Are different brand bullets interchangeable in the "recipe books"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are different brand bullets interchangeable in the "recipe books"?

JDinNC
04-06-2010, 20:08
Say brand X is a 45acp .451 230 gr. FMJ and another brand is the same. Is it necessary to start at low and work up again?

PCJim
04-06-2010, 21:29
Your primary concern is with pressure, which can be changed by any number of differences between projectiles. A longer bullet seated at the same COL as a shorter one would result in less case volume and greater pressure. A projectile having a greater bearing surface than another means more resistance to move the projectile and thus greater pressure.

The politically correct answer is, yes - you should drop back and rework your loads. I'm sure many reloaders don't though. Those who load mid-level charges or take note of projectile differences as stated above could likely make a decision on whether any differences were significant enough to make adjustments.

If you are a beginner reloader, drop back.

Maine1
04-07-2010, 01:56
drop back, its the only safe way to do so.

Some bullets- the XTP in particular- have larger bearing surfaces than others, thus create greater pressures with a given powder charge.

I am usually using an 80% power load or so for practice ammo, so if i swap from say Berry's plated to Ranier plated 230 gr RN, i do not have to worry as much. I have a little wiggle room.

dbarry
04-07-2010, 04:53
ditto on the responses. one KB can ruin your whole day.

fredj338
04-07-2010, 12:02
I'll be the practical contrarian here. If your load is middle of the road, any slight change in the bullet shape is not likely to cause problems (ie, Rem. 230grRNFMJ vs Win, etc). I do not like starting load data, it rarely works in most semiautos, so I always start w/ average middle data. It gives a reliable functioning load & can be worked up or down for accuracy or to achieve a specific vel level.