OMG... It's purple... Ubuntu 10.04 beta1 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OMG... It's purple... Ubuntu 10.04 beta1

IndyGunFreak
04-03-2010, 12:36
Usually, I'm a little more involved in testing new versions of Ubuntu, try to help trouble shoot problems in the support channel, etc., but just haven't had time for the latest release... Well.. given the spate of new Linux users here, I thought I'd take a few days and start looking over the Beta for Ubuntu 10.04(due out in about 2-3 weeks)... Before anyone asks, this was unrelated to my laptop problem(different PC). Ubuntu 10.04 is the latest "LTS"(Long Term Support) release.. which means it will be supported for the next 36mo. Unlike Non-LTS versions, which are supported for 18mo.

First things first... IT'S NOT BROWN! I nearly fainted. I'd actually started to grow kind of fond of the crap brown theme that Ubuntu always had.. :) It seems Canonical has actually made an effort to make this release a bit more aesthetically pleasing. There's still a limited number of themes and wallpapers, but for the most part, they are all pretty nice. Thankfully, there's gazillions of them to download.

Comes with pretty much the same software installed, all of them updated to current, stable versions... with a few additions
Full Open Office 3.2 Suite
GIMP
FSpot - Photo Mgmt. software.
Evolution mail client
Firefox
Transmission(torrent client)
Brasero(disk burner) -- I'm still not sure why they haven't replaced Brasero w/ Gnomebaker... but this is a minor gripe
Totem Movie Player
Rythmbox Music Player
Empathy -- This version, while I still don't care for it over Pidgin, is markedly better than what was out w/ 9.10.
There's also now a program called "Gwibber".. Looks like some sort of program to update Facebook, Twitter, etc..
Also new, is some program called PITVI, which is a video editor. I've never heard of it, let alone have any experience with it... so we'll have to tackle that one at a later date. :)

It's been stable on my main box. I wouldn't recommend anyone actually install it, unless you're prepared to troubleshoot problems. The Release Candidates should be coming out in probably 2 weeks, with the actual Release coming a week or so later.

Looks like its gonna be pretty solid.

dotsun
04-03-2010, 17:45
I'm glad to see the brown go. I hope I find the purple less obnoxious. :supergrin:

inthefrey
04-03-2010, 20:48
This purple?
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/31689.jpg

IndyGunFreak
04-03-2010, 21:37
This purple?

It's pretty close.. :). Actually the first thing I thought of, was Barney.

aircarver
04-04-2010, 19:14
Thanks for the heads-up !

:thumbsup:

:supergrin:

Update: Installed & running.... so far, so good !!....:thumbsup:

MavsX
04-05-2010, 06:02
This purple?

LMAO hahahaaha

area727
04-07-2010, 21:21
I just installed 10.04 at work in a VM. So far, not to bad.

The one thing that I do not like is where they placed the 'X' (to close a window) and the minimize/maximize buttons for the window. They moved it to the left side of the bar, as opposed to the traditional right side.

IndyGunFreak
04-07-2010, 22:17

The one thing that I do not like is where they placed the 'X' (to close a window) and the minimize/maximize buttons for the window. They moved it to the left side of the bar, as opposed to the traditional right side.

I'm still not sure why they done that....

Open a terminal(Appliation/Accessories/Terminal)
type "gconf-editor" w/o quotes and hit enter.
When the next window comes up,
In the tree on the left, navigate to apps/metacity/general
After highlighting General, on the right, Go through the options and find "button layout"
Right Click Button Layout, and choose Edit...
Where it says Value, and assuming you want it how Windows is, and how Ubuntu/Linux usually is...
set value to...
menu:minimize,maximize,close

Click OK, and the change should be instantaneous.

IGF

area727
04-08-2010, 06:36

After highlighting General, on the right, Go through the options and find "button layout"
Where it says Value, and assuming you want it how Windows is, and how Ubuntu/Linux usually is...
set value to...
menu:minimize,maximize,closeClick OK, and the change should be instantaneous.

IGF

Great. Thanks for the heads up on changing this. I figured there might be a way, I just havent looked into, but you beat me to it. Many thanks!

TBO
04-08-2010, 09:03
Tagged for LTS release and button fix.

area727
04-08-2010, 10:23

set value to...

IGF

The button fix worked just as described.

I'm running 9.04 on my machine at home. It took me a while to get the audio, and headphone jacks working properly (I've now forgotten all the steps it took to get it running :whistling:), so I dont know if I will jump right in and upgrade to 10.04 after the official release, and run into the same issues. I do have VMware player running in 9.04 (system has 4GB RAM), so I might play with 10.04 in a VM for a while, work out any kinks, then do the official upgrade...

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 11:15
The button fix worked just as described.

I'm running 9.04 on my machine at home. It took me a while to get the audio, and headphone jacks working properly (I've now forgotten all the steps it took to get it running :whistling:), so I dont know if I will jump right in and upgrade to 10.04 after the official release, and run into the same issues. I do have VMware player running in 9.04 (system has 4GB RAM), so I might play with 10.04 in a VM for a while, work out any kinks, then do the official upgrade...

