Degroat Nano [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Degroat Nano

emt1581
03-31-2010, 11:50
Now that it has been out for a few months, has anyone heard anything about them from other owners or got a chance to use one themselves?

It looks like the best bang for the buck on the market by far! It can shoot over a dozen different calibers, uses baffels, wipes and can be used wet. Plus it can be completely taken apart for cleaning. Oh yeah and it's 100% TITANIUM so it should hold up pretty well.

I saw a youtube video on it but other than that, I haven't really seen or heard anything. Please share what you've got.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

Fireman1291
04-01-2010, 11:16
Ive fondled one that my SOT had in his safe. Very precise machining and laser engraving. I've never heard it in person, only on the net. I own James' MK9 MOD0 can for my M9, great can very well built and sounds good to.

The nano is a great little can.... Ti, wipes, multical use, and no booster needed. It would look right at home on a threaded Beretta21a or PPK.:cool:

Buy one and let us know how is sounds:whistling:hehe

emt1581
04-01-2010, 11:41
Ive fondled one that my SOT had in his safe. Very precise machining and laser engraving. I've never heard it in person, only on the net. I own James' MK9 MOD0 can for my M9, great can very well built and sounds good to.

The nano is a great little can.... Ti, wipes, multical use, and no booster needed. It would look right at home on a threaded Beretta21a or PPK.:cool:

Buy one and let us know how is sounds:whistling:hehe

I actually emailed James yesterday and am waiting for a response.

I'm not buying anything until I find out...

1) What calibers it can handle (a complete list!), rather than just the few that are listed on his site.

2) Why it doesn't need a ND/Booster?

3) What it sounds like without wipes/wet? Seems to me that the baffel system isn't any good without at least a wipe in it.

I haven't seen ANY reviews on this online and given that it's been out for a few months now, I find that a little odd.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Fireman1291
04-01-2010, 14:05
Its WAAAAYY light, this is why it doesnt need a booster. The weight will still allow a browning type action to unlock.

It was designed as a wipe/wet only can because of its lack of volume.

It can handle .22, 25, .32, .380, 9mm.

emt1581
04-01-2010, 14:09
Its WAAAAYY light, this is why it doesnt need a booster. The weight will still allow a browning type action to unlock.

I didn't know that but it makes sense.

It was designed as a wipe/wet only can because of its lack of volume.

So if one ran out of wipes it's basically useless right? I usually only use breakfree to wet my OutbackII every mag or two...what else can be used?

It can handle .22, 25, .32, .380, 9mm.

On the site it lists more than that, "plus many others". Again, I'd like to know the complete list. What about .223, .17, etc.?

-Emt1581

RWBlue
04-01-2010, 19:20
When asking about other calibers, think bore size and gas volume.

All the 17 rem fires will be OK.
All the 22 rem fires will be OK.
223, HELL NO..unless you are hand loading them to make them produce less gas.

emt1581
04-01-2010, 19:25
When asking about other calibers, think bore size and gas volume.

All the 17 rem fires will be OK.
All the 22 rem fires will be OK.
223, HELL NO..unless you are hand loading them to make them produce less gas.

Oh ok. That makes sense.

I know it's just wishful thinking but it'd be nice to have a can that could handle anything from a .45acp (diameter-wise) on down. That'd mean .45, 10mm/.40S&W, 9mm, .357sig, etc...a one can fits all type of deal. Again, just wishful thinking.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

RWBlue
04-01-2010, 19:43
Oh ok. That makes sense.

I know it's just wishful thinking but it'd be nice to have a can that could handle anything from a .45acp (diameter-wise) on down. That'd mean .45, 10mm/.40S&W, 9mm, .357sig, etc...a one can fits all type of deal. Again, just wishful thinking.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I don't know if I would try a 10mm in a 45ACP suppressor. This would be gas volume related.

My SWR didn't work with 45Super until it was modified. It should be able to do 10mm also.

A 9mm suppressor should do 300-221 subsonic, but I would want Degroat to verify that since his suppressor is different.

Fireman1291
04-02-2010, 06:25
He is suppossed to be working on a 45 can that is wiped and boosterless.....You might want to ask him if hes close to releasing it, or if you should pull the trigger on the nano.

BTW the wipes last approx 20rds IIRC, there is a video of him out there shooting it until it gets loud from a worn out wipe.

