turret pres on the cheap side. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : turret pres on the cheap side.

illrooster132
04-04-2010, 18:00
is the lee turret 4 holes a good press on the cheapo side?:wavey:
any others in the same price range as the lee?
i dont shoot as much as i used to. but would like to load 500 in two hours if possible. :supergrin:
please lee let users let me know how it works for you.
i know dillon is the best. but my money is really low for that option as of now.:embarassed:

IndyGunFreak
04-04-2010, 18:39
i dont shoot as much as i used to. but would like to load 500 in two hours if possible. :supergrin:
i know dillon is the best. but my money is really low for that option as of now.:embarassed:

Dillon isn't necessarily the best at all things. All presses have their positives and negatives, Dillon is no different.

Get the Lee *CLASSIC* turret... There is a difference between it and the regular Turret press. Mainly, the regular turret is aluminum and just doesn't seem as well built.

How much do you shoot per month? 500rds in 2hrs will be a REAL stretch on the LCT. I'm not even sure it could be done safely. Do you have any other equipment? It's not just about buying the press, there's a few other things you'll need as well. State your budget, and I'm sure we can help you with what you'll need. Minimum though, its probably gonna cost you in the 300-350 range to get a good setup. Read C4W's sticky, lot of good info there...

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
04-04-2010, 18:52

Why do you need 500 in two hours? The Lee auto-indexing turrets should be good for under 200 but your goal is a stretch. I used to be able to do 250 in a hour using the 100 rd mark and multiplying it out to a hour. But thats not a real number IMHO. The Pro 1000 will do it but it does not have near the track record of happy customers that the LCT has. The standard Lee turret is flimsy feeling in comparision. Adjust your desires or your budget in my opinion.

WiskyT
04-04-2010, 19:00
Fast, good, cheap, you can't have all three. I would go for good and cheap and compromise on fast.

sjones
04-04-2010, 19:07
I have the Lee classic turret and without really hurrying,just a steady pace,I can reload a box of 50 in about 20 or 25 minutes.Maybe with a progressive you can reload 500 in an hour or two,but whats your hurry.Its a relaxing way to spend an hour or two.sj

Hydraulicman
04-04-2010, 19:27
500 rounds in two hours sounds like dillon 550 to me

gjk5
04-04-2010, 19:36
100 per hour is very comfortable on my LCT, even relaxing. 250 per hour is unrealistic and possibly dangerous.

The LCT is a great value and a very good press to start on, definitely read C4W's thread.

RustyFN
04-04-2010, 20:20
The Lee classic turret is a great press. I don't think you will get 500 in two hours. I load at a steady and comfortable pace and load 500 in three hours. That includes everything start to finish.

PatinAz
04-04-2010, 21:08
I can do 100 rounds of pistol in just under an hour. Thats setup: scale calibrate, primer loading, powder settling, and just plain getting into the groove, and cleanup afterwards. No rush.

I also use the LCT Press as a single-stage for my rifle loads, again, about an hour for set-up & dialing everything in, for 100 rounds. Thats using brass that is allready fully prepped. I use an RSCB powder measure to throw powder and the LCT to prime, seat and crimp bullets.

I don't wanna rush anything. I've only been reloading just over a year, and the only mishap I've had was a squib/powderless load on a 30-30 round. The primer popped the bullet just enough to lodge into the barrel. I caught it right away. I know exactly what happened at the reloading bench, and have since taken steps to correct it.

I assume that you have allready done the grunt work of reloading; that is working up loads, going out and test firing em, taking notes, and recording the info. If you're looking for 250rnd/hr rate, I wouldn't recommend the Lee Classic Turret. But it is a very sturdy and versitile press for much less for anything else.

:beer:

Uncle Don
04-05-2010, 07:40
Perhaps it's because I've been using it for years, but I don't have any problem averagening 200 an hour at a regular pace. Granted, I don't have any desire to rush it by going any faster. I usually load 100 at a time and it takes a half hour and that includes replenishing the primer tray to keep gravity on the ones in the tube. I don't have to change powder for 100 by just topping it off before I start.

I think it's because I combine so many functions in that while sizing, I'm ready with the other hand for the priming. I've also become accustomed to reaching for bullet and having it there when the case comes out of the powder hopper. Two strokes puts it through the seater and fcd and I have another case to replace the finished case with. Four rounds a minute isn't normally a problem. A rate of 100 an hour is slightly less than two cases a minute -. I guess it's just how you get used to doing it.

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2010, 09:22
Perhaps it's because I've been using it for years, but I don't have any problem averagening 200 an hour at a regular pace. Granted, I don't have any desire to rush it by going any faster. I usually load 100 at a time and it takes a half hour and that includes replenishing the primer tray to keep gravity on the ones in the tube. I don't have to change powder for 100 by just topping it off before I start.