I've never "Upgraded" my machines.. I always do a clean install(that's a habit that goes back to my Windows days)... The clean install was gravy, no problems at all...

To upgrade 9.04, you're going to have to go 9.04 > 9.10 > 10.04... Might be easier to just backup important stuff and clean install 10.04. What's the sound device on your home machine? I know w/ 9.04, there were some issues w/ the Nvidia sound devices(exact name of the chipset escapes me).. I *think* most of that was resolved by 9.10. I've got Intel sound, and it's working well. The only thing that never seems to get resolved, is the internal mic.

IGF

TBO
04-08-2010, 11:20
"Clean install" question for dual boot set up.

Let's take my Windows XP netbook for an example.

Set to dual boot (partition for XP and one for Linux).

Now when upgrading to the next version of Linux (fresh install), I take it there is nothing needed to be done in setting up (resetting) the partition for Linux? (no need to use Gparted)?

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 11:46

Now when upgrading to the next version of Linux (fresh install), I take it there is nothing needed to be done in setting up (resetting) the partition for Linux? (no need to use Gparted)?

Like I said, I don't upgrade, but to my knowledge, thats exactly what it does. When you upgrade, you shouldn't have to partition, etc...

IGF

area727
04-08-2010, 13:23
I've never "Upgraded" my machines.. I always do a clean install(that's a habit that goes back to my Windows days)... The clean install was gravy, no problems at all...

To upgrade 9.04, you're going to have to go 9.04 > 9.10 > 10.04... Might be easier to just backup important stuff and clean install 10.04. What's the sound device on your home machine? I know w/ 9.04, there were some issues w/ the Nvidia sound devices(exact name of the chipset escapes me).. I *think* most of that was resolved by 9.10. I've got Intel sound, and it's working well. The only thing that never seems to get resolved, is the internal mic.

IGF

Sorry, when I say "upgrade" I mean do a fresh install, with a newer version. Ive never done an "in-line" upgrade, and let the OS upgrade itself.

area727
04-08-2010, 13:36

IGF

The sound device is Intel HD audio, or something to that effect. I dont have the machine with me at the moment. It was a known issue at the time, and I finally have it figured out. Later versions of Ubuntu might have fixed it, I dont know for sure.

area727
04-08-2010, 13:43

When running the install, it will ask you where to install. You'll pick the same partition that the old linux was installed on. It will reformat it with the ext4 file system. After linux installs, it should be fine, and your boot loader should see both OS's to pick from. If for some reason it doesnt, you can boot into the ubuntu Live CD environment, and install Grub (boot loader)...(Ive had to do this a couple times)

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 14:00
When running the install, it will ask you where to install. You'll pick the same partition that the old linux was installed on. It will reformat it with the ext4 file system. After linux installs, it should be fine, and your boot loader should see both OS's to pick from. If for some reason it doesnt, you can boot into the ubuntu Live CD environment, and install Grub (boot loader)...(Ive had to do this a couple times)

Yes.. sorry I misunderstod.

Usually when I'm upgrading/reinstalling, I just go through the install process, and when it comes time to partition, I chooose manua. Then I just choose my old "/" partition, delete it, then create a new partition right in the free space it created. Same mount points, etc..

Reason I do that, is because I've had the installer see the "old" version of Ubuntu on that partition before, so instead of installing over it, it will actually install "beside" it.. and you'll essentially have a "Triple boot" machine when you're done(in this case, windows, ubuntu 9.04 and ubuntu 10.04). Actually partitioning and what not though, no you won't have to do that.

TBO
04-08-2010, 14:06
Thanks guys.

I'm waiting for the stable version of 10.04, then my XP netbook will again be a dual boot machine. :thumbsup:

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 15:00
Thanks guys.

I'm waiting for the stable version of 10.04, then my XP netbook will again be a dual boot machine. :thumbsup:

It should go smoother this time... I just wouldn't try installing that Windows boot loader, whatever it was... It's not necessary. Just let Linux handle setting up the boot loader.

I know at first that concerned you.. If it REALLY worries you messing w/ the Windows MBR of the drive.. You can make a backup of the MBR. It's a very small, very easy to use program. It will make a backup and restore a backed up MBR w/ a few simple DOS commands. Obviously, you'd want to do this BEFORE attempting to install Linux.

Read all about it here..
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm

Download it here...
http://download.cnet.com/MbrFix/3000-2094_4-10485990.html

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 20:28
The sound device is Intel HD audio, or something to that effect. I dont have the machine with me at the moment. It was a known issue at the time, and I finally have it figured out. Later versions of Ubuntu might have fixed it, I dont know for sure.

There's quite a few of the Intel HDA chipsets.. My laptop has the 82801H chipset, and it works fine(other than the internal mic)...

My AA1, has the 82801G.. and it also works fine...

