Fun plinker [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fun plinker

Murgatroy
04-06-2010, 19:20
I am looking for a fun, cheap 'tacticool' .22LR rifle.

I have a handful of .22LR rifles, from a Iver Johnson Lil' Champ my father bought for me 30 years ago that I passed to my daughter, a Mossberg .22 bolt action and even my wife's Remington Nylon 66.

However, I want a fun plinker for me. Something I can take to the range blow 500 rounds through and not cry when I have to restock my ammo supply.

I am right now torn between the S&W MP 15-22, the GSG-5 or the Umarex Colt M4.

The GSG-5 looks like a lot of fun, and I have a friend that has one, and he loves it, but right now, after the 'suppressor' recall, they are nearly impossible to find at any local shops.

The S&W I have held and fired. I liked it, and it felt good, it is also plentiful around here going for the cheapest of the three. It is my current frontrunner.

The newcomer to the list is the Umarex Colt M4. It comes with a carry handle, which for some reason I am a sucker for. The only point it is winning out in over the S&W is the fact that it is a nearly identical repro of an AR, complete with rear assist (is it just cosmetic?) and it looks like the handguard is replaceable.

So that is it in a nutshell. I have tried finding reviews of the Umarex, but I can't find anything concrete. Info on the S&W is abundant. I may not have searched deep enough here, but I can't find much on the Umarex here either.

Any opinions or insight would be welcome.

BuckeyeBlast
04-06-2010, 19:47
There is no better tacticool plinker than the S&W M&P 15-22. The Colt has had numerous problems and even had a seller on gunbroker who mounted a toilet plunger head on the birdcage and was selling them as plungers. He had so many returns on them and complained of them as being junk, so he said he could no longer sell them as guns but instead sold them as toilet plungers.
As far as the garb on the Colt - fake.
The closest in operation to a real AR is the S&W. Mag release works, charging handle works, it breaks down like an AR too. Spend more time looking at the Colt and you'll find more you don't like. Spend more time looking at the Smith and you'll find more to love. Speaking from experience. I have a Colt LE6920 .223 AR and was ready to buy the Colt 22 until I started looking into it deeper. If you want something that's the closest to an AR, it's not the Colt 22 but the S&W.

BuckeyeBlast
04-06-2010, 19:53
BTW - for $30 you can buy a carry handle and put it on the S&W. - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=163736841 :)

tinman517
04-06-2010, 21:18
Myself, I finally pulled the trigger on the S&W M&P 15-22. Cannot wait to get my hands on it next week.

TECH51
04-06-2010, 22:01
My 10 yr old loves his Ruger Tactical 10/22 VLEH.

Murgatroy
04-07-2010, 05:08
There is no better tacticool plinker than the S&W M&P 15-22. The Colt has had numerous problems and even had a seller on gunbroker who mounted a toilet plunger head on the birdcage and was selling them as plungers. He had so many returns on them and complained of them as being junk, so he said he could no longer sell them as guns but instead sold them as toilet plungers.
As far as the garb on the Colt - fake.
The closest in operation to a real AR is the S&W. Mag release works, charging handle works, it breaks down like an AR too. Spend more time looking at the Colt and you'll find more you don't like. Spend more time looking at the Smith and you'll find more to love. Speaking from experience. I have a Colt LE6920 .223 AR and was ready to buy the Colt 22 until I started looking into it deeper. If you want something that's the closest to an AR, it's not the Colt 22 but the S&W.

That was my plan before I saw the Umarex.

It still is.

I have found a few threads on the Umarex while searching, and it doesn't look good.

Twisted Steel
04-07-2010, 05:45
I don't have one yet, but I suspect that SW 15-22 will fit the bill quite nicely.

M2 Carbine
04-07-2010, 06:26
I have the GSG-5, SIG 522 and S&W 15-22.

My suggestion would be the S&W.
Mine paid for itself in a couple months in .223 ammo.

cptslick
04-07-2010, 07:45
S&W 15-22 for the win. I have a cheap Truglo sight and it works fine. The target is 75ft out.

mixflip
04-07-2010, 11:01
Here is my version of tacticool 22.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/SPst_story24D_544-Copy-1.jpg

wjv
04-07-2010, 11:12
Don't consider the S&W MP 15-22 "cheap". . .

I like my Feather AT22. . But they aren't cheap anymore either :sad:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/AT-22.jpg

You could get a Henry. . They were tactic-cool in 1894!!!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/HenryH001.jpg

GSSF17
04-07-2010, 18:49
S&W 15-22 for the win. I have a cheap Truglo sight and it works fine. The target is 75ft out.

Got one, and loved it so much, I bought another one!!!!

Can't go wrong.