iPad - HOLY COW! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : iPad - HOLY COW!

Drjones
04-06-2010, 16:40
Ok guys, I just played with an iPad at Best Buy.

I WANT ONE SO FRIGGIN' BADLY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

My two biggest reservations with the device were:

1) Performance - hardware is never as fast as it appears to be in commercials, presentations, etc.

2) Data entry - how the heck will you type on this thing without lugging around an external keyboard??

Well, a few minutes of hands-on time laid both those to rest. The thing is BLAZING fast AND I can type on it with two hands just about as easily and accurately as a physical keyboard - in landscape mode, of course.

Heck, even using my two index fingers to "hunt & peck" isn't too slow.....

Anyway, for email and reading just about anything on the internet, I'm just about sold....prob gonna wait for the 3G version, though, as waiting for a wifi hotspot won't work for me.

Apple really outdid themselves here....

glock19_fan
04-06-2010, 17:41
Glad you like it. I played with one for an hour, thought it was over-priced.

seanmac45
04-06-2010, 17:54
My 13 year old put it this way; "It's just a large iPod touch that is WAY overpriced."

Out of the mouths of babes.................

Catalina
04-06-2010, 17:58
Try to resist being the early adopter for this wonderful product! In 6 months they'll double the storage, and processor speed, and lower the price.

Trust me as the owner of a iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS

seanmac45
04-06-2010, 18:06
The above is pretty much what I was thinking.

This is only the first wave of a new type of personal portable computing.

NMGlocker
04-06-2010, 18:17
No multi-tasking is the deal breaker.
I kind of like listening to music, surfing the 'net and working on documents at the same time.

JohnBT
04-06-2010, 18:34
No multi-tasking and it won't fit in a shirt pocket? I'll wait on the new, improved 3G, 4G, someG micro mini version.

You might as well ask me to carry a brick around all day. Ain't happening.

JT

Drjones
04-06-2010, 23:22
You guys ought to go try one and see for yourself.

Trust me, I was pleeeeeenty skeptical too....but then I saw it & it was love at first sight! It's just so damned COOL and FUN to use.

lanternlad
04-07-2010, 00:00
Try to resist being the early adopter for this wonderful product! In 6 months they'll double the storage, and processor speed, and lower the price.

Not on an Apple, they won't. In six months they'll proclaim it was the best thing ever invented, deny any problems ever existed (heat, wifi issues), and tout it out in several new colors. The price won't drop for years yet. Apple has some of the lowest processor speeds in the industry, and is slow to change them. If people complain about their stuff not working right, they label them as haters and refuse to listen. For the price you pay for Apple stuff, you could get two of the same from anywhere else. I've owned several Apples, in fact I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro right now. Apple just ain't all that.

MavsX
04-07-2010, 06:27
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206151

Toyman
04-07-2010, 06:53
I'm not a previous iPhone or iPod user, but I bought an iPad. I mainly got it to check it out and see if it would work for a good organizer for the GF. (calendar, email, view PDF's).

I do have a Palm Pre with WebOS. I think the HP Slate will be a much better device, but here's my initial thoughts on the iPad:

1. It is extremely responsive and seems really fast.

2. The screen does look really nice.

3. The audio output (speaker) is extremely nice. I'm listening to podcasts and you would never guess the sound is coming out of something so thin.

4. It's over-priced. For this price it should have come with the word processor app and a few others. It doesn't have many built in apps.

5. The iPhone/iPad OS is very limited in what it can do, and how you can customize it.

6. The basic Apple apps will multi-task, for example, you can listen to music (iPod app) while surfing the web. However, it's junk compared to how WebOS works.

Basically, it's going to be a great device for specific uses. It's not a laptop replacement.

glock19_fan
04-07-2010, 14:09
I'm not a previous iPhone or iPod user, but I bought an iPad. I mainly got it to check it out and see if it would work for a good organizer for the GF. (calendar, email, view PDF's).

I do have a Palm Pre with WebOS. I think the HP Slate will be a much better device, but here's my initial thoughts on the iPad:

1. It is extremely responsive and seems really fast.

2. The screen does look really nice.

3. The audio output (speaker) is extremely nice. I'm listening to podcasts and you would never guess the sound is coming out of something so thin.

4. It's over-priced. For this price it should have come with the word processor app and a few others. It doesn't have many built in apps.

5. The iPhone/iPad OS is very limited in what it can do, and how you can customize it.

6. The basic Apple apps will multi-task, for example, you can listen to music (iPod app) while surfing the web. However, it's junk compared to how WebOS works.

