04-02-2010, 22:26
The good news: Thanks to IGF, I got my Ubuntu ISO file burned to a CD correctly and managed to install Ubuntu on my other PC.

The bad news: It's very slow. Brutally slow. Fat-guy-on-a-bicycle-with-two-flat-tires-pedalling-uphill slow. It's much slower than Windows XP was, which surprises me, but this PC has only 213 megs of RAM and the suggested minimum for a "graphical" install of Ubuntu is over 300.

My next step is going to be opening up the case to see if I can install more RAM.

Edit: I just realized something, did you type the above before you installed to the Hard Drive? Any Linux distro is going to run slow from the CD on that PC. Live CD's rely heavily on RAM. So when you say "Installed" Is it installed on the Hard Drive?

The RAM is the reason its so slow... if you can get it to 512 that will be an enormous help. RAM that old, is cheap on Ebay. I'd figure out what it maxes at, and max it out. I maxed an old PC that sounds like it was from that era, for $39(768mb). As for being slower than XP... I'd suspect one of two things. 1. You have some serious hardware incompatibility, or 2. You have desktop effects enabled. Look at menu System/Preferences/Appearance/Visual Effects --- make sure that is set to "None"

If that doesn't work or If you find for whatever reason upgrading your RAM is not feasible...You have two options... Since you're installed, test all your hardware, and make sure everything is working ok(Internet, Sound, etc..). Who cares of its slow, just get everything tested. If for whatever reason you do not upgrade your RAM, I would completely skip option 1 below, and go straight to 2.

1. Xubuntu - Xubuntu only requires 192mb RAM on an installed system. It uses a desktop GUI called "XFCE" as opposed to Gnome, which is what you're using now. It's actually very similar to Gnome(Xfce was designed to take some bloat out of Gnome for slower systems)....
Check it out.... (screenshots, etc.. at the link below)
http://www.xubuntu.com
http://xubuntu.org/get (system req)

2. Unless you can get your RAM to around 512, I would STRONGLY recommend installing the fluxbox edition of Linux Mint. Fluxbox, is yet another GUI for the desktop. It's not quite as pretty as KDE/Gnome/Xfce, but it is very functional, and generally quite fast even on low RAM. It does take a little getting used to, but once you get it, its highly configurable.
Here's a screenshot. I couldn't find any good screenshots online, so I attatched screenshots of my PC on the Mint Fluxbox live CD(I know below it says 256mb of RAM, but there is no way thats accurate.)
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/mintflux1.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/mintflux.jpg

System Requirements:
* x86 processor
* 256 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 3 GB of disk space for installation
* Graphics card capable of 800600 resolution
* CD-ROM drive or USB port
Download: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=48

Mint stays fairly current, and is based on Ubuntu, so you'll have pretty good hardware support, etc.. with Mint. Once you get used to Flux, it will run on just about everything. It is a community edition, so it will lack the ability to play video files, mp3's, etc.. but thats no problem, I can tell you how to add that after you install.

If neither of those two work to your satisfaction.. There are some other options, but they get much more complex, very quickly.

Need any help or have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

IGF

Matt VDW
04-06-2010, 15:39
I swapped out my system's lone 256 megabyte DIMM with a pair of 512 megabyte DIMMs and it made a world of difference. (I still have two empty slots but I don't know if adding another gigabyte of RAM would be worthwhile.)

Ubuntu 9.10 now runs like a real OS. Firefox still doesn't load some websites well (e.g., MidwayUSA) but I can live with it.

IndyGunFreak
04-06-2010, 16:17
I swapped out my system's lone 256 megabyte DIMM with a pair of 512 megabyte DIMMs and it made a world of difference. (I still have two empty slots but I don't know if adding another gigabyte of RAM would be worthwhile.)

Ubuntu 9.10 now runs like a real OS. Firefox still doesn't load some websites well (e.g., MidwayUSA) but I can live with it.

Do you have Flash installed? Midway loads fine for me...

I'm guessing going from 256 to 1gig, will make a huge difference. It will run faster w/ 2gigs obviously, but if all you use it for is surfing, mail, etc.. it would probably not really be worth it.

IGF