To me this can doesnt have a place on a target range, but rather around your house dispatching critters while not alarming others.

emt1581
04-02-2010, 12:42
He is suppossed to be working on a 45 can that is wiped and boosterless.....You might want to ask him if hes close to releasing it, or if you should pull the trigger on the nano.

BTW the wipes last approx 20rds IIRC, there is a video of him out there shooting it until it gets loud from a worn out wipe.

To me this can doesnt have a place on a target range, but rather around your house dispatching critters while not alarming others.

I dunno...still hasn't responded to me yet. He responded within the hour that last few times I emailed him. But he could be on vacation or just really busy.

As far as the Nano, yes, it does seem like it'd be better for non-target shooting. I know I've used my can to dispatch MANY ground hogs that were trying to get at my garden...works like a charm! Plus I'm guessing a 9mm would do a MUCH better job than a .22lr. But if he is coming out with a wiped/boosterless .45acp...so long as I could use 9mm and a bunch of other calibers in it, I'd rather have that, even though I'm not a huge .45acp fan.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Jakk
04-02-2010, 23:39
So if one ran out of wipes it's basically useless right?
You can make your own. It's just a sheet of neoprene rubber cut into disks.

But if he is coming out with a wiped/boosterless .45acp...so long as I could use 9mm and a bunch of other calibers in it, I'd rather have that, even though I'm not a huge .45acp fan.

My experience has been that a 1-size-fits-all can is going to be less effective in all calibers. If you are primarily going to use 9mm, get a 9mm can. The mini, wet, wiped cans are kind of a niche offering. For general shooting, a larger boosted can is going to be a better option for most people. (that being said, I'm still tempted to get a Nano, or the Poseidon from Thompson Machine).

Fireman1291
04-03-2010, 08:00
You can make your own. It's just a sheet of neoprene rubber cut into disks.

My experience has been that a 1-size-fits-all can is going to be less effective in all calibers. If you are primarily going to use 9mm, get a 9mm can. The mini, wet, wiped cans are kind of a niche offering. For general shooting, a larger boosted can is going to be a better option for most people. (that being said, I'm still tempted to get a Nano, or the Poseidon from Thompson Machine).

Totally agree!:cool:

Liquid
04-03-2010, 18:07
looks pretty neat and the price seems reasonable. i would like to see how the numbers compare to an evo's 128.

emt1581
06-18-2010, 00:44
I know it's been two months but I wanted to update yall on what Degroat responded with...

"Pretty much any pistol caliber under 9mm and that is not a magnum round. If you have a certain caliber you would like to know if it will work with let me know what they are.

It was not made to work with .223 or any rifle calibers.

The reason the Nano do not need a booster, is because of the size and weight of the suppressor is light enough that one is not needed.

The suppressor will reduce the sound level when fired dry, but the way the baffle/monocore is design it's designed to be fired wet."

My question is...what calibers are under a 9mm? I take that to mean 9mm, 9mm Mak, .380, 357sig, 32acp, 25, .22lr, .22mag, .17. Am I missing any? Are there any I included (like the .357sig) that might not work?

I know, as was mentioned if I want the best 9mm can to GET a 9mm can. But having a suppressor that I can take off of my Glock and screw on to my MKII...I'm sorry but that's is just awesome on a whole nother level!! :cool:

Any other cans even come close to being that versatile?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

freakshow10mm
06-18-2010, 00:56
Yes. You can shoot a smaller bullet through a larger hole. If you get a 9mm can and shoot .22 rimfire through it, you will be pleased with 9mm performance and disappointed at .22 rimfire performance.

Get a 9mm can and a .22 can.

RWBlue, for the gas volume issue with 10mm, I'd just download it subsonic rather than full power 10mm. For full power 10mm you have to accommodate the volume for up to and including 18gr of powder. That's a lot of gas volume to contend with from a relatively compact package (the .44 mag takes 20-22gr of powder or so for full power loads).

emt1581
06-18-2010, 01:28
Yes. You can shoot a smaller bullet through a larger hole. If you get a 9mm can and shoot .22 rimfire through it, you will be pleased with 9mm performance and disappointed at .22 rimfire performance.

RWBlue, for the gas volume issue with 10mm, I'd just download it subsonic rather than full power 10mm. For full power 10mm you have to accommodate the volume for up to and including 18gr of powder. That's a lot of gas volume to contend with from a relatively compact package (the .44 mag takes 20-22gr of powder or so for full power loads).

