Windows 7 starter upgrade and... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 starter upgrade and...

wrenrj1
04-04-2010, 17:39
Question: Can I use the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for Vista on my Netbook to upgrade the Windows 7 starter OS that came with it?

That leads to my second question, my 1.5 year old laptop is melting down and won't get to a start up screen before trying to diagnose problems and going around and around to try to diagnose itself. The geeksquad says the HD is dying. I'm going to use the same vista upgrade disk if it works on my netbook.

My second question is, if I buy a new hard drive and buy the Windows 7 Home Premium edition again, will I need to use any of the disks that came with the laptop with the drivers or will the new Windows 7 OS have these available? I have since thrown them away.

Thanks in advance.

Sgt. Schultz
04-04-2010, 19:37
Question: Can I use the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for Vista on my Netbook to upgrade the Windows 7 starter OS that came with it?What???

Was the 7 upgrade disc supplied to you buy a laptop/computer manufacture for a specific pc or is it a retail version?

That leads to my second question, my 1.5 year old laptop is melting down and won't get to a start up screen before trying to diagnose problems and going around and around to try to diagnose itself. The geeksquad says the HD is dying. I'm going to use the same vista upgrade disk if it works on my netbook.

We need specifics ... exactly what diagnostic screen are you getting? What does it say?

My second question is, if I buy a new hard drive and buy the Windows 7 Home Premium edition again, will I need to use any of the disks that came with the laptop with the drivers or will the new Windows 7 OS have these available? I have since thrown them away.

No OS installation disc can contain every known driver. If the installation process doesn't recognize a piece of hardware then you need to provide the driver, which you may be able to download from the manufactures website. If the process does install the NIC drivers then the update process MAY find any that were not installed.

wrenrj1
04-05-2010, 18:55
To answer the first question, I purchased off the rack at Best Buy the Windows 7 upgrade for Vista, and installed it on the laptop, so its not OEM or offered as an upgrade to Vista when purchased. It's been on there for about two months. I did tonight try to install it on my netbook and Microsoft did recognize it as a key that has been already activated. Going to the MS website, it looks like I'll need to contact them and let them know it's being transferred to another computer. Finding a contact number is another story, however I didn't take too much time to find one.

I left my laptop at work and will answer the second question tomorrow. Thanks.

Sgt. Schultz
04-05-2010, 19:12
To answer the first question, I purchased off the rack at Best Buy the Windows 7 upgrade for Vista, and installed it on the laptop, so its not OEM or offered as an upgrade to Vista when purchased. It's been on there for about two months. I did tonight try to install it on my netbook and Microsoft did recognize it as a key that has been already activated. Going to the MS website, it looks like I'll need to contact them and let them know it's being transferred to another computer. Finding a contact number is another story, however I didn't take too much time to find one.

I left my laptop at work and will answer the second question tomorrow. Thanks.As long as it's only on one computer it shouldn't be a problem, here is a number that I've used in the past for activation problems: (888) 571-2048

wrenrj1
04-06-2010, 18:16
Thanks SGT, I'll give them a call. Here's a description of what the laptop does on boot up:

-Gives the "Starting Windows" Window Pane (here's where I go get a cocktail, start the grill, etc. and wait for it to change into something else). It took 6 minutes (this time) then shows the Dell load up power bar briefly (which was normal at one point)

-Then goes in to Repair mode saying " Your computer was unable to start...Startup Repair is checking your system for problems" and "Attempting Repairs, repairing Disk Errors. This might take over an hour to complete"

-Now "Restart computer to complete the repairs. If successful Windows will start normally." And is now back to the "Starting Windows" Window Pane. (here's where I go check email etc. on my desktop). This restart again took approx. 6 min.

-Now black screen "Windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause...Launch startup repair or...(I didnt get the other option) and it goes back around to trying to fix the problem it can't fix. After the second round the computer shut itself off and didn't restart.

Earlier in the demise of this laptop it went in to a DOS screen and a five step process checking every file which took quite a while to complete.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-

kilroy2721
04-11-2010, 07:20
Just install the OS onto the new HD and when it comes to the windows activation the laptop will see that it has already been used and it will then populate a telephone number that you can call. It should not be a hard problem at all.

wrenrj1
04-11-2010, 17:40
Can I just upload the Windows 7 upgrade to my new netbook and upgrade the Windows 7 Starter edition on that unit? I assume the same phone number would populate and I'd be ok as the license is still only used on one unit.

I plan to replace the HD on the laptop and buy a new Windows 7 OS anyway as what I had was an upgrade to Vista.