To Hot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To Hot?

kendric98
04-04-2010, 04:33
Ok 5 grains of bullseye in a 45 colt loading, cci large pistol primer, 275 grain led keith style semi wadcutter, star line brass. To hot do you think? They were my first shot at reloading and im a little paranoid.

380Seecamp
04-04-2010, 06:10
Ok 5 grains of bullseye in a 45 colt loading, cci large pistol primer, 275 grain led keith style semi wadcutter, star line brass. To hot do you think? They were my first shot at reloading and im a little paranoid.

5 gr. Bullseye in the .45 Colt under a 275 grain lead bullet does not sound too hot to me. I checked a few loading manuals and this looks like an OK load.

You're not loading these to shoot in an antique gun, are you?

srd
04-04-2010, 06:13
Somewhat of a standard load in 45 acp ..or are you talking about Long Colt with that 275 grn bullet ? If so , yes its a little hot Should drop in down a little being a first time loader. Better off with Unique as a powder in that situation . Bullseye isnt the best choice for the heavyweights due its fast burning properties . Just my opinion.

fredj338
04-04-2010, 11:21
Somewhat of a standard load in 45 acp ..or are you talking about Long Colt with that 275 grn bullet ? If so , yes its a little hot Should drop in down a little being a first time loader. Better off with Unique as a powder in that situation . Bullseye isnt the best choice for the heavyweights due its fast burning properties . Just my opinion.

Nothing stnadard about a 275gr bullet in a 45acp. The 45colt is correctly called just that. There is no reason to add "long colt", all though it is not necessarily wrong. IMO, heavy bullets w/ fast powder charges is an accident waiting for a place to happen, regardless of caliber. That is a pretty mild load though. I prefer Unique or Universal or WSF for midrange loads w/ heavy bullets in the 45colt. Is that the RCBS SWC?

ilgunguygt
04-04-2010, 15:12
If this is a ruger firearm, you are probably ok, even in a new model vaquero. As posted in another thread, bullseye is not a full power powder choice with a heavy bullet.

kendric98
04-04-2010, 22:23
Opps my bad, yes its a new V. And yes i ment 45 long colt but was told never to call it that or i get kicked out of the club. :)

kendric98
04-04-2010, 22:27
Nothing stnadard about a 275gr bullet in a 45acp. The 45colt is correctly called just that. There is no reason to add "long colt", all though it is not necessarily wrong. IMO, heavy bullets w/ fast powder charges is an accident waiting for a place to happen, regardless of caliber. That is a pretty mild load though. I prefer Unique or Universal or WSF for midrange loads w/ heavy bullets in the 45colt. Is that the RCBS SWC?
Donno got them from somone then weighed them, would post a pic but i cant. I think i will stick with unique it fills the case better.

380Seecamp
04-05-2010, 04:04
Opps my bad, yes its a new V. And yes i ment 45 long colt but was told never to call it that or i get kicked out of the club. :)

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/images/PRODUCTS/90/93/90930.JPG

Knowledgeable revolver fans know the difference between the .45 Colt and the .45 Auto. But even amongst my shooting buddies, I have to say ".45 Long Colt" so that they won't confuse the cartridge with the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol round.

You can shoot .45 S&W Schofield ammo in your .45 Colt:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eqgpgBNWs5Y/SujNWq5r7iI/AAAAAAAAAxo/4fHm3cm0i2Q/s400/light+loads+45+Colt+and+45+Schofield..jpg

There is also ".45 Cowboy Special" brass that can be loaded using .45 Auto Rim load data. I've tried these and they work well for very small charges of propellant:

http://www.cowboy45special.com/sitebuilder/images/colt-to-cowboy-comparison-205x171.jpg

http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

kimberguy2004
04-05-2010, 14:57
In the New Vaquero, stick with SAMI spec loads. The NV wil not safely handle the "Ruger Only" loads. It will handle the same power loads as the Uberti and the SAA knockoffs. Save the Ruger only loads for the "real" Rugers and Freedom Arms.

ilgunguygt
04-05-2010, 21:06
In the New Vaquero, stick with SAMI spec loads. The NV wil not safely handle the "Ruger Only" loads. It will handle the same power loads as the Uberti and the SAA knockoffs. Save the Ruger only loads for the "real" Rugers and Freedom Arms.
The new vaquero is safe with over SAAMI spec rounds, but not to the level of Blackhawk loads. It is safe to 45acp levels or about 21K It should not be loaded to the levels of the blachawk loads which will top out over 30k.

kendric98
04-06-2010, 02:57
So 5 grains is ok then pressure wise?

dbarry
04-06-2010, 04:58
My favorite load in my 45 ACP is a 230gr bullet on top of 5 grains of bullseye (and the ACP is a much smaller case than a 45 colt)

see:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=36

Did you consult a manual? Alliant says 7.1 grains max for a jacketed 260gr bullet.

ilgunguygt
04-06-2010, 10:01
So 5 grains is ok then pressure wise?
Five grains should be just fine. However, you really need to find some load data, as just guessing is sure to lead to problems down the road for you. Loading a 275gr bullet with bullseye, IMO, is not a good choice. There are much better powders for that bullet. Also, IMO, that is the wrong bullet for a new model vaquero anyway. Using the old standby 255gr lswc or a 250gr RNFP and unique you will get way more power out of it, and have a much safer load getting there.