Basically, it's going to be a great device for specific uses. It's not a laptop replacement.Great summary. Exactly what I think.

This is an over-priced toy at this stage.

It is not meant as a replacement for anything. Which means if you've got the money to splurge, go ahead. If you don't, spend your money on a laptop, or iPhone or iPod Touch instead, you'll get more value for your money.

hatidua
04-07-2010, 14:24
I've been an Apple user, exclusively, since my first computer (in 1982), and still don't have an iPhone. I highly doubt playing with an iPad will have me reaching for my wallet, regardless of price.

J_Rico
04-07-2010, 14:25
HP is going to release their on tablet called the Slate. It will run Windows 7.

Sort of interested, but the announced price is too high.

http://www.devicemag.com/2010/04/06/hp-slate-full-specs-prices-release-date-leaked/

JMag
04-07-2010, 16:17
The iPad, while not perfect (but close for its purposes), it has been said will be responsible for Microsoft/Windows taking a backseat to Apple in less than five (5) years if they don't respond and respond well/quickly.

We shall see. The iPad is an amazing device. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait as it likely to be enhance soon as I hear it.

J_Rico
04-07-2010, 16:44
The iPad, while not perfect (but close for its purposes), it has been said will be responsible for Microsoft/Windows taking a backseat to Apple in less than five (5) years if they don't respond and respond well/quickly.

We shall see. The iPad is an amazing device. I almost bought one today, but decided to wait as it likely to be enhance soon as I hear it.

Do you have a link to an article that suggests this? Or did you hear this from the guy at the Apple store?

While anything is possible, I am pretty skeptical.

For that matter HP has as product in the pipeline.

srhoades
04-07-2010, 18:27
3G is almost standard now, how could they not include it?

Drjones
04-07-2010, 20:45

Total BS. People are reluctant to upgrade from XP to 7 because of the hassle and problems they know they will encounter, let alone switch to an entirely different interface (Apple/Mac) that's not compatible with anything else. I've seen MS PowerPoint presentations created on Windows machines that do not display properly on Macs also running MS PowerPoint.

True that MS is probably partly to blame for that, but that's the way it is & the way it will stay for a good long while.

Windows is far too entrenched in the business and personal PC world to be overtaken anywhere near that quickly. 15 years, MAYBE. 5? Whoever told you that was on drugs.

Drjones
04-07-2010, 20:48
3G is almost standard now, how could they not include it?

To keep the price down.

StuntPilot
04-07-2010, 20:52
Tips and tricks...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14529/the-complete-list-of-ipad-tips-tricks-and-tutorials/

GlockerMike
04-08-2010, 02:32
Just an article I saw....... it's from an Australian site.

Analysis: A dozen reasons to not buy an iPad

By Anthony Caruana (http://www.itnews.com.au/Author/224408,anthony-caruana.aspx)

Why you should wait for the next version.

The iPad may be the web's darling and the genesis of a new product category but its shortcomings and some ugly bugs are rearing their heads within days of the product's release.

For all its geek gadget appeal and innovation, a look at the spec sheet and Apple's support forums reveal a less than perfect device.

Here's a dozen reasons to not buy an iPad.

1. No USB

Lacking USB input, the iPad becomes a locked down device where the only peripherals you can use are ones that link through Apple's proprietary dock connector. And in case you didn't pay Apple enough for your iPad, they get a cut of every accessory as that port is licensed.

Without that USB port, you can't easily hookup a keyboard, mouse, digital camera, USB modem or any other useful add-on.

2. No presenter notes

The Mac faithful have been waiting for years for a decent portable presentation solution and they were all betting on the iPad.

Sadly, the iPad has failed to deliver (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4066). Keynote for the iPad lacks a bunch of its desktop versions' features including the ability to playback video on slides and some visual effects. And there's no way to display presenter notes on the iPad while it's connected to a projector.

3. Can't connect to wireless projectors

For a device that's being sold on its connectivity credentials, the iPad is unable to connect to the latest projectors in any way other than with Apple's optional cable.

4. Dealing with Office files

At the iPad's initial announcement, Apple made a big deal of the availability of their iWork productivity suite. Now users are fuming (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=270) that they can't open Microsoft Office files and are finding all sorts of basic features missing.

Users have found that they can't create spreadsheets in Numbers and then export them for sharing with colleagues as Microsoft Excel files. Pages can import and export Word's formats but lacks support for headers and footers, footnotes and other essentials.

Keynote is causing grief with reports of poor font support, broken animations and video playback. Worse still, some edits on the iPad, when synced back to a desktop Mac, result in the loss of critical elements such as speaker's notes.

