Reloading scales? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading scales?

Tbone38
04-03-2010, 19:46
Im thinking about buying a new set of digital scales, I have a couple of sets of beam scales (one of which is older than me) and a partner digi scale that Ive had for a while. What have you guys had good luck with? What would you recommend? Why? I do want to stay with digital.

yipchoy
04-03-2010, 20:55
I looked at all the usual suspects when I was in the market a year ago and settled on a brand that I have not seen anyone here mention regarding reloading scales. It is a My Weigh i101, costs about $130+ and has a lifetime warranty. Same + or - .1 grain accuracy and has a windshield that comes with it. So same price as the Dillon but, same accuracy specs but with a lifetime warranty as opposed to a 1 year warranty. Very easy to use too.
Alan

D. Manley
04-03-2010, 22:24
Not to say there are'nt others but I have confidence in the Dillon and RCBS Rangemaster 750.

Tbone38
04-03-2010, 23:04
Ive been looking at the range master, and this is probably the direction I will go in, just trying to weigh my options.

IndyGunFreak
04-04-2010, 02:18
I looked at all the usual suspects when I was in the market a year ago and settled on a brand that I have not seen anyone here mention regarding reloading scales. It is a My Weigh i101, costs about $130+ and has a lifetime warranty. Same + or - .1 grain accuracy and has a windshield that comes with it. So same price as the Dillon but, same accuracy specs but with a lifetime warranty as opposed to a 1 year warranty. Very easy to use too.
Alan

Nice looking scale... Never heard of it, thanks for posting.

srd
04-04-2010, 06:21
I guess i am kinda one sided when it comes to electronic scales. I have had my Dillon electronic for years [ at least 18 ] with NO problems at all.

Murphy's Law
04-04-2010, 06:25
Whenever possible I go with Dillon products. I have both the Eliminator and Terminator. Both are Outstanding units and extremely easy to use and accurate.

Big Bore Fan
04-04-2010, 07:11
How well does the Dillon terminator do when it comes to trickling up powder? I've been looking at digital scales also and decided to go with Dillon, then the other day I read a few things online where some people where having trouble trickling powder on there Dillon.

Batesmotel
04-04-2010, 10:14
I have a Lyman that works great. I used an RCBS but had too many error messages.

Hoser
04-04-2010, 16:21
Keep in mind that electronic scales drift and they dont like dirty power.

Calibrate them often and consider a constant power source like a uninterruptible power supply.

ghertz1
04-04-2010, 17:09
I summarized most the scales mentioned in this thread. If you look at midway and various forum reviews you'll see regardless what one you pick someone loves it and someone thinks it's junk.

RCBS RangeMaster 750 Scale
750 grain accurate to 0.1 grain. aluminum pan and 2 check weights one year warranty $108

PACT Digital Precision Powder Scale
1500 grains. Accurate to 0.1 grain. Powder pan (plastic ?) and 2 check weights are also included. Covered by a limited lifetime warranty $128

Dillon Terminator
900 grain Accurate to 0.1 grain. 1 check weight doesn't look like it comes with a pan. One year warranty $140

my Weight i101
1500 grains. Accurate to 0.1 grain. no powder pan, one check weight. comes with windscreen. Lifetime warranty $135

Even if it comes with a check weight would you recommend a check weight set? How important is a plastic vs metal powder pan?

dudel
04-04-2010, 17:21
How well does the Dillon terminator do when it comes to trickling up powder? I've been looking at digital scales also and decided to go with Dillon, then the other day I read a few things online where some people where having trouble trickling powder on there Dillon.

Discussed several months ago. It's the difference between accuracy and sensitivity. Two very different things.

A quick test is to cut a 1/4" square of paper. Drop it on a beam balance pan to see if deflects. A good one will.

Drop it in the pan of your electronic scale. If it doesn't register, it doesn't mean it's not accurate; just that it's not sensitive. It should be fine for checking the weight of a thrown powder charge; but not for trickling powder.

Hoser
04-04-2010, 19:31
A quick test is to cut a 1/4" square of paper. Drop it on a beam balance pan to see if deflects. A good one will.

My Prometheus is a beam scale and it will easily show a single kernel of Varget, H1000, H4350 ect.

My RCBS Chargemaster will move after 2-3 kernels hit the pan.

Granted the Prometheus is 9-10X more expensive... but you get what you pay for.

Till my Prometheus showed up, I rarely used an electronic scale. Just a Redding #2 was my old standby. My chargemaster threw them, but I trickled/checked with a beam scale.