Somebody peel me off the ceiling - PLEASE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Somebody peel me off the ceiling - PLEASE

MinervaDoe
03-31-2010, 15:23
After an embarrassingly long time of owning my Glock my Glock 20sf, I finally loaded up fifty 165 grain TMJ's with Unique.

I was shaking like a prom queen as I loaded up my first magazine. I think I did okay though. I kind of surrounded the bullseye and talked real mean to it.
http://www.madmumblings.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10514/normal_IMG_1450.jpg

Once I settled down and got used to the trigger (I'm spoiled by the trigger on my G34) I think I improved my second 10 round group.
SEVEN YARDS - I think I'll keep it. No Glock bulges at 1,020 fps...

http://www.madmumblings.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10514/normal_IMG_1451.jpg

PBRLite
03-31-2010, 15:29
Nice work. Unique is one of my favorite plinking powders for 10mm. What's up with the Austin Powers pic?

Fire_Medic
03-31-2010, 15:33
Nice shooting a G20SF is on my short list for my next gun. Already have Unique on hand and ordered some WSF yesterday.

MinervaDoe
03-31-2010, 16:39
Nice work. Unique is one of my favorite plinking powders for 10mm. What's up with the Austin Powers pic?
Thanks.
Yeah, I've liked Unique in the past for other calibers. One of manuals listed this load as the most accurate for a 170m grain. Seems to work for 165grain too.
The Austin Powers picture is actually a freezer magnet and it is holding my latest target on the fridge. Honest, I'm not trying to give anybody a hint or anything. My garage decorations are real fancy aren't they?

Nice shooting a G20SF is on my short list for my next gun. Already have Unique on hand and ordered some WSF yesterday.
I saw your sig and I thought someone called the fire department. "It's okay, I'm not really stuck on the ceiling".
I was surprised how manageable the G20 was. After I shot the G20, I shot my Glock 34 and I brought some old hollowpoints which had been loaded up with a Blue Dot load from an old Sierra manual. When I got home, I checked my other manuals and they were like two grains lighter than the load I shot today. I was wondering why my 10mm was easier to shoot than my 9mm. :rofl:

I think you'll enjoy having a Glock 20SF. That's the most fun I've had for a long time (but I need to get out more).

Free Radical
03-31-2010, 16:44
Good shootin'

MinervaDoe
03-31-2010, 16:51
Good shootin'
Thanks. It was a big surprise to me. I had surgery on my hand two months ago and I have a relatively sensitive scar in the palm of my hand. I was a little worried that my shooting days were over and I was going flinch big time with a 10mm.

I was also happy my reloads didn't go kaboom too.

HOV
04-01-2010, 06:22
How much powder?

G33
04-01-2010, 06:43
:supergrin::supergrin::wavey:

MinervaDoe
04-01-2010, 09:40
How much powder?
6.5 Grains of Unique

:supergrin::supergrin::wavey:
Hey G33. I recently looked up a bunch of your posts in the .357 sig forum. The Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my Glock 20 is a few steps down on my wish list, but it is there.

PBRLite
04-01-2010, 10:16
You chrono those over 6.5 gr. of Unique, by any chance?

MinervaDoe
04-01-2010, 10:47
You chrono those over 6.5 gr. of Unique, by any chance?
No. I had to guess-timate the speed.

HOV
04-01-2010, 12:25
6.4-gr. Unique under a 180-gr. FMJ is currently my fave. Behaves very nicely in my stock G20.

MinervaDoe
04-01-2010, 12:58
6.4-gr. Unique under a 180-gr. FMJ is currently my fave. Behaves very nicely in my stock G20.
It's weird guestimating without a chronograph.
I'm using "The Complete Relaoding Guide for the 10mm."
When I pull the Nosler data out of it, it says:
170 grain HP - 6.5 grains of Unique = 1025 fps
180 grain HP - 6.3 grains of Unique = 1051 fps

You go up in bullet weight. You decrease the powder and the fps increases. This stuff is so non intuitive.

At 180 grain, the most accurate load is listed as 5.8 grains of Unique at 993 fps.

:faint: I'll stop trying to guess-timate now. I looked through my manuals and the Lyman manual listed a speed for the 165 grain with 6.5 grains of Unique as 1012 fps (using a Universal receiver with a 5 inch barrel).

leadslinger13
04-01-2010, 19:19
doesn't that make them 10mm light?

MinervaDoe
04-01-2010, 21:00
I believe that my testing, while not extensive, has shown that the 10mm light can consistently penetrate paper.