I think it's because I combine so many functions in that while sizing, I'm ready with the other hand for the priming. I've also become accustomed to reaching for bullet and having it there when the case comes out of the powder hopper. Two strokes puts it through the seater and fcd and I have another case to replace the finished case with. Four rounds a minute isn't normally a problem. A rate of 100 an hour is slightly less than two cases a minute -. I guess it's just how you get used to doing it.

Thats my experiance with my LCT as well. But the difference from 200 in a hour to 250 was pretty significant and not something I would be able to manage for two solid hours.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 10:46
well thanx for responding. first i do have reloading tools and presses. i just want to try the lee turret and see if it is worth it.
i would be happy with 200 an hour. im doing every step separated at this time with a load master and pro 1000. due to the primer system that sucks.
i would like to do the steps on the turret but im afraid is not relaiable to load the primers as with the ones i already have.
so those who use one tell me how reliable they are. so far i onlu hear the negative and how cheaP THEY ARE. BUT I READ GOOD THINGS ON THE NET.
i want some real world experience .

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2010, 10:56
so those who use one tell me how reliable they are. so far i onlu hear the negative and how cheaP THEY ARE. BUT I READ GOOD THINGS ON THE NET.

My experiance with the Lee Classic Turret was positive. I wish I had never sold it. I used to have a video of me cranking out 100 rds in about 22mins (250rds a hour). The priming system of the LCT is nothing like other presses (besides Lee Turrets/Single Stages). You have the typical lee primer flipper attached to the arm that kinda just hangs on the press. When you want to prime the primer punch you push it with you thumb and the primer goes in the cup. I had it a long time ago before some of the people figured things out even better then me. I would have to press the thing with my thumb in the right manner or every once in a while it would not go in the cup but instead hit the floor. Not a huge issue as you just pressed again and it would work. I latter found out I probably needed to just shim it up a little bit with a washer (very simple). Even with the small glitch I liked the press. It would not happen often enough to really cause a huge issue and was more of a issue the faster I tried to go (like over 200 rds a hour rate).

im doing every step separated at this time with a load master and pro 1000. due to the primer system that sucks.

Don't tell KCBrown. :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
04-05-2010, 11:42
well thanx for responding. first i do have reloading tools and presses. i just want to try the lee turret and see if it is worth it.
i would be happy with 200 an hour. im doing every step separated at this time with a load master and pro 1000. due to the primer system that sucks.
i would like to do the steps on the turret but im afraid is not relaiable to load the primers as with the ones i already have.

You keep saying Lee Turret, and everyone here is talking about a Lee CLASSIC Turret.. There is a difference, and you need to understand that when ordering. There is also a price difference(usually $20-$30)

Lee Turret
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=880135

Lee Classic Turret
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=814175

If you're buying local, and for some reason you can't tell the difference, the most obvious is the handle, and the handle linkage. They are very different between the two.. The priming system on both of them however, is different(and seems more reliable) than either the Pro 1000 or the LoadMaster.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2010, 12:13
The link for the Lee Turret you listed is also a 3 hole setup. So you crimp and seat in the same step.

IndyGunFreak
04-05-2010, 12:20
The link for the Lee Turret you listed is also a 3 hole setup. So you crimp and seat in the same step.

The picture is, but the item description says its the 4hole...

IGF

dubels
04-05-2010, 13:10
With the pro 1000 to keep the priming system happy all you need to do is keep it clean and make sure there are primers loaded up to the hopper. The primers need to create enough weight for the next primer to enter the press area for it to prime the case. I usually load about 100 rounds with my Pro 1000 then use some compressed air to blow out the primer feed area. I need to stop around 100 anyways since I was a fool and never got the case collator, and I tend to only load 100 primers at a time. Every 2000 rounds or so I break down the press and clean it out. The only problems that I seem to have with the primer feed system now is if a flake of powder happens to fall on the primer press area and it will try to load a little sideways but if I am smooth and pay attention it goes in fine. I actually have loaded some WCC cases with crimped primer pockets that snuck by me with no problem.

The LCT is a good press to have. I am thinking about buying one to have on the side for .40S&W and a universal decapping die so I can deal with crimped primer pockets more efficiently. I am just waiting for my 03FFL discount.

If you are looking for the best deal do not over look grafs, they have free shipping so the $10 difference on the sale price of the LCT at Midway might even out after shipping. Plus Grafs has it in stock.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 13:21
yes to be politically correct . it is the lee "classic turret press" that i want.:cool:
the new one with the 4 holes . not the old 3 holed one.:supergrin:

sjones
04-05-2010, 13:23
Kempf gun shop has the whole classic kit in your choice of caliber for $177.00.I just bought one from them a month ago.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 13:25
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=622290
is this the same kit?

