pistol grip kick [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : pistol grip kick

Liquid
04-03-2010, 18:24
a while ago i picked up a marinecote mossberg 590. so i took it to a range with a friend and man does that thing kick, it wa a huge attention grabber. i was shooting some ammo that came with it, its a red shell that says buckshot 00 and there is a x on it (i think its winchester). how do you guys shoot over 20 or so rounds per session? i am using it for home defense but i wonder if i am better off with 30 rounds of .223.

Jon_R
04-03-2010, 18:27
You could put a stock on it and put it in your shoulder vs. pistol grip. :tongueout:

I run my 590 at 3-Gun. The roughest stage we had was 12 slugs in about 24 seconds.

When are shooting steel and clay it is #4-8 birdshot but then about 25 rounds a stage.

Aceman
04-03-2010, 19:49
Is this a pistol grip only? There is your problem right there!

#1 great grip technique rules: In the pocket on the shoulder correctly, good stance, push/pull.

#2 for indoor use - no reason whatsoever to NOT use reduced recoil. Full brass is just uncalled for an 1 /34 at 15 feet.

#3 ALWAYS use a shoulder stock w/ 12g

Liquid
04-03-2010, 20:14
yes it only came with the pistol grip. i think i will look into some reduced recoil ammo.

RedHaze
04-03-2010, 21:00
You think that pistol grip is bad... check this one out.

Ouch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1fkDW5H5dQ)

That's my Stevens 12 gauge, with a friend shooting it. Notice his face. But that was just #8 target stuff.
#8 = ouch
00 = wowzers

aippi
04-03-2010, 21:17
I find the pistol grip only a breeze to shoot and would rather shoot 00 from one of them then put a conventional stock to my shoulder. I simply allow my right arm to act as a cam and don't fight the weapon. Once you get into a rythem of following the forend back and racking it forward as you are repositioning the weapon for the next shot, this method gets pretty fast also.

If you are determine to have a pistol grip only, if that is even what you are talking about, then check out the Knoxx SpecOps breecher grip. It really eats up the recoil and tames a 12ga.

bikerdog
04-04-2010, 13:34
if recoil is your only problem with the gun, then I would second the knoxx stock .their great stuff and they really work.

But if you have a 223 that you feel more comfortable with then by all means use it. your not loosing anything by going with a solid 223.

Novocaine
04-04-2010, 16:04
Pistol grip is a bit of a problem when you shoot from the hip: the torque puts more strain on the firing hand this way. Shooting from the eye level is fine, the wrist is positioned to have a higher degree of freedom to follow the gun. Just don’t forget to use the support hand.

BTW, you can absolutely hit things from the hip; my cousin runs nearly a 25 straight shooting skeet from the hip. However, he does it for the challenge of it, when you’ve startled a mommy with a couple of cubs you have enough challenge as it is.

I spent a dove season with pistol gripped (no stock) 18" gun once. Guns configured this way certainly work well enough to be a valid and useful piece of hardware. I take one along when driving or flying cross-country.

However if storage space is not an issue, a regular stocked shotgun is the way to go, especially for a novice shooter. And I do feel that a .223 semiauto carbine is a better HD weapon.

Liquid
04-04-2010, 17:18
i will look into the Knoxx SpecOps. if i were to go .223 i would be using a keltec plr.

Liquid
04-05-2010, 17:42
well i ordered the grip. i will try it out with some reduced recoil ammo and let ya guys know. how hard is it to change out the grip?

Mofeen
04-05-2010, 18:37
Does Remington offer an 870 in pistol grip only config? I cant find one on their website.

GreyEclipse
04-05-2010, 19:18
Most people say the PGO is a POS but Idk...
I've never fired one but I'd like to try it just for fun.
A lot of people also say that a 12Gauge with 00Buck hurts the shoulder.
I barely notice a difference between buck and bird shot, I think I just get to wrapped up in the fun and freedom of shooting so that I don't feel a diff.
In an adrenaline filled moment you're not going to feel the difference. :dunno:

NWanner
04-05-2010, 19:21
Pistol grip is a bit of a problem when you shoot from the hip: the torque puts more strain on the firing hand this way. Shooting from the eye level is fine, the wrist is positioned to have a higher degree of freedom to follow the gun. Just don’t forget to use the support hand.

BTW, you can absolutely hit things from the hip; my cousin runs nearly a 25 straight shooting skeet from the hip. However, he does it for the challenge of it, when you’ve startled a mommy with a couple of cubs you have enough challenge as it is.

I spent a dove season with pistol gripped (no stock) 18" gun once. Guns configured this way certainly work well enough to be a valid and useful piece of hardware. I take one along when driving or flying cross-country.

However if storage space is not an issue, a regular stocked shotgun is the way to go, especially for a novice shooter. And I do feel that a .223 semiauto carbine is a better HD weapon.

You shoot a 3" hi-brass from eye level and you're going to need dental work. I find shooting from chest level with a loose elbow and using your chest muscles to contain the recoil works best for me. Your wrist will only hurt if you tense up your elbows and shoulders as the only thing left to move is your wrists. Don't try and use the sights, just guess where to shoot and you'll find you're more accurate than you think.

Most people say the PGO is a POS but Idk...
I've never fired one but I'd like to try it just for fun.
A lot of people also say that a 12Gauge with 00Buck hurts the shoulder.
I barely notice a difference between buck and bird shot, I think I just get to wrapped up in the fun and freedom of shooting so that I don't feel a diff.
In an adrenaline filled moment you're not going to feel the difference. :dunno:

I've shot 3.5" 2-1/4oz turkey loads out of my pistol grip'd Mossy 835. It's a lot of recoil, but if you respect the power it can be shot safely.

ubersoldat
04-05-2010, 19:37
Ive got a "hogue Tamer" in the case with my remi 870.

