Need help getting Leopold torx screws OUT [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting Leopold torx screws OUT

glockaviator
04-04-2010, 10:33
OK. My Leopold scope was never mounted quite right. It is on a 7mm mag (Browning ADL) and they used a short action scope base. The wrong base. I've known about it for some time, the scope works ok on low power, but on high power I have to pull my head forward to see the sight picturre because the scope wont go back far enough.

So I want to fix it. I have to move the scope back. It won't go back any further. And I actually want to replace the scope base, since it's not really right anyway. Anyway, I'm finally going to get this fixed RIGHT!!

Problem is, I can't get 3 of the torx screws that hold the base. I have stripped the Leopold torx that I have trying. I'm about ready to strip the torx heads on the screws themselves. But before I do, I NEED SOME ADVICE!

I don't have a drill press, but do have a hand drill.
What should I do here. It's a NICE gun, money really isn't an issue but I don't have any gunsmiths I am familiar with.

Any help here?

Batesmotel
04-04-2010, 10:35
Find a gunsmith.

southern_boy
04-04-2010, 10:36
if u feal u can do it then do it. if not take it to a shop and ask if they can do it damnage free. if they can let them do it

eisman
04-04-2010, 14:56
Usually folks put threadlocker on the screws when they install them. Heat's the best way to break that loose. Use a soldering iron to heat the screws, then take them out.

If you've stripped them already they'll need to be drilled out. Unless you have a mill I wouldn't try doing that. Not such a big deal to destroy the rings, but the scope could be damaged, and that gets expensive.

Can I suggest you use Warne bases and rings next time? Get the correct ones from Brownells.

glockaviator
04-04-2010, 15:23
I can get the scope off. It's the screws holding the base to the scope that are stuck. So the scope is fine. Can you use backout tool on screws that small?

Batesmotel
04-04-2010, 15:31
It's the screws holding the base to the scope that are stuck.

I'm confused. Is base stuck in the rifle or the rings stuck on the scope? The base does not directly mount to the scope. If it is the base to the rifle talk to a smith. If it is the screws holding the rings to the scope just drill them out and buy new rings along with the proper base.

glockaviator
04-04-2010, 15:41
The base is stuck on the rifle.

glockaviator
04-05-2010, 20:37
Well the gunsmith got the screws out. I found out it is a Browning "Euro bolt". So what I need are two piece mounts for a eurobolt for a Leupold VariX II. And I need an offset from scope ring so the scope can be move back far enough. It's a 7mm Mag so it's long action which makes the scope rings pretty near the ends of the scope, one disadvantage of the longer cartridge. This gun is pretty, but I am wondering if it's really all that worth it. Long action seems to have it's drawbacks. I guess I have to obtain the parts, take it back and he will put it on.

It's a PARTS hunt.

eisman
04-05-2010, 21:17
God, I hate guys who can't do anything but replace parts.

Your gunsmith can get Warne blanks and contour the bottom to your receiver, cut to size, and cut the recoil shoulders on the bases. Then you use the right rings.

Now, I only say this because it can be done, and it's not a big deal. It certainly beats sitting around for months looking for parts. Before I did that I'd call Brownells and see if they have what I need. If they don't, I'd call call a European firm (like Franconia Jagd) and see if they could help. It's a European action so they're more likely to have the parts. Expect to pay a lot more for them.

glockaviator
04-05-2010, 22:25
I ordered THIS:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=360737
Hope it's right.

Nutt51
04-12-2010, 10:18
I used the Leupold 2 piece bases on my Rem 700 long action and
they worked fine. You could go with the long action base, but
the 2 piece bases will do the trick.
Who knows what they used as thread locker on the screws.
If they used epoxy or Red loctite you will need to heat it up
and try to back it out.
If it were me, I would take it to a qualified gunsmith and let
him do it, most with experience have done this before and will
know what to do.
If you install your own rings and mounts and use loctite, never use
the red, it bonds an almost permanent bond, takes heat and handtools
to remove. Use the blue, it holds good, but can be broken loose
with just tools. Good luck.

Read the post to fast, just noticed the one where the gunsmith
got the screws out. Good news.
Now you can get it put together right.