inexpensive refinishing options for my pistol?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive refinishing options for my pistol??

daredwit
04-01-2010, 14:25
I picked up a 5904 S&W on the cheap but the finish is seriously roughed up. I would like to have it reblued but not sure if that is possible with the alloy frame. What options do I have for refinishing on the cheap?

Jager1147
04-01-2010, 19:16
Don't think you're gonna find anything on the cheap with refinishing.
Maybe re-blue the slide and anodize the frame? If you detail strip and blast/polish yourself you'll save some money. This would be the least expensive, or maybe check out Robar Guns with their NP3 or Roguard finishes.

hilljo
04-01-2010, 19:16
A buddy and I did several guns with the bake on stuff from Brownells. He's pretty good with such things........me not so much.

Pros-It was cheap. He already had a bead blaster, so it was easy to re-do when we (I) screwed it up.

Cons-We struggled getting our little oven to maintain a constant temperature. The finish didn't really seem to last very well at all.

We were able to do an aluminum frame, with the above listed results.

If you're gun is a beater/gun trade in type of gun I'd say go for it; if you're handy and patient it will probably turn out ok.

eXe
04-04-2010, 08:57
Ya know, if you can get someone to bead blast it.. parkerizing is SUPER simple and gives a very nice durable finish.

You don't even need to buy the solution as I make my own.

Take some distilled water (about one gallon), Get used D cell battery and cut the end off and take out all the black powder(manganese dioxide) and get one plug (pad) of steel wool.

Get some klean strip phosphoric prep and etch(about 80%+ phosphoric acid) from home depot.

Combine the water, the black powder from the battery and cut up the 000 fine steel wool and add. Heat till 180 degrees. When temp is reached add in 3/4ths of a cup of the klean strip, and make sure its still up to temp.

Degrease your part, and drop it in. Remove when desired color is reached. (anywhere from 5 to 10 mins) I did this with a few glock slides and barrels and they came out amazing. I know it sounds rather simple.. but it works like a charm.

Now, all that said, I dont think it will work on the frame, but you can always duracote that.

sirgarreth
04-05-2010, 13:36
Try: WWW.customizedcreationz.com (http://www.customizedcreationz.com). I believe he charges $60 for a cerakote finish on a frame and $50 for the slide. plus shipping. i am actually sending him a slide and a frame. The work on his site look really good.

MAJORSDAD
04-05-2010, 19:10
I picked up a 5904 S&W on the cheap but the finish is seriously roughed up. I would like to have it reblued but not sure if that is possible with the alloy frame. What options do I have for refinishing on the cheap?

You could try Krylon spray paint?

Hey, you said cheap. :supergrin:

eisman
04-05-2010, 19:39
Do not bead blast the alloy frame. You will basically destroy the gun if you do so. It is anodized, and once you remove that you'll have to re-anodize to surface harden the part so it will work. Of course, once you do that you'll have changed the tolerances, so it won't work like it should.

There's a reason alloy frame guns are cheap when they're beat up. There's not much you can do with them.

You could have the frame coated with a displaced carbon finish, but that's going to cost $150+. You might be able to get one of the other finishers to do it (np3, etc). You can do it yourself with GunKote. Good luck.

CourtCop
04-05-2010, 19:53
Just so you have a point of reference I just checked Smith and Wesson' s Performance Center's prices:
$145 to bead blast and re-blue pistol
$125 to anodize frame

A little pricey, but from what I have heard the pistol will come back looking like brand new.