First ever IDPA event.....Won my division/3rd overall-LOL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First ever IDPA event.....Won my division/3rd overall-LOL

finz50
04-06-2010, 15:41
Just got back from the match (is that what they're called?). Had a blast, no pun intended. Thanks for the advice from everyone. Ended up shooting the M&P9 and actually shot better than I thought I would.

First stage (stage 3) I was nervous as heck and didn't do as good as I would have like, but after I knew what too expect, I was able to relax and shoot a little better. Wasn't the fastest shooter out there, but was surprised that I was as accurate as I was (third stage I missed one head shot out of 9 total and was super stoked). That stuff Mas talks about regarding tunnel vision and everything is totally true. All I saw was a rough silhouette and my front sight-LOL. If it was real life and there was more than one shooter I'd be a dead dog!

One of the guys gave me some advice on movement to/from different lines...said I was just walking backwards, like a normal person would, and showed me a "better way" (heel to toe) that I'll have to try next time.

Overall it was awesome. Got to learn about how I actually shoot/react under pressure versus how I think I'm going to shoot/react (i.e. on tactical reload with retention, I just dropped the mag to the ground--DOH!!!).

OK...just got the results and thought I'd post them.....I finished 3rd overall (out of 17 total) and 1st in SSP (out of 7)! Can't believe it. The first and second place guys obviously shot before and knew what they were doing (especially the guy that won the whole thing!). Most everyone else were NooBs like me. Lot's of folks shot way faster than me and I thought they were shooting more accurate too, but somehow I beat most of them....can't wait until next months shoot!!

DustyDawg48
04-06-2010, 17:21
Excellent! IDPA is good about needing a combination of speed and accuracy. One won't compensate for the lack of another. Glad to hear another had a great time and are looking for the next match. Keep us posted on your shooting!

keninnavarre
04-06-2010, 19:08
Good shooting, finz, I shot my first match a few weeks ago. Where did you shoot? I'm in the Fla panhandle, too, I shot at ERML. Man, what a blast!!! Came home and joined up with IDPA the same day.

finz50
04-06-2010, 21:30
I shoot on at the pistol & rifle club on base at Hurlburt. They just started last week and plan on doing it monthly.

ronin.45
04-06-2010, 23:55
Nice job! I bet you keep thinking about next month already.:cool:

ron59
04-07-2010, 07:40
Only 17 shooters? There were 63 at our club's last event, and multiple of us missed it to be at a GSSF shoot. I actually would *like* a smaller club, so it wouldn't take as long to shoot... lol.

They don't appear to have your scores broken down by classification? SSP is only the division, but within that you have Master, Expert, SharpShooter, Marksman, Novice, Unclassified. It helps knowing the classification of your co-competitors so you can gauge how you did.

Looks like you kicked some butt at your first event... nowhere to go but up! IDPA is pretty dang fun, huh?

Jeff82
04-07-2010, 08:02
Good job!! Now maintain that!

finz50
04-07-2010, 09:26
Yeah we started at 0800 and were done around noon. They broke us into two groups.....said next time maybe we can get more RSOs and get it done quicker that way too.

ronin.45
04-07-2010, 11:32
Only 17 shooters? There were 63 at our club's last event, and multiple of us missed it to be at a GSSF shoot. I actually would *like* a smaller club, so it wouldn't take as long to shoot... lol.

They don't appear to have your scores broken down by classification? SSP is only the division, but within that you have Master, Expert, SharpShooter, Marksman, Novice, Unclassified. It helps knowing the classification of your co-competitors so you can gauge how you did.

Looks like you kicked some butt at your first event... nowhere to go but up! IDPA is pretty dang fun, huh?

At many of our local matches we don't worry about classification unless it's a classifier. With 20 shooters each division would only have a couple people in it. We go for overall score no matter what division or classification you shoot. Everybody there knows who is in thier skill level and who they are really competing against.

November Sunrise
04-07-2010, 11:45
I too shot my first IDPA match this last weekend. As you mentioned, the tunnel vision was incredible. I also enjoyed watching the Master division guys go to town. It's hard to believe they can connect with the accuracy they do with that kind of speed. Congrats to you.

ron59
04-07-2010, 12:01
At many of our local matches we don't worry about classification unless it's a classifier. With 20 shooters each division would only have a couple people in it. We go for overall score no matter what division or classification you shoot. Everybody there knows who is in thier skill level and who they are really competing against.

We don't "squad" by classification, everybody just shoots as they sign up. So no... during the match, we don't think about the classification, it's simply the results that are separated by classification. If you're a Sharpshooter, you can compare your results against the other folks classified SS, or even Expert, that you didn't shoot with.

During the match, it's hard enough to keep track of your results, much less others. There are guys who I think are doing good during the match (because of their speed), but when I see the final results and all the points down, realize the reality.

jhayesvw
04-08-2010, 21:50
they always let the noob win his first day out!!
just kidding.
congrats on the shooting and now youre hooked.
have fun out there and be safe.

A6Gator
04-13-2010, 09:10
I shoot on at the pistol & rifle club on base at Hurlburt. They just started last week and plan on doing it monthly.

There's an IDPA club in Cantonment, too. Broaden your horizons...

keninnavarre
04-13-2010, 15:39
There's an IDPA club in Cantonment, too. Broaden your horizons...

Thats where I shoot. My first match was last month. I'm proud to say, I wasnt in last place...:tongueout:

finz50
04-13-2010, 21:09
How far is Cantonment from Hurby?

keninnavarre
04-14-2010, 06:58
How far is Cantonment from Hurby?

From Hurlburt, about 50 miles. There were several at the last match from Fort Walton. I drive up from Navarre, myself.

Heres a link...http://www.nwfldps.org/
Theres a match Sunday.