Now, if somebody wants to supply me with some ballistics gel, or if R. Lee Erme wants to invite me over to blast some water melons, I'll give the old powder bar bolt on my Dillon 550 a twist and crank out some blasting ammo.

leadslinger13
04-02-2010, 05:21
don't get me wrong. I think that was fantastic shooting. better then i could do. I was referring to the point that shooting that round would in fact be as soft shooting if not softer that the 34 with faster Hp's. Plus i like to practice with what i may have to use. It lets me become familiar with its characteristics.

MinervaDoe
04-02-2010, 09:25
I was referring to the point that shooting that round would in fact be as soft shooting if not softer that the 34 with faster Hp's.
I'm not sure about the muzzle energy, but imagine my surprise when after shooting the 10mm, my 34 was kicking harder. :wow:

Now I realize that I would like to pick an accurate load for my 9mm and reload all of that empty brass that I have laying around.

Plus i like to practice with what i may have to use. It lets me become familiar with its characteristics.
That's always been my philosophy on my other rounds and it has worked out great. (9mm = 115 grain hot, 45 ACP = 185 grain 900 fps, .357 slightly hotter than +P so I can train with it in my SP101, .44 Mag 185 grain mild loads for controllability).
I'm not sure how to handle my self defense loads in the 10mm yet.
I have 450 rounds of 165 grain TMJ and 500 rounds of 180 grain TMJ to load up. Currently, I only have 700 rounds of Starline 10mm brass.
So, I'm going to load this stuff up first and shoot some of it up.

Right now, my main goal is to develop accurate loads that do not get the Glock bulge.

I will pick up a box of bulk hollowpoints some time in the near future. I would really like to load up some 135 grain bullets. But, I'm afraid that if I'm going to avoid bulged brass, I will need to stay in the 10mm light category.... at least for now. Also, I haven't found any bulk bullets in 135 grain (just expensive boxes of 100).

..... So, with my goals in mind,...

Bulk Bullets
no bulge in the brass
decent self defense load
I'm thinking about a 155 grain load which is outside the range of 10mm light. We'll see how well the brass wears.

But right now, I feel like the heavier gun gives me a real advantage for follow on shots and I think it is just a matter of ratcheting it up until the brass shows excessive wear (smilies) and then back it back down.

Anybody got a preferred self defense load that they would like to post?

texas 48
04-03-2010, 17:47
I'm not sure about the muzzle energy, but imagine my surprise when after shooting the 10mm, my 34 was kicking harder. :wow:

Now I realize that I would like to pick an accurate load for my 9mm and reload all of that empty brass that I have laying around.

That's always been my philosophy on my other rounds and it has worked out great. (9mm = 115 grain hot, 45 ACP = 185 grain 900 fps, .357 slightly hotter than +P so I can train with it in my SP101, .44 Mag 185 grain mild loads for controllability).
I'm not sure how to handle my self defense loads in the 10mm yet.
I have 450 rounds of 165 grain TMJ and 500 rounds of 180 grain TMJ to load up. Currently, I only have 700 rounds of Starline 10mm brass.
So, I'm going to load this stuff up first and shoot some of it up.

Right now, my main goal is to develop accurate loads that do not get the Glock bulge.

I will pick up a box of bulk hollowpoints some time in the near future. I would really like to load up some 135 grain bullets. But, I'm afraid that if I'm going to avoid bulged brass, I will need to stay in the 10mm light category.... at least for now. Also, I haven't found any bulk bullets in 135 grain (just expensive boxes of 100).

..... So, with my goals in mind,...

Bulk Bullets
no bulge in the brass
decent self defense load
I'm thinking about a 155 grain load which is outside the range of 10mm light. We'll see how well the brass wears.

But right now, I feel like the heavier gun gives me a real advantage for follow on shots and I think it is just a matter of ratcheting it up until the brass shows excessive wear (smilies) and then back it back down.

Anybody got a preferred self defense load that they would like to post?

165gr Montana Gold JHP 9.8 power pistol new. Starline. Brass cci 350 LPM. 1280 3.78 barrel 1320 4.06 inch barrel. 1360 6 inch. NO bulges,smiles or flat primers. 1000 rounds fired. 1.257 to 1.260 OAL

MinervaDoe
04-03-2010, 19:11
165gr Montana Gold JHP x.x power pistol new. Starline. Brass cci 350 LPM. 1280 3.78 barrel 1320 4.06 inch barrel. 1360 6 inch. NO bulges,smiles or flat primers. 1000 rounds fired. 1.257 to 1.260 OAL
Glock barrel or aftermarket.
Maybe one of your acronyms already said this ..... but, I'm asking ...

texas 48
04-03-2010, 21:32
Glock barrel or aftermarket.
Maybe one of your acronyms already said this ..... but, I'm asking ...