5. Flaky WiFi

One of the most active threads on Apple's iPad forums deals with weak WiFi connections (http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1363) with users reporting fluctuating signal strength on their iPad even where their notebooks are reporting full signal strength.

In some cases, connections are getting completely dropped and users need to re-enter WPA credentials to reconnect.

Some users have found that even when they have a reliable connection that performance is poor (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171518,apple-admits-ipad-cant-do-wireless-well.aspx).

One user posted results from the speedtest.net app both on his iPhone 3GS and the new iPad. The iPad download speed was rated at 1.83 megabits/sec whereas the iPhone 3GS download speed of 14.77 megabits/sec was more than eight times faster.

6. No SD slot

Many people were hoping to use the iPad as a way to backup photos while travelling. For that, they''ll need to stump up for Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. The lack of an SD slot means that you need this pair of connectors that convert the dock connector to either an SD slot or USB port.

7. No camera for video calling/Skype

This is one of the biggies. Why would Apple think that that a mobile computer and communications device wouldn't be used for video calling? Incredibly, images of the iPad's internals (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/03/ifixit.shows.ipads.component.makers/) reveal that there's a place for a camera on the top edge of the display but Apple deliberately chose to omit it.

All of this makes us think that iPad 2.0 will have a camera, making us a tad cynical about Apple's intention to get early adopters to stump up for a second iPad in the not too distant future.

8. Weighs 2.5x what a Kindle does

If the iPad is all about portability then why does it weigh so much? Amazon's Kindle comes in at 290g but the iPad weighs about 700g - more like a middleweight than a lightweight.

9. No file system access

Most handheld and portable devices appear as an external storage device when connected to a computer. That makes them handy for grabbing files from a colleague's computer. However, to copy files to the iPad's Document Manager, you'll need to use iTunes or get the files emailed to you. You can't even browse network file shares.

10. iBook Store might not have any material in AU

Remember the two or three years when there was no iTunes Store in Australia? It seems that we'll be destined for the same with the iBook Store.

Until Apple does deals with local publishers, only those with a US iTunes account will be able to buy books. On the upside, Amazon have a Kindle app and there's also Stanza for buying books locally so you can avoid being locked into another part of Apple's content ecosystem.

11. Micro-SIM

On one hand the use of the Micro-SIM might seem like another example of Apple being an early adopter a new standard. Or, perhaps, it's a way for Apple to keep their carrier partners happy by blocking customers from using the SIM cards from their 3G modems or mobile phones.

Either way, there's no way you'll be able to get a 3G capable iPad without at least buying a new SIM card from your carrier.

12. No printing

A portable computer that can be used on a local network, but can't talk to printers - what was Apple thinking? Everyone knows that there's no such thing as a paperless office and that being able to print documents is useful. It's not that it can't be done, as third parties have sprung up with printing solutions. But to not have it natively built into the iPad (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4065) is damn annoying.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171557,analysis-a-dozen-reasons-to-not-buy-an-ipad.aspx

boKnows
04-08-2010, 08:54
Mine was delivered to me on April 3rd at 11:30am and it hasn't been put down yet. Went to a couple of family events over Easter Weekend and left it on the table for anyone to play with.

The initial thought from everyone one that it was a giant-sized iPod Touch but once you play with the new Apps that are only available for the iPad you will soon realize the many possible uses due to its increased CPU power/speed.

I was pleasantly surprised that the GPS functionality worked even though all of the previews made mention that the WiFi only version didn't have GPS. I'm not sure if these early reviewers actually had one to begin with.

Anyways, if you are looking at a laptop replacement to perform light duties such as checking email or browsing blogs and forums, the iPad fits the niche perfectly.

HexHead
04-08-2010, 09:05

Trust me as the owner of a iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS

Yeah, they'll add more stuff, but I doubt the price will change much. iPod prices haven't changed much over the years.

And you're just kidding yourself if you think the phone price has come down. I bought a 1st Gen iPhone on opening night, paid $599. When they dropped the price, I got a $100 back so my cost on the phone was $499. My data plan is still $20/ mo.

The $199 iPhone (because at&t is now subsidizing the price of the phone, Apple hasn't dropped the price of the phone) and the data plan is $30/mo. In the 34 months I've had my phone, that $10 difference comes to $340. Add that to the $199 for the phone= $539 vs the $499 for my "overpriced" phone. The longer I keep mine, the cheaper it gets. :supergrin:

I may upgrade this summer when the next version comes out?

But I'm definitely getting an iPad later this month when the 3G version comes out. When they ported the Kindle app to it, that overcame my major obstacle.