She usually wears a speed feed, but never under estimate the use of a PG.
I try to throw mine on the gun to take and shoot once a month just for fun and practice.
And although Id rather have a full stock, there are many who know, that a PG on a shotgun isnt always a bad idea.
Inside a house, a vehicle, or lp'ing in a shtf situation the pg is very helpful. And I know damn well Ive seen some devil dogs weild a PG shotty with some serious skills in close.
I think they are like flashlights on rifles, not really needed, untill they are needed.

Its just another tool to add to the toolbox boys, nothing more nothing less.

Another Miller
04-05-2010, 20:20
I have an beater 870 hd model with cheap tac star PG and a tac star vert grip forend.Its quicker to maneuver in heavy brush and ranges in feet rather than yards.I primarily use regular #2 shot and it doesnt seem that bad at all.

In some of the small special application shotguns, they have a forward grip. Those are very limited though in their use and those folks do shot them alot.

I wouldnt attempt a heavy slug load in a pistol gripped shotgun though, thats just asking for it.:supergrin:

Lloyd-Xmas
04-09-2010, 14:52
Reduced recoil ammo is still going to kick hard. In fact, I struggle to tell the difference between full power 2 3/4 inch and the "reduced recoil" stuff. It all hurts. Unless there is some reason to conceal it, I'd just get a stock for it.

FWIW:
What I find helps me is to get angry at the gun before I shoot it. Stare at it hard while it's sitting on the table in front of you, scream as loud as you can (war face, etc), then pick it up and blaze away while shouting DIE MOTHERF!@#ERS. That helps me anyways. :cool:

Onmilo
04-10-2010, 01:37
Pachmayer Vindicator rubber grip and no sane individual shoots 200 rounds of full power buckshot through a pistol gripped shotgun in one session.
http://www.fototime.com/DAAF67A53885D75/standard.jpg

Novocaine
04-10-2010, 03:42
You shoot a 3" hi-brass from eye level and you're going to need dental work. I find shooting from chest level with a loose elbow and using your chest muscles to contain the recoil works best for me.

You must be kidding. I can't imagine how you managed to whack yourself in the teeth shooting "magnums" from the eye level unless you held the rear of the gun right next to the mouth. Which would do it, probably even with 2.5 buckshot. Keeping gun this close is not good for aiming anyway.

To me shooting from the chest level is not as comfortable and will not get you the same accuracy. Besides if you hit yourself in the teeth why donít you hit yourself in the chest if you hold the gun similarly?

gatorboy
04-10-2010, 07:56
Try out a bantam stock. It's perfect for HD; duck hunting a different story. Pistol grips W/stocks are nice too but pistol grip only is good for the movies and not much else IMO. I bought my first black shotty pistol grip only also and ended up with a number of stocks until I found what worked best for me. I've got a few really nice "black" 12 gauge shotty's, both auto and pump but my favorite shotty right now is a 20 gauge 870 youth, wood all the way around. I call it Sleeper.

Glockdude1
04-10-2010, 08:40
Does Remington offer an 870 in pistol grip only config? I cant find one on their website.

Speedfeed inc offers this:
http://personalsecurityzone.com/images/SDFD0392lg.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Nemsis1/my870pistolR.jpg

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/products.html

:cool:

Mofeen
04-10-2010, 09:09
Me likey. Is that the Express tactical?

Glockdude1
04-10-2010, 09:23
Me likey. Is that the Express tactical?

Remington does NOT sell that grip set up. I have it for my 870 Express Magnum HD model (home defense). It makes it easy to keep the 18" barrel and move around the house (if needed) for HD use.

The nickname for the grip is the "birds head". It is mostly seen on AOW shotguns. ($5 tax stamp, no buttstock allowed)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/870AOW.jpg
http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/4/5/45_70/wawp870-aow-right-1.jpg

NWanner
04-11-2010, 14:56
Do you have any clue about anatomy or muscle composition? Try doing some pushups with you hands infront of your chest. Then try doing some with your hands in front of your face. You may be able to get away with it shooting birdshot, but shoot some 3.5" shells like that and tell me how that ends up.

And what's this "you" crap, I have all my teeth.

Liquid
04-20-2010, 16:41
well i got the knoxx specOps breecher grip and some reduced recoil ammo. the gun handles lot better. i even tried some of the ammo i used last time and the grip made a huge difference. now i just have to remember to pump it pull the trigger load it pump again and its ready. pulling the trigger and hearing nothing when i thought it was cocked and load was a little scary.

GreyEclipse
04-20-2010, 16:56
Remington does NOT sell that grip set up. I have it for my 870 Express Magnum HD model (home defense). It makes it easy to keep the 18" barrel and move around the house (if needed) for HD use.

The nickname for the grip is the "birds head". It is mostly seen on AOW shotguns. ($5 tax stamp, no buttstock allowed)

I would love to shoot a PGO shotgun but Idk about that one...lol.
That grip just doesn't look comfortable.

Mofeen
04-20-2010, 17:02

Do you have the model number for that one handy? Thanks.

demented
04-20-2010, 17:39
I have yet to try a Hogue "Tamer," I have a Mossberg 500 equipped with the Pachmayr Vindicator, with reduced recoil buckshot, its a usable house gun. I shoot mine at chest level looking over the top of the barrel, this allows me to shoot it about as well as with a shoulder stock.

boozer
04-20-2010, 19:54