Federal primers - SP and SP magnum same "hardness" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal primers - SP and SP magnum same "hardness"

ron59
04-06-2010, 12:21
Title really says it all...

I know that Federal primers are considerably softer than say CCI's primers... what I'm curious about is if there is a difference of hardness between Federal's SP and SP magnum primers?

I have a Vanek Trigger in my Glock... it doesn't pop the CCI primers reliably, so I had to put the "medium" firing pin spring on to do so. Charlie says himself that the lightest firing pin spring may not fire CCIs, but should fire Federals.

Well, I picked up a 5 hundred Federal SP primers just now, to see how well it works. I have an order in at PV for 10,000 magnum primers, and I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples?

BigDog[RE]
04-06-2010, 17:39
I shoot Federal MATCH primers out of lightened PPC revolver. I'm not sure if the regular fed primers are soft or not, but the match ones are.

dudel
04-06-2010, 17:49
Magnum versions of primers generally have harder cups due to the higher pressures involved. Hard / soft is relative. It's more easily observed within the same brand of primers. It gets more difficult when talking about different brands.

n2extrm
04-06-2010, 18:26
I use federals in my tuned revolver. It will not fire CCI the federals are NP. I tried some sp mags in a load I was experimenting with and had no problems in my revolver. In the end I use the standard federal SP primers and stuck with them. I would say any Federal primer is going to be softer then any competitors similar labeled primer.

mteagle1
04-07-2010, 06:38
Ran a test with Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum SP, Federal Magnum SP, Federal regular SP, WSP, CCI SP & CCI SP Magnum using a Vanek Trigger and a Jager Lightened striker and the only difference was a small velocity spread.

ron59
04-07-2010, 08:07
Ran a test with Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum SP, Federal Magnum SP, Federal regular SP, WSP, CCI SP & CCI SP Magnum using a Vanek Trigger and a Jager Lightened striker and the only difference was a small velocity spread.

I already ran 250 of CCI small pistol magnums... no good. I load 10 to a magazine, and hardly had ANY magazines without at least one primer not firing. As I mentioned, Charlies website even mentions this being a possibility.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2010, 08:14
So is there much difference between the spring that fires the CCI and the one that works with Federal only? I like the CCI primers for cost, consistency, ease of purchase, etc. Federal are a lot harder to find.

Three-Five-Seven
04-07-2010, 09:01
No difference between magnum and regular Federal primers in terms of sensitivity. Both go bang equally well in my very lightly sprung race guns.

No problemo.

ron59
04-07-2010, 09:33
So is there much difference between the spring that fires the CCI and the one that works with Federal only? I like the CCI primers for cost, consistency, ease of purchase, etc. Federal are a lot harder to find.

Yes, I could detect a difference when I was shooting the gun, and would like to go back to the light spring.

Let's say there are 3 springs we're talking about:
1) Stock Glock
2) Vanek "medium"
3) Vanek "light"

(I'm pretty sure the light spring is an aftermarket spring, and his medium spring is simply a stock spring that has been cut down?)

2 & 3 came in his kit. The light spring would not detonate CCI primers reliably... I missed something like 10%? Some might fire on a second attempt, some wouldn't fire at all. I do not believe the primers were "High", because out of the 12,000+ rounds I've reloaded since last July, I never had a misfire until installing the Vanek kit (with light spring). And once I installed his medium spring, I have yet to have another misfire, and I've probably got close to 2000 rounds through the gun. So I think the issue is the light spring with CCI primers, which he even says is possibly an issue on his site, so I don't fault him or is kit because of that.

As far as CCI vs Federal primers go... they're only $1.50 difference per 1000, that's not too much for me. Now... I've not ordered Federals from PV previously, so maybe it'll be a long time until I get them... and that's fine. I have a separate order in for some more CCIs, I'll shoot them with my medium spring until this "backlog" clears up, which someday it will.

So yeah... I was just wanting to make sure that there wasn't a difference in hardness between the two. As I said, I was able to pickup locally some non-magnum Federals I want to run as a test, but it's magnums I have ordered from PV and wanted to feel confident there'd not be an issue.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2010, 10:23
Yeah, I'm just curious. $1.50 is no big deal. Bigger deal is the wait like you say. For the record. I use CCI primers exclusively. I have used Federal before and still have a good amount in my drawer just in case. Not enough to last me even a month of regular shooting. My G34 has an aftermarket spring of some sort in it and it fires CCI 100.00%. So you might want to look into "other" aftermarket striker springs as another option if it seems worth the trouble. Obviously, if you find Federal it's not worth the trouble at all.

BOGE
04-07-2010, 19:46
There is no difference other than more brisance.

ron59
04-07-2010, 20:07

I thought you misspelled that word... I'd never heard of it. I learned something today !

Jager1147
04-08-2010, 18:49
I already ran 250 of CCI small pistol magnums... no good. I load 10 to a magazine, and hardly had ANY magazines without at least one primer not firing. As I mentioned, Charlies website even mentions this being a possibility.

Was this with my striker? So far my striker has a perfect track record for lighting hard primers, I better knock wood.....

ar15_dude
04-08-2010, 20:00

BOGE is correct. What I understand is the manufacture of SP and SP magnum primers is the same. After testing, the "hotter" lots are considered magnums. Not much real difference, maybe a few FPS difference.

ron59
04-08-2010, 20:00
Was this with my striker? So far my striker has a perfect track record for lighting hard primers, I better knock wood.....

No. I see where you mentions that the Jaker lightened striker is available, but he mentions that in conjunction with the "Grand Master Kit". I purchased the Classic Kit, which I don't believe uses your striker.

He doesn't specify the parts he uses, I even asked him about where they came from, he simply said I could get replacement parts through him (I was mostly asking about parts that will wear easily, such as the springs).