Normal case swelling no significant bulging @ the bottom of case out of my G20 4.06 barrel and 6 inch Glock barrel. Less case swell with Lonewolf Distributors barrel. I use LWD barrel for range only since I never have had any FTF with Glock Barrel but have had a few with the Lonewolf. By the way make sure of your crimp, the crimp diameter should not be less than .421 inches. Max load for Power Pistol with 165gr JHP is 10.0 grains.

MinervaDoe
04-03-2010, 22:11
By the way make sure of your crimp, the crimp diameter should not be less than .421 inches. Max load for Power Pistol with 165gr JHP is 10.0 grains.
I'm a hair under .423.

So, 1320 fps with a stock Glock 20 barrel and no excessive bulging. ... 165 grain bullet

Good to know ....

I haven't tried Power Pistol yet, but it's always at the high end of the reloading charts. I'll probably stick to a published load though. Yours is higher than any published load I could find.

You don't have one of the older Glock 20's with a tighter chamber do you?

leadslinger13
04-04-2010, 07:34
been away trying to get things back up and running at the barn from the bad winter. My spare time has been filled with getting this saiga 76.2 converted and sighted . It's a hoot to shoot, lots of fun.

I have read that most like to use 165 for summer self defense then the 180 for winter. I am more of a bigger is better and would like to start loading 200 for everything. Although i have seen some good stuff even with the 135 frag nasty. you tube has some good vids on bullet comparisons. the 10 mm reloading forum here has a ton of info on various rounds.

I haven't had the chance to set up my reloader and get extra cash to start.

I have been plinking with GA 180 canned heat rounds i think they are about 1200-1250, super manageable.

can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

alwaysshootin
04-04-2010, 10:09
Once I settled down and got used to the trigger (I'm spoiled by the trigger on my G34) I think I improved my second 10 round group.

Just sayin, you can have that same trigger in your G20 as your G34, for very little money, and effort! Disconnecter trade out and buff job.

G33
04-04-2010, 11:00
6.5 Grains of Unique

Hey G33. I recently looked up a bunch of your posts in the .357 sig forum. The Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my Glock 20 is a few steps down on my wish list, but it is there.

Good deal!.

FWIW, 8.0 gr. Unique is an accuracy load in my .41 mag.
:wavey::supergrin:

MinervaDoe
04-04-2010, 11:17
Good deal!.

FWIW, 8.0 gr. Unique is an accuracy load in my .41 mag.
:wavey::supergrin:
My accuracy load for my .45 ACP also uses Unique. Old guy, old powder. Makes sense.

Just sayin, you can have that same trigger in your G20 as your G34, for very little money, and effort! Disconnecter trade out and buff job.
I think I'm going to do the G21, G26 and G20 all at the same time. :supergrin:
I can find it on the Glock site, but Midway, Brownells and Lone Wolf don't seem to carry it. Who does carry it?
The 2,0 kg / 4.5 lb. connector marked with a small (-) has a softer Trigger Pull compared with the standard options and is particularly popular among sport shooters. Standard with GLOCK 34 and 35.

texas 48
04-06-2010, 21:56
I'm a hair under .423.

So, 1320 fps with a stock Glock 20 barrel and no excessive bulging. ... 165 grain bullet

Good to know ....

I haven't tried Power Pistol yet, but it's always at the high end of the reloading charts. I'll probably stick to a published load though. Yours is higher than any published load I could find.

You don't have one of the older Glock 20's with a tighter chamber do you?

Check Alliant' s website http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=165&shellid=30&bulletid=41&bdid=124

Max Load for 165 gr Power Pistol is 10.0gr 1.255 OAL CCI 300 primers.1314 ft/sec

I just made 10 rounds of these and fired them thru my stock G20sf Brand new Made 2/09 barrel and no bulges no pressure signs at all.

MinervaDoe
04-06-2010, 22:25
Thanks.
There we go. That's the published load data I needed. I'm real conservative when it comes to reloading. If I can't find it in a manual, I won't shoot it.

It's funny though. They don't have a PowerPistol load for 155 grain.

I looked in my Lyman manual and they have a more conservative Power Pistol load for 165 grain and they also have a 155 grain. You'd think Alliant would put up a better manual.

Taking a third look at the Alliant data and it is interesting that their 180 grain Blue Dot load goes faster than their 165 grain Blue Dot load. Almost as though their marketing guys are pushing the Power Pistol and biased the 165 grain Blue Dot load down. :supergrin:

texas 48
04-06-2010, 23:21
There we go. That's the published load data I needed. I'm real conservative when it comes to reloading. If I can't find it in a manual, I won't shoot it.