IndyGunFreak
04-05-2010, 13:26
yes to politically correct . it is the lee "classic turret press" that i want.:cool:
the new one with the 4 holes . not the old 3 holed one.:supergrin:

It's not being "politically correct"(?)... You were getting advice based on the Classic Turret, but kept asking about the "Lee Turret"... There's a significant difference.. The Lee Turret has a 4 hole configuration, just like the Classic Turret.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
04-05-2010, 13:27
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=622290
is this the same kit?

No.. and once again.. you're looking at the 4 hole turret, not the classic. If you want the 4 hole, thats fine, but just a second ago, you said you wanted the Classic Turret.

Here's the Kempf Kit... Add the two "upgrades" at the bottom, and the press comes to about 200. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

IGF

kcbrown
04-05-2010, 13:33
im doing every step separated at this time with a load master and pro 1000. due to the primer system that sucks.
Don't tell KCBrown. :whistling:

LOL!

Well, admittedly, my experience with both the Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster isn't extensive or anything, so I may be in for a surprise down the line...

Also, I should note that my experience is limited to the use of small primers, and I use CCI 500 primers almost exclusively (I've got some Magtechs as a reserve supply but haven't used any of them yet). It's possible that my "luck" with the priming systems is the result of the great amount of care I take when using the presses (a combination of using very smooth strokes, having the press mounted very solidly, etc.) combined with using primers that (by chance) Lee as a company seems to like/recommend/etc. The type of primer you're using should not be overlooked here: the CCI 500 has a plating on them that may reduce their friction compared with other primers that lack that plating. The primers themselves are very light and since Lee depends on a gravity feed, the friction between the primers and the feed body is probably rather crucial (in that it needs to be as little as possible).

Anyway, if you need to get 250+ rounds per hour out of a press, you'll be hard pressed to do it with the LCT. You're probably better off trying to get a handle on why you're having so much trouble with the priming system on both your progressives. I suspect the most important thing is how the press is mounted (in particular, how solidly it's mounted). Does your press move at all during operation? On your Loadmaster, do you use a sizing die with the decapping pin removed in station 2 in order to correctly align the case with the priming pin? On your Pro 1000, do you use a smooth, gentle forward push on the handle when seating the primer? Do you ensure that you always have primers in the primer chute all the way up to the top of the chute where the primer tray attaches? Are you meticulous about keeping the primer troughs clean and free of any lubricants?

These presses are unfortunately not nearly as forgiving as other progressives in their operation, but in my limited experience they seem to work reasonably well once dialed in as long as you operate them carefully. I will say this, though: they take some effort to get set up exactly right and that could easily involve the replacement of some parts. Their quality control doesn't seem to be the best in the world...

One more thing: if you're having trouble with either the Pro 1000 or the Loadmaster, I strongly advise you to go to the forums on loadmastervideos.com and attempt to get help there. The people there have an enormous amount of experience with these presses (the Loadmaster in particular) and may be able to help you diagnose and fix your issues.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 13:36
i guess i dont know what i want.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 13:38
well here is the correct link. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=814175
sorry for the confusion. im at work and you know how it goes.

IndyGunFreak
04-05-2010, 13:39
well here is the correct link. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=814175
sorry for the confusion. im at work and you know how it goes.

Yes, that is the Classic Turret... The links to both are in post #14.. .You can tell by the pictures the differences.

kcbrown
04-05-2010, 16:18
Despite what I said above, the Lee Classic Turret is a press that I think is worth having in its own right even if you already use a progressive. I've used mine on a number of occasions to help deal with stoppages of my progressives. It's also useful if you shoot a number of calibers and one of them doesn't happen to be one that you shoot in very high volume.

But if your primary goal is to improve your production rate, you'll probably want to look at something else. If you can't get your current progressives to work reliably for you, the Dillon 550 and 650 are both excellent and have second-to-none support from the manufacturer.

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2010, 16:59
i guess i dont know what i want.

I think we all just want one or more of these.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/dillon_reloading_machines/1050.jpg

Do the small batch's of stuff on a 550 and Single stage.

RustyFN
04-05-2010, 17:05
I think we all just want one or more of these for each caliber.

Fixed it for you.

The priming system on the classic turret is nothing like the P-1000 or the Load master. The safety prime on my classic turret has worked near flawless since the day I set it up.

Colorado4Wheel
04-05-2010, 17:10
That is better. Thanks.

illrooster132
04-05-2010, 17:18
I think we all just want one or more of these.

makes me cry.:crying: , wish i had the money:supergrin:damn you for hurting my feelings:embarassed:

ursoboostd
04-07-2010, 18:34
Bought my LCT from Kempf and couldn't be happier!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/ursoboostd/stuff/0042.jpg