Critique .40 ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Critique .40 ammo?

Kyle1886
04-05-2010, 14:20
In preperation of the CA. AB 962, I'm going to attempt to order as much ammo as I can afford, off the Internet. I'm looking for reliable but less expensive "range ammo". (I can order only in small amounts). I'm looking for a critique of the following brands of ammo in the .40 cal. FMJ/JHP 180 gr. for a G22. Hopefully, this bill will not survive, but in case it does...

Speer Lawman:

Fiocchi:

Remington UMC: (I've read here on GT that the UMC my have setback issuses or at least shorter OAL issues. Is that a problem in the .40 cal)?

Remington PMC:

Sellier & Bellot:

If you have experience with other gr. weights other than the 180 that you think are better, please feel free to elaborate. Also add any other round manufacturer that you think has inexpensive and reliable ammo. (I cannot shoot Wolf or any steel case at my range).

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
Kyle

mteagle1
04-06-2010, 09:09
For range ammo I would look at Winchester WB & Federal (American Eagle). Remington seems to be going through a quality control problem and I have always had a problem repriming Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi.

voyager4520
04-06-2010, 12:38
I can tell you I've never had a problem with American Eagle or PMC Bronze, they're both excellent quality. I've only tried one box of Blazer Brass and it worked fine, but I just didn't like it. Pretty dirty residue left behind and the bullets are plated instead of jacketed, so it's not wise to use it in ported guns.

I've heard Glocks can have problems cycling Remington UMC, but I've never tried the stuff. What's Remington PMC? Never heard of it and can't find anything about it through searches.

Kyle1886
04-06-2010, 12:51
Thanks for the replys. It is appreciated.

Below is the write up on the PMC Voyager, It really doesn't give a manufacturer on AmmoToGo, at least I did not see it. Just the text below. I was told it was a Rem brand but I really don't know.

PMC Bronze
"This is 40 S&W PMC 180gr. Flat Point FMJ Ammo. This ammo is brass cased, boxer primed and 100% non-corrosive. PMC has offered quality ammo for many years and still remains a strong competitor in the target ammo arena. This is premium quality target ammo at an affordable price. It is packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case."

Thanks again,

voyager4520
04-06-2010, 13:28
PMC has nothing to do with the Remington company. They're a company out of South Korea that produces ammunition. PMC Bronze is one of the cartridges I prefer to shoot, along with American Eagle. Both are excellent quality.

I think PMC used to make aluminum cased ammo, but their current product PMC 'Bronze' is brass cased.

pmcammo.com

Fire_Medic
04-06-2010, 17:22
I like the Speer Lawman ammo it's accurate and clean, and I also like the PMC Bonze, the PMC Bronze brass is one of my favorite to reload.
:wavey:

Stepaway
04-09-2010, 14:26
PMC Bronze
"This is 40 S&W PMC 180gr. Flat Point FMJ Ammo. This ammo is brass cased, boxer primed and 100% non-corrosive. PMC has offered quality ammo for many years and still remains a strong competitor in the target ammo arena. This is premium quality target ammo at an affordable price. It is packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case."

I used a box last week - zero malfunctions in a brand new G23. I'm not experienced enough to tell you how it stacks up against other ammo though. Best of luck to you.

rfd339
04-11-2010, 11:54
I have used Georgia arms canned heat for the past 7years with no issues. I sometimes use wwb , blazer brass and remington.

Brucev
04-11-2010, 12:15
For range use I have had uniformly excellent results with WWB 180gr. FMJ and Magtech 165gr. FMJ ammo. I have fired 1,500 rds. of Fed. Champion 180gr. FMJ ammo. In one box I had four failures to feed using one magazine. I switched magazines and the rest of the box fed normally. Since then I've fired over 400 more rounds of this load w/ no problems. I very much like the Fed. and Win. ammo. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.

pizza_pablo
04-21-2010, 11:41
I have used Georgia arms canned heat for the past 7years with no issues. I sometimes use wwb , blazer brass and remington.

Are those not reloads?
I though we were not supposed to shoot reloads from stock Glock barrels :dunno:

rfd339
04-21-2010, 13:50
Are those not reloads?
I though we were not supposed to shoot reloads from stock Glock barrels :dunno:

Manufactured but I think that means the same. Again , GA has worked great for me. I have used 10 ammo cans/1000rds each, though the years in my g23,g21,g27,g35, Kimber pro-carry II and my sig220r with no issues to date.

Ak.Hiker
04-25-2010, 14:53
I have run quite a bit of Speer Lawman and Remington UMC in 180 grain weight in my Glock 22. They are both very good loads.