MavsX
04-09-2010, 05:41
Just an article I saw....... it's from an Australian site.

Analysis: A dozen reasons to not buy an iPad

By Anthony Caruana (http://www.itnews.com.au/Author/224408,anthony-caruana.aspx)

Why you should wait for the next version.

The iPad may be the web's darling and the genesis of a new product category but its shortcomings and some ugly bugs are rearing their heads within days of the product's release.

For all its geek gadget appeal and innovation, a look at the spec sheet and Apple's support forums reveal a less than perfect device.

Here's a dozen reasons to not buy an iPad.

1. No USB

Lacking USB input, the iPad becomes a locked down device where the only peripherals you can use are ones that link through Apple's proprietary dock connector. And in case you didn't pay Apple enough for your iPad, they get a cut of every accessory as that port is licensed.

Without that USB port, you can't easily hookup a keyboard, mouse, digital camera, USB modem or any other useful add-on.

2. No presenter notes

The Mac faithful have been waiting for years for a decent portable presentation solution and they were all betting on the iPad.

Sadly, the iPad has failed to deliver (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4066). Keynote for the iPad lacks a bunch of its desktop versions' features including the ability to playback video on slides and some visual effects. And there's no way to display presenter notes on the iPad while it's connected to a projector.

3. Can't connect to wireless projectors

For a device that's being sold on its connectivity credentials, the iPad is unable to connect to the latest projectors in any way other than with Apple's optional cable.

4. Dealing with Office files

At the iPad's initial announcement, Apple made a big deal of the availability of their iWork productivity suite. Now users are fuming (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=270) that they can't open Microsoft Office files and are finding all sorts of basic features missing.

Users have found that they can't create spreadsheets in Numbers and then export them for sharing with colleagues as Microsoft Excel files. Pages can import and export Word's formats but lacks support for headers and footers, footnotes and other essentials.

Keynote is causing grief with reports of poor font support, broken animations and video playback. Worse still, some edits on the iPad, when synced back to a desktop Mac, result in the loss of critical elements such as speaker's notes.

5. Flaky WiFi

One of the most active threads on Apple's iPad forums deals with weak WiFi connections (http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1363) with users reporting fluctuating signal strength on their iPad even where their notebooks are reporting full signal strength.

In some cases, connections are getting completely dropped and users need to re-enter WPA credentials to reconnect.

Some users have found that even when they have a reliable connection that performance is poor (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171518,apple-admits-ipad-cant-do-wireless-well.aspx).

One user posted results from the speedtest.net app both on his iPhone 3GS and the new iPad. The iPad download speed was rated at 1.83 megabits/sec whereas the iPhone 3GS download speed of 14.77 megabits/sec was more than eight times faster.

6. No SD slot

Many people were hoping to use the iPad as a way to backup photos while travelling. For that, they''ll need to stump up for Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. The lack of an SD slot means that you need this pair of connectors that convert the dock connector to either an SD slot or USB port.

7. No camera for video calling/Skype

This is one of the biggies. Why would Apple think that that a mobile computer and communications device wouldn't be used for video calling? Incredibly, images of the iPad's internals (http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/04/03/ifixit.shows.ipads.component.makers/) reveal that there's a place for a camera on the top edge of the display but Apple deliberately chose to omit it.

All of this makes us think that iPad 2.0 will have a camera, making us a tad cynical about Apple's intention to get early adopters to stump up for a second iPad in the not too distant future.

8. Weighs 2.5x what a Kindle does

If the iPad is all about portability then why does it weigh so much? Amazon's Kindle comes in at 290g but the iPad weighs about 700g - more like a middleweight than a lightweight.

9. No file system access

Most handheld and portable devices appear as an external storage device when connected to a computer. That makes them handy for grabbing files from a colleague's computer. However, to copy files to the iPad's Document Manager, you'll need to use iTunes or get the files emailed to you. You can't even browse network file shares.

10. iBook Store might not have any material in AU

Remember the two or three years when there was no iTunes Store in Australia? It seems that we'll be destined for the same with the iBook Store.

Until Apple does deals with local publishers, only those with a US iTunes account will be able to buy books. On the upside, Amazon have a Kindle app and there's also Stanza for buying books locally so you can avoid being locked into another part of Apple's content ecosystem.

11. Micro-SIM

On one hand the use of the Micro-SIM might seem like another example of Apple being an early adopter a new standard. Or, perhaps, it's a way for Apple to keep their carrier partners happy by blocking customers from using the SIM cards from their 3G modems or mobile phones.