Why will I be disappointed? Why would a can that can quiet a 9mm round, not do a decent (if not better) job quieting a round that is smaller, possibly slower, lighter, etc.?

AFAIK, this is also the smallest and lightest can on the market.

-Emt1581

RWBlue
06-18-2010, 08:12

Maybe not since he is using wipes.

Probably if you want the BEST performance. But if you are thinking of buying a cheap 9mm Can and a cheap 22LR Can, I think I would rather suggest buying a good 9mm can and see how disappointed you really are with the 22LR.

True, you can down load the 10mm, but then it is just a 40S&W with a long case. AND probably more importantly, What happens when you send a FULL powered 10mm down the pipe?

BTW, Does anyone have the DB number on this suppressor?

freakshow10mm
06-18-2010, 08:30
Why will I be disappointed? Why would a can that can quiet a 9mm round, not do a decent (if not better) job quieting a round that is smaller, possibly slower, lighter, etc.?
The bore diameter is too large versus the bullet diameter to effectively cut off the gas flow and slow it down. Gas will leak around the bullet and get ahead of the bullet. It will be quite loud and not efficient. The smaller the bore and the smaller the gas volume the quieter the suppressor will be. There are a few like the 45 TiRant that have very advanced baffles that make it quieter than most 9mm cans but that is rare.

AFAIK, this is also the smallest and lightest can on the market.

-Emt1581
If weight is the number one criteria, then it looks like this is the one.

Maybe not since he is using wipes.
Don't know. Everything I've read on wipes indicates they are as effective at suppression as many want. Quiet for a magazine or so and then get real loud.

Probably if you want the BEST performance. But if you are thinking of buying a cheap 9mm Can and a cheap 22LR Can, I think I would rather suggest buying a good 9mm can and see how disappointed you really are with the 22LR.
Don't forget to match the threads or get an adapter.

True, you can down load the 10mm, but then it is just a 40S&W with a long case. AND probably more importantly, What happens when you send a FULL powered 10mm down the pipe?
I'm sure those few makers that have a .40 caliber can engineered it for the 10mm as well. I wouldn't think anything of it.

BTW, Does anyone have the DB number on this suppressor?
Don't know if ****worth tested it. Haven't been to his site in a while. Don't know about ST either.

emt1581
06-18-2010, 08:42
The bore diameter is too large versus the bullet diameter to effectively cut off the gas flow and slow it down. Gas will leak around the bullet and get ahead of the bullet. It will be quite loud and not efficient. The smaller the bore and the smaller the gas volume the quieter the suppressor will be. There are a few like the 45 TiRant that have very advanced baffles that make it quieter than most 9mm cans but that is rare.

With respect to the wipes, so long as you use a fresh wipe per caliber, wouldn't the bore diameter...or rather opening...be the exact size of the bullet? Or does the internal space matter more?

If weight is the number one criteria, then it looks like this is the one.

Of course it's not the number one criteria...sound suppression is.

Don't know. Everything I've read on wipes indicates they are as effective at suppression as many want. Quiet for a magazine or so and then get real loud.

Did you mean to say "aren't as effective"?

I'm sure those few makers that have a .40 caliber can engineered it for the 10mm as well. I wouldn't think anything of it.

Don't know if ****worth tested it. Haven't been to his site in a while. Don't know about ST either.

-Emt1581

RWBlue
06-18-2010, 09:01

I have heard the same thing. It is great for tactical use, where Seals/Special forces.....go in to shoot one person/gather intel...., but after one mag it gets LOUD.

It shouldn't be a problem with 9mm and 22LR as they usually use the same thread pattern. But it is always a consideration.

freakshow10mm
06-18-2010, 09:41
EMT, sorry that should have stated "aren't". Wipes are used to make up for lack of volume for the most part. They are used for smaller than optimal cans used in personal diplomacy for the most part. I personally don't care for wiped cans as I shoot more than one mag when I shoot so replacing the wipe so often is just a chore rather than enjoyment.

