Colt safety experiment - with questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt safety experiment - with questions

pascal
04-02-2010, 09:06
Hello,
I have a Series 70 Reissue. Unfortunately for me, it rubs the skin off of my hand withing 20 rounds and I start bleeding. Since Kings Gunworks is not in operation I was stuck as I wanted to keep the spur hammer and put one of their grip safeties on it. The experiment is that I purchased a Colt enhanced/duckbill grip safety with the intention of installing it, and modifying it to work with the spur hammer. Well I had thought the safety was ugly because they made it to fit unmodified frames. Well this is either false (can anyone confirm), or it is a problem of "within specifications" variation? The frame extended too far to clear the safety. In this case I must say good for dremels. I had to rebate the inner side that should have cleared the frame extensively. Also had to thin the width of the safety to fit the frame which I left unaltered.
Another question I have is that I know the Series 70 Reissue uses several standard Series 80/90 parts. The specific question is that the original safety had the extension that engages the rear of the trigger bow cut about halfway in thickness with the inside rim which makes the channel for the hammer strut. The enhanced was the same width as the rim. Since assumeably the enhanced safety came off a modern firing pin safety pistol why would it be different than the one that came on the Reissue. It seems to work now and will range test it. Doesn't appear to need any modification for the spur hammer, will know more after testing. It is a real bear to use a router bit to rebate and retain the curve of the section of the safety that rotates around the frame extensions as the safety is moved by grasping it. Thanks for any replies.
pascal

eisman
04-03-2010, 06:11
First, you're right in doing all the modification to the safety (Unless you plan on refinishng the frame, as you would in a true custom build). Always work on the cheapest part first.

Second, I have a supply of King's safeties, let me know if you still want one.

Most grip safeties are made oversized due to the large variation of tolerances over the past 100 years and various manufacturers. They should be fitted. Back when I was learning about Colts we used to either use rough castings or mill out our own grip safes. Our shop did a lot of Colt work so we had a set of jigs for all the cuts. Still, we's have one guy spend a day or two every 5-6 months making safes from steel. Then we could fit them so they looked like they should.

The arm that engages the trigger bow should be as wide as the groove it fits in, if that's what you're asking. It doesn't need to be, as it just needs to stop movement of the trigger bow, and that doesn't take much.

pascal
04-03-2010, 15:52
Hello eisman,
Yes, I did all the work on the grip safety. Now you tell me that you have the King's safeties! Irony, fate, bad kharma. The variation thing was wild. I thought they purposely left that wide gap to fit it, and it didn't. You know how hard it is to use a tiny router bit while holding the safety with the other hand. Well anyway I got it fitted. Polished and blued and tested. I found that the Spur hammer doesn't interfere at all with it. So I'm good. Just in case, do have the IIRC #205 Series 70 Blue Spur hammer safety? Thanks for the answer about the width. I just thought it unusual to see to Colt safeties made quite different.
Thank you for your knowledge and response.
pascal

eisman
04-03-2010, 21:24
The 205 is for the Commander hammer. You want a 203. I have it in blue or silver.

pascal
04-04-2010, 05:12
Are you sure? Well I guess you are or you wouldn't have written it. PM me if you would with the important criteria for the one in blue. I don't know if I'll need one immediately, but it will help to know in case. Thanks again.
pascal

Bren
04-04-2010, 05:28
I always put a Wilson "drop-in" (:rofl:) grip safety on my 1911's, but even that is a lot of work to fit. Good luck, but if you mess this one up, try a Wilson.

pascal
04-04-2010, 06:15
Hello Bren,
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Wilson's to be used with rowel type hammers?
pascal

eisman
04-04-2010, 10:13
Not sure what criteria you need. Here's a photo. If you need it let me know, I'll send it. N/C. PM me address.
http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll371/kgc1960/IMGP1469.jpg

04-12-2010, 12:58
I have a Colt XSE Lwt Weight Commander with the duck bill safety. The frame tangs on the XSE are shorter than the non-enhanced models. I too, used a Wilson Drop In and it looked almost as good as a Kimber Beaver Tail from the factory.

pascal
04-13-2010, 06:42
Hello 1006,
Thanks for the photo. Yes the grip frame extensions are noticeably shorter than on the Series 70 Repro, thus the problem. Thanks, clearer when you see it.
Have fun with that good looking pistol.
pascal