IIRC... the problem w/ 9.04 and the Intel chipsets, is that was right when they were implementing Pulse Audio, and it was causing issues... Is this what you had to do... http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sound-solutions-for-ubuntu-904-jaunty-users.html (there were all kinds of walkthroughs to fix this, but I'm assuming you followed some steps similar to that..)

If that seems reasonably familiar, most of that was addressed in 9.10, and thus far, works perfectly in 10.04

IGF

area727
04-09-2010, 06:39
There's quite a few of the Intel HDA chipsets.. My laptop has the 82801H chipset, and it works fine(other than the internal mic)...

My AA1, has the 82801G.. and it also works fine...

IIRC... the problem w/ 9.04 and the Intel chipsets, is that was right when they were implementing Pulse Audio, and it was causing issues... Is this what you had to do... http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sound-solutions-for-ubuntu-904-jaunty-users.html (there were all kinds of walkthroughs to fix this, but I'm assuming you followed some steps similar to that..)

If that seems reasonably familiar, most of that was addressed in 9.10, and thus far, works perfectly in 10.04

IGF

The first thing I did when I brought the laptop home was wipe Vista out...repartition, and installed Ubuntu 8.10 (was current version at the time). I couldnt get audio working then, and couldnt find much online about it. So then 9.04 rolls around, and I install it hoping it would help. It didn't. But by then, the audio issue was being discussed on various ubuntu message boards. I ended up trying to add a few lines in the alsa-base file, which I believe ended up fixing it, but I had tinkered with some other settings as well (not sure if that had helped any or not...probably not). I think it was trial and error with adding lines in the alsa-base file.

kilroy2721
04-11-2010, 07:13
Tagged for good info.

boozer
04-11-2010, 09:34
I am upgrading to "Beta-2" right now

GenX
04-11-2010, 13:30
Just finished a "dirty install" of the beta 2. Few issues, but nothing that will prevent the machine from doing what it normally does, so far.

GenX
05-01-2010, 18:10
Did this to a clean install about 30 minutes ago. It reverted back to the left side somehow.

set value to...

IGF

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 21:21
Did this to a clean install about 30 minutes ago. It reverted back to the left side somehow.

You probably didn't set it as "mandatory"... That was something I inadvertently left off of those instructions...

Navigate back to the key and reset it to be on the left.
After you've made those changes and saved it, Right click the key and choose "Set as Mandatory"

IGF

Linux3
05-01-2010, 21:27

If you go to:
System
Preferences
Appearances
Theme
Select a different theme and then go back to what you want then X and minimize and stuff will be back where they should be.

TBO
05-01-2010, 22:08
I did the button fix and now I'm not pulling my hair out looking for the X on the right side. :cool:

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 22:30
If you go to:
System
Preferences
Appearances
Theme
Select a different theme and then go back to what you want then X and minimize and stuff will be back where they should be.

To my knowledge, all the themes w/ 10.04, the buttons are on the left. I changed mine right after I installed, but I'm not aware of any of the default themes having the buttons on the right.

IGF

GenX
05-02-2010, 09:56
just found this

Minimize, Maximize and Close button placement.

A decision has been taken to move the placement to the left. Mark Shuttleworth explained that this was because "something" is going to be placed in the right hand area in the next release. Moving the buttons now would help enable this change.

The buttons are in the old location on all default themes apart from Ambiance,Radiance and Dust, If you still want the Ambiance ,Radiance or Dust theme but with buttons on the right, choose one of those other themes and use the Customize button to achieve what you want. e.g.
1. System > Preferences > Appearance
2. Select the theme icon "New Wave"
3. Click the button "Customize.."
4. Select tab "Controls" and select "Ambiance"
5. Select tab "Window border" and select "Ambiance"
6. Select tab "Icons" and scroll down and select "Ubuntu-mono-dark"
7. Select "Save Theme" to your choice.

IndyGunFreak
05-02-2010, 11:14
just found this

Minimize, Maximize and Close button placement.

A decision has been taken to move the placement to the left. Mark Shuttleworth explained that this was because "something" is going to be placed in the right hand area in the next release. Moving the buttons now would help enable this change.

The buttons are in the old location on all default themes apart from Ambiance,Radiance and Dust, If you still want the Ambiance ,Radiance or Dust theme but with buttons on the right, choose one of those other themes and use the Customize button to achieve what you want. e.g.
1. System > Preferences > Appearance
2. Select the theme icon "New Wave"
3. Click the button "Customize.."
4. Select tab "Controls" and select "Ambiance"
5. Select tab "Window border" and select "Ambiance"
6. Select tab "Icons" and scroll down and select "Ubuntu-mono-dark"
7. Select "Save Theme" to your choice.

So now the question is, what's going to be moved into the upper right.

IGF

TBO
05-02-2010, 11:49
So now the question is, what's going to be moved into the upper right.

IGF
http://www.paragon-matrix.com/acatalog/apple_logo.jpg

:tbo:

Linux3
05-02-2010, 17:54
Button placement, removing java from the main repos, dash rather than bash...
That's part of why I'm testing PC-BSD.