Undersized plated 45's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Undersized plated 45's?

cray2751
04-04-2010, 23:33
Well I got my Powerbond 200 grn RN 45 bullets in and was about to load some up but before I did I measured a few just to make sure they were gtg. The ones I measure came in at .450 and .4505 to me these are undersized because they are suppose to be .451 but this is my first experience with plated bullets. So, is this the norm on these and would they be ok and be accurate coming in at these measurements. Also if anyone has some plated 45 laying around and could give me a measurement that would be great.

albyihat
04-05-2010, 21:49
i have had issues with plated bullets and have had to get a undersized die in order to get the case tension i need to prevent setback. i suggest a test run of 5-10 without powder or primers and see if you can press the bullet back in by hand (just holding the bullet and trying to push it back into the case) the case tension should be enough that pushing just with your finger should not setback the bullet. check this with caliper. if setback occcurs do not use unless as a single shot. before i got undersize dies every8th or so bullet i would be able to just push the bullet back into the case with very little pressure. be careful .001 makes a difference.

albyihat
04-05-2010, 21:52
one more thing crimp does not help this problem. more crimp can make it worse. also call whoever makes your press the guys at dillon helped me out lot on questions like this.

CTSixshot
04-06-2010, 07:25
Seems to me I had some plated .44 fodder that was a bit undersized. Either that or it would deform while crimping. I was able to get adequate grip in order to shoot the stuff, but I didn't use them in stout magnum loads. I generally will mike the bullets before purchase when it comes to any other unknown brand plated bullets or leave them on the shelf.

mteagle1
04-06-2010, 09:32
Contact the company and send them back. Shooting undersized bullets is a waste of powder and primers (in short enough supply) and they would probably pattern instead of group. Plated bullets should never be crimped rather the bell in the case is removed enough to drop in a case guage.