It's funny though. They don't have a PowerPistol load for 155 grain. And, they also don't have a 155 grain Power Pistol load. Do you think there are pressure problems with the lighter bullet or do you think they just didn't bother?

Inquiring minds want to know.

They don't because they have not tested a 155 gr with power pistol. I know because I have talked to Alliant. Their explanation is that they just don't test every bullet weight with each powder. Result is you are left to your own common sense and experience . You can drop back a full grain and work up. I think that max for 155 grain is about 10.2 to 10.3gr. I would start at 9.0 gr and work up until you see pressure signs.

I know that with the 165gr Montana Golds that 9.7 9.8 @ 1.255 are safe loads in my Glock 29, 20, and 20sf. I have made about 1000 in each load. Every gun is a little different but with 10.0 being max published load I am confident that these loads are reliable and safe and give me excellent velocity energy and accuracy.

I need to order some more MG's and Power Pistol but have enough to make up about 150 or the 10.0gr and after chrono and more testing will probable use them for SD. I am expecting 1330 to 1360 ft/sec equal to DT loads, more reliable and consistent and much cheaper 17.50 per 50 vs 43.50 per 50 from DT with shipping included.

Have you checked out http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp or http://stevespages.com/400p_3.html good info there.

I am also very picky about reloading but some common sense goes a long way. I have loaded some Nosler 150gr to 10.3gr power pistol with no pressure signs but loading data says max load is 9.7gr. This makes no sense since 10.0 grains is max for 165 gr bullet which is a longer heavier bullet. 10.6gr is max for 135gr and I have tested those with no pressure signs. Using Glock barrels from newer G20 and G20sf models which have better chamber support than the older models. I also have a 6 inch Glock barrel and a 4.06in Lonewolf aftermarket that I can use. With the 6 inch barrel you gain about 75 to 100 ft/sec on the same loads.

I always start a grain lower than max and work up 5 bullets @ a time until I see obvious pressures signs and then back off .1 to .2 grain.

Knowing there is a 10% safety margin built in to max published data I am going to work up my 165gr up .1 at a time until I see the pressure signs and then back down. I use a Pact Powder dispenser and scale which is very reliable and very accurate, then I make sure I never go under 1.255 OAL. @ 10.2 grains I will start moving the OAL out to 1.260. Next time out I will chrono every thing until I am positive that get max velocity without pressure signs. I always use new brass. I have seen on the 10mm Forum people have pushed the 165gr with PP to 11.0gr at 1.255 and have reached over 1400 ft /sec but I would not even try that heavy a charge.

Always good to be inquisitive but also fun to find the optimum load by experimenting with precision.

MinervaDoe
04-07-2010, 09:12
I have tested those with no pressure signs. Using Glock barrels from newer G20 and G20sf models which have better chamber support than the older models.
Do you have a link to your source on this info.?
Just curious ...

Also, any links to a 135 grain load that you like would be helpful. .... but I might just use up some of my existing stock of Blue dot for my first batch.

Kegs
04-07-2010, 18:51
Looks like a good handload formula. I have some 165s that I loaded up with 10.2 grains blue dot and can shoot nice tight groups like that out of my 29. clearly you have the better load - 'cause it costs you less powder to run 'em! :supergrin:

MinervaDoe
04-07-2010, 22:35
clearly you have the better load - 'cause it costs you less powder to run 'em! :supergrin:
:rofl: I really do look at it that way now. I was just getting used to the economy of loading with Unique and then I settled on a Blue Dot load which I am going to use for my 135 grain hollow point loads. And I'm all of the sudden thinking, "Crap! That's going to use nearly twice as much powder."
Call me cheap.

Any idea what's the speed of your Blue Dot load? Guesstimating from my Sierra manual, I'd guess you are a hair under 1100 fps.
When I switch my Dillon over to Blue Dot, I might put together fifty 165 grain loads and compare it to my Unique load for accuracy. I'm greedy and I think I can tighten those groups up a little once I shake those new gun jitters.

uz2bUSMC
04-08-2010, 02:28
They don't because they have not tested a 155 gr with power pistol. I know because I have talked to Alliant. Their explanation is that they just don't test every bullet weight with each powder. Result is you are left to your own common sense and experience . You can drop back a full grain and work up. I think that max for 155 grain is about 10.2 to 10.3gr. I would start at 9.0 gr and work up until you see pressure signs.

I know that with the 165gr Montana Golds that 9.7 9.8 @ 1.255 are safe loads in my Glock 29, 20, and 20sf. I have made about 1000 in each load. Every gun is a little different but with 10.0 being max published load I am confident that these loads are reliable and safe and give me excellent velocity energy and accuracy.