Either way, there's no way you'll be able to get a 3G capable iPad without at least buying a new SIM card from your carrier.

12. No printing

A portable computer that can be used on a local network, but can't talk to printers - what was Apple thinking? Everyone knows that there's no such thing as a paperless office and that being able to print documents is useful. It's not that it can't be done, as third parties have sprung up with printing solutions. But to not have it natively built into the iPad (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4065) is damn annoying.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171557,analysis-a-dozen-reasons-to-not-buy-an-ipad.aspx

man, those seem like some serious flaws that would piss me off if i was an iPad user. Also, reason no 13. no flash support

area727
04-09-2010, 08:50
Total BS. People are reluctant to upgrade from XP to 7 because of the hassle and problems they know they will encounter, let alone switch to an entirely different interface (Apple/Mac) that's not compatible with anything else. I've seen MS PowerPoint presentations created on Windows machines that do not display properly on Macs also running MS PowerPoint.

True that MS is probably partly to blame for that, but that's the way it is & the way it will stay for a good long while.

Windows is far too entrenched in the business and personal PC world to be overtaken anywhere near that quickly. 15 years, MAYBE. 5? Whoever told you that was on drugs.

+1

As much as I wish it would change, Windows will remain the dominant OS deployed within companies, and average/home computer users. No way this changes in the next 5 years.

Edit: As for the iPad, its probably pretty slick/fancy looking and all, but i'll never have one. Those types of devices dont appeal to me, and Apple is way over priced anyways.

Toyman
04-09-2010, 09:07

1. Microsoft kinda has responded, when it announced the HP Slate device in January, long before the iPad.

2. Apple's continued "we know what is best for you" attitude in locking down the OS, the development environment, and the apps will be their downfall.

3. The iPad is not a personal computer, it's a personal media device. It so limited in what you can do on it. Yes, what it does do it does extremely well and I enjoy the one I have. But as soon as the HP Slate comes out I'm gonna be all over that.

4. The iPhone/iPad OS won't ever be as flexible as a standard OS because of one reason: The App Store. Apple is making 100's of millions of dollars a month on selling apps. That is their main goal, forcing you to buy all your stuff for the device through them. Not only that, but they want to limit which apps can be in the app store.

Any time a company completely focuses on just making money, they loose track of what users want and need, and they start loosing ground. This is the exact reason Apple is behind in market share on the desktop, they made decisions in the past to lock out innovation and such. (no hardware clones, charging developers to make drivers for hardware, etc).

DS12
04-09-2010, 11:06
ipad - lol.

I played with one. It is LITERALLY a big iTouch.

no thanks.

durian00
04-09-2010, 14:42
iPad will get the iPhone 4.0 software in the fall.

JMag
04-09-2010, 20:14
"After spending hours and hours with it, I believe this beautiful new touch-screen device from Apple has the potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop," Walt Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal's reviewer writes. "It could even help, eventually, to propel the finger-driven, multitouch user interface ahead of the mouse-driven interface that has prevailed for decades."

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/

Drjones
04-11-2010, 17:28
I'm going to pimp-slap the next person I hear call the iPad anything other than "feather-light."

Anyone who calls it anything resembling "heavy" is a limp-wristed moron who has never exercised a day in their life. :upeyes:

Drjones
04-11-2010, 17:51
As far as the HP Slate goes, several things:

1) It's not available until the fall, while the iPad is NOW.

2) Windows 7 is definitely touch friendly, but was never intended as a fully touch-operable OS. The iPhone OS that the phone & pad run were built from the ground up to be manipulated with our hands.

3) So far, nobody - NOBODY - has developed a device that is as good as or better than the iPhone/iPad. Nobody. Many, many have tried, and few have come close, but that's all. I highly doubt the HP Slate will come close (let alone be better than iPhone/iPad) but it remains to be seen...

CitizenOfDreams
04-11-2010, 18:04
I can't wait for finger-poking interface to fade into obscurity just like the light pen did.

Drjones
04-11-2010, 18:15
I can't wait for finger-poking interface to fade into obscurity just like the light pen did.

You WANT to be stuck using a mouse & keyboard?? Did you ever see "District 9" or Minority Report?? THAT is how I want my computer to be! Holographic, baby!

CitizenOfDreams
04-11-2010, 18:26
You WANT to be stuck using a mouse & keyboard??

I didn't say that.

Did you ever see "District 9" or Minority Report?? THAT is how I want my computer to be! Holographic, baby!

Two words: tactile feedback. Unless, of course, they learn to make "hard light holograms" like in Red Dwarf.