Recipe for sub-sonic 223 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for sub-sonic 223

sfguard
04-05-2010, 19:29
Buddy of mine wants me to load up some sub-sonic 223 ammo for his m4 with a supressor on it. I told him that I would see what I could find out. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I would really like to use 55 grain projectiles if possible because I have a bunch of them versus buying something else. Anyone have a good recipe:whistling:?

D. Manley
04-05-2010, 20:19
Buddy of mine wants me to load up some sub-sonic 223 ammo for his m4 with a supressor on it. I told him that I would see what I could find out. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I would really like to use 55 grain projectiles if possible because I have a bunch of them versus buying something else. Anyone have a good recipe:whistling:?

This puts velocity at standard .22 rimfire velocities...it can be done but they ain't gonna' cycle an autoloader. For a start, look HERE (http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/Standarddata(Rifle)/22Cal(5.56mm)/223%20Remington%20pages%20185%20to%20187.pdf) at the very bottom of the page.

sfguard
04-05-2010, 20:28
Thanks for the info

sarge
04-05-2010, 20:56
I've loaded 3.5 gr TiteGroup under a 55gr FMJ bullet. It's subsonic and with a suppressor you can only hear the hammer drop. Does not cycle the action on an AR.

sfguard
04-05-2010, 22:36
I've loaded 3.5 gr TiteGroup under a 55gr FMJ bullet. It's subsonic and with a suppressor you can only hear the hammer drop. Does not cycle the action on an AR.

Cool thanks

Cole125
04-05-2010, 22:46
My guess is any .223 round loaded to sub sonic is going to turn his M4 into a strait pull bolt action.

Tell your buddy to save his time and effort and get a .22 lr upper for his M4 and have it threaded for the can hes got.

CTSixshot
04-06-2010, 07:18
The following sub-sonic loads are listed under Hodgdon's website.:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=mini align=middle>55 GR. HDY FMJ </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>IMR </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>Trail Boss </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>.224" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>2.200" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>4.0 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>1074 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD></TR><TR class=altrow><TD class=mini align=middle>55 GR. HDY FMJ </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>Hodgdon </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>Titegroup </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>.224" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>2.200" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>3.1 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>1064 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>4,000 CUP </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=mini align=middle>55 GR. HDY FMJ </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>Hodgdon </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>Clays </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>.224" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>2.200" </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle> </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>3.2 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>1060 </TD><TD class=mini align=middle>3,700 CUP </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dudel
04-06-2010, 17:40
My guess is any .223 round loaded to sub sonic is going to turn his M4 into a strait pull bolt action.

Tell your buddy to save his time and effort and get a .22 lr upper for his M4 and have it threaded for the can hes got.

It can be done (obviously, since the military does it). You need a heavier projectile, so that you can use a high volume/pressure powder. The equivalent of AutoComp for .223. The heavier projectile will let you build more pressure while keeping the speed down. The high volume powder will generate the pressure to work the action.

Of course, with a heavier projectile, the standard 1:9 twist may not stabilize the projectile. It's doable; but it's not for the novice.

Using a 223 tuned can for 22lr is not going to work very well. Neither would using a 22lr can for .223 gas volumes. AAC is very clear on that.

Jakk
04-06-2010, 19:07
It can be done (obviously, since the military does it)...
While there are a couple of commercial loadings that are somewhat successful in cycling subsonic .223 (TTI and EBR come to mind), I have never heard of a military round that does this. Care to share the mil designation?

Using a 223 tuned can for 22lr is not going to work very well.

Actually, it works extremely well. While many .223 cans are optimized to use the high-pressure gasses generated by a centerfire rifle cartridge, the excess internal volume more than makes up for any deficiency in design when using a low-pressure / low-volume .22LR.

For that matter, I routinely use a large .45 subgun can with a .22LR. The exit hole is nearly 3 times the little bullet's diameter. But it sounds as good as when shooting with a modern .22 can. Again, the large internal volume more than makes up for any other design inefficiencies.

stengun
04-06-2010, 22:31
Howdy sfguard,

Been there and done that. Do a little research and you will see I started a thread asking the same thing.

Even w/ 75gr bullets I could never ge a load to stay subsonic and still cycle the action of my AR.

Paul