I-Pad or Netbook [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I-Pad or Netbook

kyarcher
04-04-2010, 21:21
Is there much difference between the two? I'm looking at buying one of the two soon but having a hard time deciding.

targus
04-04-2010, 22:47
Um, there's a TON of difference between the two, starting with the user interface. Honestly, I believe the iPad is way too new to answer your question with any authority...

cgwahl
04-05-2010, 00:38
It'd help to know what you want to do with it.

However, for work, I'd go with the netbook...if you just want something that's pretty to watch movies and goof off on? Probably the iPad, but the netbook can do that too, minus the pretty part maybe.

targus
04-05-2010, 07:37
What's the claimed battery life on these iPads? Probably won't get near the claimed battery life as is with most rechargeable products under REAL WORLD usage and conditions. It also doesn't look like it has a battery you can swap out for a charges spare, either.

MavsX
04-05-2010, 07:46
haha. huge difference. if you didn't know that..maybe you should't be buying either of them!!

the iPad looks cool, but is it just another fad? Will everybody need to have one just like the iPod or the iPhone? What can it do? Its basically like a huge iPhone (from what i've heard)

The netbook, depending on which model is like a small less powerful laptop? Convenient? Yes. Realistic? maybe, depending on use, and how big the screen or keyboard is. If either is too small, it might be cumbersome to use all the time.

I'd say go look at both devices in person. see what fits your personality, or what you intend to use this for. Is this a couch web surfer ? good luck!

js0ne
04-05-2010, 07:56
:whistling:

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/022010/ipad_vs_notebook.jpg

MavsX
04-05-2010, 08:10
good call on the flash support. i forgot about that jsone

hamster
04-05-2010, 08:11
It really depends on what you want to do with it. What applications are you planning on using the netbook/ipad for?

kyarcher
04-05-2010, 08:14

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/022010/ipad_vs_notebook.jpg

I like that quote by Steve Jobs "netbooks aren't better at anything". I have written off the I-Pad

cgwahl
04-05-2010, 08:48
What's the claimed battery life on these iPads? Probably won't get near the claimed battery life as is with most rechargeable products under REAL WORLD usage and conditions. It also doesn't look like it has a battery you can swap out for a charges spare, either.

Someone in one of the iPad threads on GNG said it lasted about 12 hours so far without a charge. Pretty decent I think.

And it isn't a swappable battery.

targus
04-05-2010, 09:10
Someone in one of the iPad threads on GNG said it lasted about 12 hours so far without a charge. Pretty decent I think.

And it isn't a swappable battery.

Wow, that's pretty darned good. Too bad ALL rechargeable batteries wear out. Too bad the iPad will essentially become a disposable product (unless you want to be tethered to the wall all the time) when the battery dies OR you have to pay some ridiculous repair charge to get it replaced. :upeyes:

cgwahl
04-05-2010, 09:28
Wow, that's pretty darned good. Too bad ALL rechargeable batteries wear out. Too bad the iPad will essentially become a disposable product (unless you want to be tethered to the wall all the time) when the battery dies OR you have to pay some ridiculous repair charge to get it replaced. :upeyes:

Yeah, I will say that is a huge failing of this device. I am nowhere near an Apple Fanboy and I don't like Apple products that much cause they tie you to their service (iTunes, Apple Store, approved apps). And while I think not having an easily replaced batter in the iPods and iPhones is lame, the industry seems to be moving that way at least in regards to mp3 players, so so be it.

But not having a swappable battery in a computer-like device is just a massive blunder in my opinion. The lack of a USB port and card reader is the other thing that is dumb. Who knows, maybe they'll do this in 2nd generation, but I just don't see Jobs doing that.

targus
04-05-2010, 09:48
And while I think not having an easily replaced batter in the iPods and iPhones is lame, the industry seems to be moving that way at least in regards to mp3 players, so so be it.

Well, they wanted it to be thin, so I can see a non-user replaceable battery design, but I still think it was a mistake. I won't own a cell phone without a user replaceable battery. In fact, I really won't own ANY portable electronic device except for a bluetooth earpiece or something small/disposable without a user replaceable battery. The only thing I have like that without a swappable battery is a Garmin Nuvi GPS, but it spends 99.9% of its life when being used in the car cradle externally powered by the cigarette lighter.

cgwahl
04-05-2010, 13:24
Well, they wanted it to be thin, so I can see a non-user replaceable battery design, but I still think it was a mistake. I won't own a cell phone without a user replaceable battery. In fact, I really won't own ANY portable electronic device except for a bluetooth earpiece or something small/disposable without a user replaceable battery. The only thing I have like that without a swappable battery is a Garmin Nuvi GPS, but it spends 99.9% of its life when being used in the car cradle externally powered by the cigarette lighter.

Cell phone is a must in my opinion. I'm actually surprised so many people were/are ok with that in regards to the iPhone. I think the thinness is a copout in my opinion cause batteries (phone at least) are fairly thin as it is and not as if they can't be made thinner.

MP3 player...I admit, I was hesitant to go that route for a few years just because I was against it, but sadly most things are moving that way. I finally relented. But at least with a player, you can just plug it into a computer (or possibly car). Of course, not as portable though.

js0ne
04-05-2010, 14:42

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/js0ne/lolPad.png

g29andy
04-05-2010, 16:44
I'll keep my iPad Mini. It makes phone calls, too.

durian00
04-06-2010, 12:40
I believe the iPad naysayers will plan for this - HP Slate

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/07/article-1262889714486-07C7D81B000005DC-173105_636x360.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAhbOppFqA&NR=1