The bore diameter of the baffle system is never the same size as the bullet. There has to be a larger hole than the bullet because the bullet is not stabilized at the muzzle but several feet/yards from the muzzle. The bullet is slightly "wounded duck" on its axis while it's in the suppressor. Generally speaking, the bore aperture in a baffle system is .05" over bullet diameter, so a 9mm or .355 bullet is about a .40 caliber aperture. Some will run a tight bore like YHM's 556 Phantom has a blast baffle bore of less than a quarter inch which is scary tight. As in I'm a Class 2 SOT and have been designing and developing my line of silencers for 2 years and even running NC equipment to exacting tolerance, I'd never run a tight bore like that. Sheesh.

I have heard the same thing. It is great for tactical use, where Seals/Special forces.....go in to shoot one person/gather intel...., but after one mag it gets LOUD.
Yep, pretty much.

It shouldn't be a problem with 9mm and 22LR as they usually use the same thread pattern. But it is always a consideration.
9mm generally uses a 9/16-24 or 36 thread (depending on rifle or pistol application) and the .22 use a 1/2-28 thread. I have heard of 9mm guns having the 1/2-28tpi so I'm sure it's OK structurally.

RWBlue
06-18-2010, 21:38
9mm generally uses a 9/16-24 or 36 thread (depending on rifle or pistol application) and the .22 use a 1/2-28 thread. I have heard of 9mm guns having the 1/2-28tpi so I'm sure it's OK structurally.

Hmmm, all the ones I was looking at, were 1/2-28.

freakshow10mm
06-18-2010, 22:17
That has been a new trend I have been seeing from a couple different manufacturers lately. The industry standard has been 9/16 thread on 9mm, 1/2 thread on .22 rimfire and centerfire, with 5/8 being for .30 calibers, and the oddball .578 thread for .45 pistols.

If you can get a 9mm can threaded 1/2-28 that might be a better option.

emt1581
06-18-2010, 22:55
EMT, sorry that should have stated "aren't". Wipes are used to make up for lack of volume for the most part. They are used for smaller than optimal cans used in personal diplomacy for the most part. I personally don't care for wiped cans as I shoot more than one mag when I shoot so replacing the wipe so often is just a chore rather than enjoyment.

I see where you're coming from. I agree. When I'm at the range, I love nothing more than letting loose with my Outback II. I can shoot that thing all day and aside from a squirt and an occasional twist/tightening...nothing to worry about.

However, when it comes to the suppressor actually serving a purpose, whether it be pest control or whatever, I don't plan on firing more than a few shots. Obviously there are other uses but we'll leave those out and just use pest control as a blanket for the sake of argument..

So having a can that'll be SUPER quiet for a single mag should really shine when it's needed. As I see it, limiting use to a single mag per wipe is a trade off for the shortest/lightest/most versatile can on the market...at least that I've ever seen. So far no one has been able to show one that's better all around.

The bore diameter of the baffle system is never the same size as the bullet. There has to be a larger hole than the bullet because the bullet is not stabilized at the muzzle but several feet/yards from the muzzle. The bullet is slightly "wounded duck" on its axis while it's in the suppressor. Generally speaking, the bore aperture in a baffle system is .05" over bullet diameter, so a 9mm or .355 bullet is about a .40 caliber aperture. Some will run a tight bore like YHM's 556 Phantom has a blast baffle bore of less than a quarter inch which is scary tight. As in I'm a Class 2 SOT and have been designing and developing my line of silencers for 2 years and even running NC equipment to exacting tolerance, I'd never run a tight bore like that. Sheesh.

I wasn't talking about the baffels I was talking about the wipes. If The can had a fresh wipe in it, and it was on a .22lr...the hole in the wipe would only be as big as the bullet, so in terms of gas escaping, it would be the same amount/ratio as with a 9mm bullet...no?

I see what you're saying with the baffles though. Makes sense. I'm just thinking that with wiped cans...the wipes might matter slightly more... just a guess though as I have no experience with wipes.

Yep, pretty much.

9mm generally uses a 9/16-24 or 36 thread (depending on rifle or pistol application) and the .22 use a 1/2-28 thread. I have heard of 9mm guns having the 1/2-28tpi so I'm sure it's OK structurally

In terms of the threading, my LWD G26/G19 barrel is 1/2x28. I put my can on it just for s**** and giggles and it worked just fine.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581
06-19-2010, 23:28
http://silencerresearch.com/degroat_nano_vs_thompson_machine_poseidon.htm

Nano vs. Poseidon

Worth a look IMO...

-Emt1581