Recommend me a mobo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a mobo

gwalchmai
03-31-2010, 13:10
I need a box to play with Win 2008 Server (x64). I have an ATX case, but I need a mobo/CPU. Socket 775 w/4GB RAM probably unless you think something better. I'd like to stay (well) under $500.

Thanks!

IndyGunFreak
03-31-2010, 13:55
I need a box to play with Win 2008 Server (x64). I have an ATX case, but I need a mobo/CPU. Socket 775 w/4GB RAM probably unless you think something better. I'd like to stay (well) under $500.

Thanks!

I would find an ASUS or MSI board that meets that criteria. Those are the only two boards I'll use, and they've all outlived the useful life of the computer.

Just go putz around on Newegg and Tigedirect and look at motherboard/cpu combos. I would recommend you get a combo that has the stock Intel fan.

What's the server gonna do? That makes a difference also...

IGF

gwalchmai
03-31-2010, 14:11
I would find an ASUS or MSI board that meets that criteria. Those are the only two boards I'll use, and they've all outlived the useful life of the computer.

Just go putz around on Newegg and Tigedirect and look at motherboard/cpu combos. I would recommend you get a combo that has the stock Intel fan.

What's the server gonna do? That makes a difference also...

IGFIt will have several uses - I'll use it to learn Server 2k8, it will be used as a file server to backup some of our laptops (probably around 200GB of storage), it'll run an FTP server, and it'll run DFS to replicate data from another server. So it'll do a lot of backup functions but won't stop us if it's down for a bit from time to time.

IndyGunFreak
03-31-2010, 14:20
It will have several uses - I'll use it to learn Server 2k8, it will be used as a file server to backup some of our laptops (probably around 200GB of storage), it'll run an FTP server, and it'll run DFS to replicate data from another server. So it'll do a lot of backup functions but won't stop us if it's down for a bit from time to time.

OK.. so we're not talking like a heavy game server or something like that...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5699706&CatId=1599

Here's a bit more about the processor...
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42805

MavsX
03-31-2010, 16:58
you need a board that supports USB 3.0