Vista drivers in XP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vista drivers in XP?

jpa
04-01-2010, 11:13
I'm reinstalling Windows on a friend's laptop that was getting bootup errors. The pc came with Vista installed, but I refused to go anywhere near that disaster so I don't have a disc. So I put XP Pro on it. Problem now is that XP doesn't have any of the drivers for the hardware built in so device manager is nothing but a bunch of yellow exclamation points. Looking at HP/Compaq's support web site, there's no drivers listed for this model under XP, but all the drivers are listed as available under Vista. I'm wondering, will the drivers work in XP? What do you guys think the worst will be that happens? I figure worst case I just reinstall windows again.

ChristopherBurg
04-01-2010, 11:31
Between XP and Vista Microsoft did some major revamping to how drivers are handled in the operating system. XP drivers may or may not work in Vista and Windows 7. Windows Vista drivers should work in Windows 7. But Windows Vista and Windows 7 drivers probably won't work in XP.

But if you want to give it a shot I say just try to install them. The absolute worst that can happen is they either won't install or the computer will blue screen after installation (since the machine isn't working yet this shouldn't be a problem).

But I do advise trying an upgrade to Windows 7 instead of a downgrade to XP. The drivers and everything should work and 7 is pretty decent overall.

GIockGuy24
04-01-2010, 14:25
Laptops require some pretty special drivers. The newer laptops that weren't available with XP have to have the hardware broken down to generic names of the chipsets and locate the proper XP drivers. Since Vista came out this has been pretty popular to do and there is a lot of info on the internet.

Toyman
04-01-2010, 14:57
Good luck with that. You can try it but it probably won't work. You could try some of the drivers for the hardware from another model, that might work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

jpa
04-02-2010, 08:32
Laptops require some pretty special drivers. The newer laptops that weren't available with XP have to have the hardware broken down to generic names of the chipsets and locate the proper XP drivers. Since Vista came out this has been pretty popular to do and there is a lot of info on the internet.

I'm kinda leaning toward this. The mobo is an nVidia chipset, as is the graphics card. The NIC is a broadcom ethernet/wifi card. The sound card is Sound Max....I know all these devices have XP counterparts, it's just a matter of locating one that works.

As for upgrading to Windows 7, if it were my PC I would consider it. However it's not mine, I'm not charging her to fix it so I'm not going to spend the $$ on it. I'm not even sure she would want to spend the money as the screen is cracked in the bottom right corner. It might be worth it to spend another $200 on a faster and smaller laptop.

IndyGunFreak
04-02-2010, 09:48
I'm kinda leaning toward this. The mobo is an nVidia chipset, as is the graphics card. The NIC is a broadcom ethernet/wifi card. The sound card is Sound Max....I know all these devices have XP counterparts, it's just a matter of locating one that works.

As for upgrading to Windows 7, if it were my PC I would consider it. However it's not mine, I'm not charging her to fix it so I'm not going to spend the $$ on it. I'm not even sure she would want to spend the money as the screen is cracked in the bottom right corner. It might be worth it to spend another $200 on a faster and smaller laptop.

Don't know if you tried this, but try Googling the model laptop and "XP Drivers"... My Laptop came w/ Vista, and had no XP support on Acer's homepage. I got a deal on the laptop and it only had 1gig of Ram, so I never even bothered trying to boot Vista. Upon doing the above, I found a site that had XP drivers for my laptop.

I don't really use XP, but I have a small partition on my laptop for a couple of thingds(20gigs).

IGF

MavsX
04-02-2010, 12:26
Don't know if you tried this, but try Googling the model laptop and "XP Drivers"... My Laptop came w/ Vista, and had no XP support on Acer's homepage. I got a deal on the laptop and it only had 1gig of Ram, so I never even bothered trying to boot Vista. Upon doing the above, I found a site that had XP drivers for my laptop.

I don't really use XP, but I have a small partition on my laptop for a couple of thingds(20gigs).

IGF

jackpot

jpa
04-04-2010, 10:53

IGF

http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-compaq-presario-f500-notebook-windows-xp-drivers/

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of that first, after all the people who installed and hated Vista when it came out. I posted the link here for myself for later (I'm at work). Thanks again!

IndyGunFreak
04-04-2010, 11:12
http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-compaq-presario-f500-notebook-windows-xp-drivers/

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of that first, after all the people who installed and hated Vista when it came out. I posted the link here for myself for later (I'm at work). Thanks again!

Awesome...

May I make a suggestion, download the drivers, and back them up somewhere so they are there when you need them. They may not be so easy to find next time.

Good luck..

jpa
04-04-2010, 12:26
Awesome...

May I make a suggestion, download the drivers, and back them up somewhere so they are there when you need them. They may not be so easy to find next time.

Good luck..

Depending on how big the install winds up being, I might just make a ghost image of the clean install and give it to her with the computer. Good plan though....

jpa
04-04-2010, 20:54
Son of a *****....the damn files are all infected with the Bloodhound trojan. Oh well, I should be able to find compatible drivers from a safe source with the info posted on that site...

GIockGuy24
04-05-2010, 09:22
See these links,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=3316440

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/laptop-support/226109-hp-compaq-presario-f500-drivers-downgrade-xp.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/driver-support/220860-presario-f500-f573au-xp-drivers.html

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:Q1CR8tWRmNcJ:forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do%3FthreadId%3D1115132+Presario+F500+drivers&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us