Credit Protection Service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Credit Protection Service

theGreenAggie
04-02-2010, 06:48
Ok so yesterday I got a call from my bank, it seems some loser got ahold of my credit card information and was buying ring tones and video games with it online. The bank found the fraud and shut down the card in only 1 day, so disaster averted.

They did link me up with a credit protection service, though, for which I signed up on a 1 month trial service for $1. They are going to send me a copy of my credit report, and the terms of the service, etc. It is $13 per month after the promotion.

What companies are you guys enrolled with to help protect your identity / credit information, and how much does it cost you? Would you recommend them? Have you been with other companies in the past, and if so, why did you switch?

Thanks for any input you guys can give! Especially if you're in banking or the financial sector, please let me know in your reply.

ps I couldn't find any better area of the forum to post this... :whistling:

geminicricket
04-10-2010, 19:39
Lifelock advertises theirs for $10/month.

janice6
04-10-2010, 19:57
Call your credit company and ask what kind of reporting or preventative measures you can apply to your CC account.

When the papers had stories about Lifelock and their service, they said that the CC account owner could do the same thing for themselves without a charge. It was in the newspapers.

Swiper
04-18-2010, 20:05
When the papers had stories about Lifelock and their service, they said that the CC account owner could do the same thing for themselves without a charge. It was in the newspapers.

Lifelock charges you $10 a month and the only thing they do is putting a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies in your name and renewing it every quarter. You can do it yourself for free. It's a ripoff.

Lifelock Dinged $12 Million for Deceptive Business Practices
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/lifelock-accused-of-running-con-operation/

Swiper
04-18-2010, 20:21
They did link me up with a credit protection service, though, for which I signed up on a 1 month trial service for $1. They are going to send me a copy of my credit report, and the terms of the service, etc. It is $13 per month after the promotion.

So they are going to charge you $13 a month for the pleasure of protecting them from losing money on credit card fraud and for putting a fraud alert on your credit report? Sounds like a great deal for the bank. :cool:

Just be careful where you use your credit card information (avoid shady websites) and check your statements at the end of the month. Report any suspicious activities on your account to the creditor. The bank must eat the loses caused by the credit card theft unless they can prove you were negligent and failed to report the theft to them once you discovered it.

What companies are you guys enrolled with to help protect your identity / credit information, and how much does it cost you? Would you recommend them? Have you been with other companies in the past, and if so, why did you switch?I don't use one and have no plans to start. You are better off checking your credit card statements once a month and pulling a free credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/ twice a year or so.