I need to order some more MG's and Power Pistol but have enough to make up about 150 or the 10.0gr and after chrono and more testing will probable use them for SD. I am expecting 1330 to 1360 ft/sec equal to DT loads, more reliable and consistent and much cheaper 17.50 per 50 vs 43.50 per 50 from DT with shipping included.

Have you checked out http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp or http://stevespages.com/400p_3.html good info there.

I am also very picky about reloading but some common sense goes a long way. I have loaded some Nosler 150gr to 10.3gr power pistol with no pressure signs but loading data says max load is 9.7gr. This makes no sense since 10.0 grains is max for 165 gr bullet which is a longer heavier bullet. 10.6gr is max for 135gr and I have tested those with no pressure signs. Using Glock barrels from newer G20 and G20sf models which have better chamber support than the older models. I also have a 6 inch Glock barrel and a 4.06in Lonewolf aftermarket that I can use. With the 6 inch barrel you gain about 75 to 100 ft/sec on the same loads.

I always start a grain lower than max and work up 5 bullets @ a time until I see obvious pressures signs and then back off .1 to .2 grain.

Knowing there is a 10% safety margin built in to max published data I am going to work up my 165gr up .1 at a time until I see the pressure signs and then back down. I use a Pact Powder dispenser and scale which is very reliable and very accurate, then I make sure I never go under 1.255 OAL. @ 10.2 grains I will start moving the OAL out to 1.260. Next time out I will chrono every thing until I am positive that get max velocity without pressure signs. I always use new brass. I have seen on the 10mm Forum people have pushed the 165gr with PP to 11.0gr at 1.255 and have reached over 1400 ft /sec but I would not even try that heavy a charge.

Always good to be inquisitive but also fun to find the optimum load by experimenting with precision.

You've really dove into the 10mm thing, brotha! That's great to see. Well, if you don't mind, post those chrono numbers here from your next outting.

:wavey:

Fire_Medic
04-08-2010, 07:23
I saw your sig and I thought someone called the fire department. "It's okay, I'm not really stuck on the ceiling".
I was surprised how manageable the G20 was. After I shot the G20, I shot my Glock 34 and I brought some old hollowpoints which had been loaded up with a Blue Dot load from an old Sierra manual. When I got home, I checked my other manuals and they were like two grains lighter than the load I shot today. I was wondering why my 10mm was easier to shoot than my 9mm. :rofl:

I think you'll enjoy having a Glock 20SF. That's the most fun I've had for a long time (but I need to get out more).

Don't worry if you were stuck I'd leave you up there for a while first and get the laugh out of it. ;)

As luck would have it I found an outstanding deal on a NIB G29SF locally and will be picking it up later on today.

:pepper:

MinervaDoe
04-08-2010, 08:34
Don't worry if you were stuck I'd leave you up there for a while first and get the laugh out of it. ;)

It's funny how a couple of extra minutes of thinking about your mistakes can provide a little needed humility.

My neighbors cat climbed our tree the other day and then freaked out and couldn't get down. I had to explain to my wife that we didn't actually want to call the fire department and that cats have been climibing trees in the wild for thousands of years (unassisted by man).

But people needing help from the fire department .... let's just say I'll bet you have some funny stories and some related comments on Darwinism.

As luck would have it I found an outstanding deal on a NIB G29SF locally and will be picking it up later on today.

:pepper:
Congratulations. You can check one more thing off that wish list. Very cool.

Kegs
04-13-2010, 18:33
:rofl: I really do look at it that way now. I was just getting used to the economy of loading with Unique and then I settled on a Blue Dot load which I am going to use for my 135 grain hollow point loads. And I'm all of the sudden thinking, "Crap! That's going to use nearly twice as much powder."
Call me cheap.

Any idea what's the speed of your Blue Dot load? Guesstimating from my Sierra manual, I'd guess you are a hair under 1100 fps.
When I switch my Dillon over to Blue Dot, I might put together fifty 165 grain loads and compare it to my Unique load for accuracy. I'm greedy and I think I can tighten those groups up a little once I shake those new gun jitters.

I actually made a critical mistake above - the ones I loaded were 155grainers - XTPs and I have yet to get a chrono - but one of these days...I will get one.

MinervaDoe
04-13-2010, 18:55
.... I have yet to get a chrono - but one of these days...I will get one.
Me too. I guess I'm not in a hurry. I've been shooting for forty five years and I still don't have one. I guess I'm more concerned with which bullets make tight little groups than with how fast they zip out of the barrel.
Plus
Call me cheap.

bac1023
04-18-2010, 10:11
Good shooting :thumbsup: