Aftermarket tritium Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket tritium Sights

POOR_MAN
03-31-2010, 21:42
Which aftermarket night sights do you prefer and why?

Tru-Glo, Ameriglo, Trijicon, Mepro-Light etc.....

I am looking for something used on a G19 and in an IWB Comp Tac MTAC.

Installation shouldn't be an issue, a local Glock armorer is taking care of that for me. (in fact he said he was a member here) He made a few suggestions, I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

I realize this question is probably one of the most reoccuring questions, I apologize. Unfortunately I was having some difficulty with the search feature and it was putting my laptop in danger of being damaged. Bare with me please, I am not very savy with this forums controls. Sorry for what I know is probably a very redundant question.

Thanks!

JVO
03-31-2010, 22:12
I wouldnt buy used rear sights for the fact that they may fit one gun but after being installed and taken off they may not fit yours.

RedHaze
03-31-2010, 22:22
This is out of a thread in the Sights Optics and Lasers subforum. Figured I'd pass it on, as IMO it's a great post explaining night sights.

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and often have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

These are what I'm sporting on my 23. Personally I love them.
AmeriGlo Pro Operators - $79.20 using discount code "GSSF" at ameriglo's site.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/100_1117.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4435/glocksights5.jpg

POOR_MAN
03-31-2010, 22:27
I wouldnt buy used rear sights for the fact that they may fit one gun but after being installed and taken off they may not fit yours.

Not "used'

aftermarket = not factory. :cool:

Will new sights fit appropriately on a new weapon? In this case a 3rd generation G19.

POOR_MAN
03-31-2010, 22:43
This is out of a thread in the Sights Optics and Lasers subforum. Figured I'd pass it on, as IMO it's a great post explaining night sights.

AmeriGlo Pro Operators - $79.20 using discount code "GSSF" at ameriglo's site.

Great info. Thanks. Ameriglo was recommended to me by person I know.

Interesting that they have "trijicon" printed on them. Does Trijicon OEM produce sights for Ameriglo? Or vice versa?

Just curious why they have Trijicon on them. Is it only because Ameriglo uses trijicon lamps?

DrtyHarry
03-31-2010, 22:49
Every one of my handguns, including my Glocks and 1911s all have Mepros.

DH

bentbiker
03-31-2010, 23:04
Red . . . psssst . . . somebody stole your 23 and substituted a 34.

bentbiker
03-31-2010, 23:13
Just curious why they have Trijicon on them. Is it only because Ameriglo uses trijicon lamps?The tubes are from Trijicon. Maybe they now make the whole sight.

RedHaze
03-31-2010, 23:28
Red . . . psssst . . . somebody stole your 23 and substituted a 34.

Psssst. It was a reference for the Pro Operators... not of my gun silly. :tongueout:

Lamps are Trijicon.

JVO
03-31-2010, 23:49
Not "used'

aftermarket = not factory. :cool:

Will new sights fit appropriately on a new weapon? In this case a 3rd generation G19.

NIB is the way to go. I thought you were buying used ones that were installed and taken off.

rfd339
03-31-2010, 23:59
I have Trijicon sights on all my handguns.

HAMMERHEAD
04-01-2010, 04:55
Heinie Straight Eights. I like the dot over dot and they have a batter daytime sight picture than the rest.
Warren sights are similar.

DannyR
04-01-2010, 04:57
There are only two or three tritium vial manufacturers in the entire world--Trijicon and Meprolight, possibly a third. Everyone I can think of uses either trijicon or Meprolight tubes in their sights.

That being said, I highly recommend Ameriglo for three reasons:
1. selection
2. optional front sight heights
3. customer service

See them at www.ameriglo.com

Now, if you are going to be frequently exposed to bad weather, the Glock factory night sights are the only ones that are Tenifer treated.

mr smithglock
04-01-2010, 07:49
if its a newer glock with the grayish blackish color barrel buy meprolites it matches so sweet looking. if not and it has the shinny black barrel then get trijicons

Feanor
04-01-2010, 08:04
^^^ditto, mepro-lights are the best bang for your buck, particularly those from glock.

ked
04-01-2010, 08:07
i have tru-glo TFOs on my gun. they may not be as durable (especially the front), but i love them. they have trinium AND fiber optics.

ked:wavey:

jkalantzis
04-01-2010, 08:13
i have tru-glo TFOs on my gun. they may not be as durable (especially the front), but i love them. they have trinium AND fiber optics.

+1 I love mine.

SpeedReload
04-01-2010, 09:52
I just put TFOs on my G30. I absolutely love them. If I did not have that, I would go with Meps or Ameri.

POOR_MAN
04-01-2010, 16:56
if its a newer glock with the grayish blackish color barrel buy meprolites it matches so sweet looking. if not and it has the shinny black barrel then get trijicons

Yeah it's newer and does have a grayish barrel I suppose.

Although cosmetics aren't a huge issue for me. It is after all a Glock.

Just kidding of course,

POOR_MAN
04-01-2010, 17:00
There are only two or three tritium vial manufacturers in the entire world--Trijicon and Meprolight, possibly a third. Everyone I can think of uses either trijicon or Meprolight tubes in their sights.

That being said, I highly recommend Ameriglo for three reasons:
1. selection
2. optional front sight heights
3. customer service

See them at www.ameriglo.com (http://www.ameriglo.com)

Now, if you are going to be frequently exposed to bad weather, the Glock factory night sights are the only ones that are Tenifer treated.

Is there a source to buy Glock factory night sights from? Honestly I haven't looked around for Glock brand night sights, didn't think too. I already have the G19.

I may just go with Ameriglo, they have been highly reccommended by a number of sources. Just curious, you all have been very helpful,

Thanks, if anyone has anything else to add, I am all ears.

POOR_MAN
04-01-2010, 17:03

My only concern with those, is this is going on a carry gun, that will most likely spend a lot of time banging around in a IWB holster.

Although, I am certianly no expert, the Truglo's may be much more durable than I am giving them credit for.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

elde
04-01-2010, 17:28
As a test, I put TFO's on my 19 and 38. Two months carrying one or the other just about every day in a Serpa holster. No issues as of yet. I will say that the tritium on these is much dimmer than either Ameriglos, Trigicons or Mepros at night. Still easily usable but dimmer. Love 'em for daytime use.

Ameriglos are still my favorite. Plenty of options, Trigicon tritium lamps & great pricing.

Armed-N-Ready
04-01-2010, 18:16
Considering that tritium has an active life of twelve years, It wouldn't be wise to buy 'used' night sights without knowing how old they actually are?

RedHaze
04-01-2010, 19:52
^^^ They have a date stamped on the sight.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4435/glocksights5.jpg
H3 is the symbol for tritium. 09 is the year they were made.

drew4691
04-01-2010, 19:55
Trijicon, 12 yr glow warranty

Rayden
04-01-2010, 20:46

I have Tru-Glo on mine as well. Love them at night and even more so in the day.