hardened buckshot vs. unhardened [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hardened buckshot vs. unhardened

Austinite
03-31-2010, 02:11
What's your preference between hardened shot and soft lead buckshot? Hardened buckshot reportedly patterns and penetrates better. Is there any extra wounding produced from soft lead buckshot?

Does it even matter or is it largely irrelevant?

frankr
03-31-2010, 02:25
I buy the 15 shell Remington Express 00 Buckshot value pack. For my home defense situation of not more than 25 feet it's irrelevant. My shells pattern great out of my 18 1/2” cylinder bore barrel. Remember at that short of distance you have to aim a shotgun and practice, practice then practice some more. You want the pattern in the BG not the wall next to him.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

mixflip
03-31-2010, 09:08
Remember, your pattern on average will only spread 1 inch every 10 feet so at close range you can miss very easily. Frank already said it. "practice" or as appi will tell you...get some training!!!!

Ebb27
03-31-2010, 21:41
Okay we all agree practice is a fine thing but is there any real advantage to hardened shot???

I'd tend to agree that at SD type ranges the patterning difference isn't going to be of any great significance, but penetration would be the major advantage or disadvantage depending on the situatation.

I also tend to doubt that the soft stuff is really going to be soft enough to cause any major difference in wounding factors.

Of course this is just speculation on my part, it would be interesting if someone had some actual hard data.

Oh and don't forget to practice. ;)

smitret
04-04-2010, 22:24
Remember, your pattern on average will only spread 1 inch every 10 feet so at close range you can miss very easily. Frank already said it. "practice" or as appi will tell you...get some training!!!!

My understanding is buckshot group will widen 1" for every yard traveled not 10'.

Loads that I have patterned seem to follow the guidelines I have suggested.

Pattern yours to be sure.

Good Luck

Lloyd-Xmas
04-09-2010, 14:36
My understanding is buckshot group will widen 1" for every yard traveled not 10'.

Loads that I have patterned seem to follow the guidelines I have suggested.

Pattern yours to be sure.

Good Luck

That has been my experience as well. At 15 yards my cylinder bore Mossberg 500 is around 18".

Ferdinandd
04-09-2010, 20:28
I do believe, but have not proven to myself, that hardened shot patterns more densely and uniformly. However, there is one other factor, and that is buffering material. It is used to limit damage to pellets during set-back under recoil. My tightest patterns with 00bk are with a full-length shot cup and BPI buffering material. 9-12 inches at 25 yards with improved choke.