Still looking for the right bullet, 9 & 40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for the right bullet, 9 & 40

saddleman
04-05-2010, 11:51
Are FMJ's more accurate than plated? I looked at some precision Delta FMJ and they are not much different in price that Berry plated. So, what is the best bullet for 9mm and 40ca and what is the best bullet for the price, two different quesions?
Thanks as always.

ricky_arthur
04-05-2010, 13:01
Either should give plenty good accuracy for practice or plinking A jacketed bullet does have some advantages in that they are easier to load. The plated bullets are fragile and require more delicate and precise reloading. However, that being said, I've had great luck with berry's 155gr hollow base plated bullets and plan to buy more. Very accurate and easier to load than the 165gr Berry's I tried. My LW BBl does not like the 165gr and I found the plating to be very easily damaged while loading. Even with just enough crimp to remove the bell I would see about 1 in 40-50 wad up the jacket at the case mouth and they would not drop into my bullet guage. When I tried a slightly more agressive crimp, like I do with every other bullet I've loaded, I ruined 15-20 bullets and had to pull them. Accuracy with the 165gr is good enough (see pic) but I won't buy anymore of that specific bullet, and I just finished loading the 1k I had bought.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab121/ricky_arthur/Glocktest027.jpg

fredj338
04-05-2010, 14:11
Most will tell you plated accuracy is just ok, jacketed & lead better. That is at least my exp. if yo uwant pure accuracy, the MontanaGold are better IMO, than the PD & way ahead of Berry's but they are quite a bit more money.

BBJones
04-05-2010, 14:36
Most will tell you plated accuracy is just ok, jacketed & lead better. That is at least my exp. if yo uwant pure accuracy, the MontanaGold are better IMO, than the PD & way ahead of Berry's but they are quite a bit more money.

Fred - where would you rate Zero's in that mix of PD and MG?

I have only used Zero's but have some MG's standing by when my Zero's run out. I saw that PD's were cheaper than both Zero's and MG's and am wondering if quality is sacrificed.

Anyone else feel free to weigh in. Sorry for the slight thread jack but it is the same basic question from the OP.

Fire_Medic
04-05-2010, 14:43
I myself have settled on the 124gr CMJ for 9mm and the 180gr CMJ for 40SW both from MG.
:wavey:

albyihat
04-05-2010, 21:27
this is for ricky arthur i have used berrys 155grs and i have used rainier. i had problems with berrys and none with rainier so now i stick to rainier my g22 loves the 180gr and through midway the price is right. just my 2cents.

RH45
04-11-2010, 04:41
Fred - where would you rate Zero's in that mix of PD and MG?

I have only used Zero's but have some MG's standing by when my Zero's run out. I saw that PD's were cheaper than both Zero's and MG's and am wondering if quality is sacrificed.

Anyone else feel free to weigh in. Sorry for the slight thread jack but it is the same basic question from the OP.

I've shot MGs and Zeros out of all of my pistols (20+), and the Zeros need less powder to make the same velocity, and, have been more accurate.

Also, the jhps give me better accuracy than the fmjs.

dudel
04-11-2010, 04:58
Every barrel is different. The G17/G26 seem to prefer plated over FMJ. LW barrel really likes lead. It was an eye opener.

Motown Fire
04-11-2010, 15:22
http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=11

This is where I get all my .40S&W 180 Grain from.

PCJim
04-11-2010, 15:58
I've had great results with Zero's jacketed bullets in 9mm and 45acp. I am working on some 40S&W now, but cannot give any feedback yet.

The only problem I have with Zero's product line is that their production wait times can be lengthy for certain bullets. I'm still waiting on an order for 9mm 147grJHP that has been outstanding since August....

HAMMERHEAD
04-11-2010, 16:08
I've had excellent results with plated bullets in 9mm, .38 Super and .45acp. I use Rainier .356" 130 round nose bullets in both the 9 (G-17L and G-19) and the Super. Two inch groups from a rest at 25 yards are common with the Super with the plated bullets, the Glocks will do under three inches.
A good hollowpoint or a Hornady HAP will do better, but not your run of the mill 9mm FMJ.