Cut off the stock on a shot gun - best way to smooth out the recoil pad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cut off the stock on a shot gun - best way to smooth out the recoil pad?

Z71bill
04-06-2010, 20:11
I cut the stock down on my wife's 20 gauge shot gun - wanted to decrease the LOP and add a softer recoil pad - which is thicker than the stock pad --

The recoil pad / butt plate was then too large.

I used 100 grit sandpaper on the rubber butt plate to get it close - then switched over to 150 grit - then 300 wet or dry - 400 wet or dry

All is well except the finish looks a little ruff -

I even tried 1,000 & 1,200 grit wet and it still looks ruff.

The rubber gets sort of sticky - like a gummy bear.

Any advise?

I only have 1/32 of an inch left to sand before I am even with the stock - I may just call it a day - close enough.

MJB
04-07-2010, 17:05
Take it to a gunsmith and have it done right. When I bought my Stevens 311 I had the shops gunsmith cut the end of the stock and put on a recoil pad to keep the LOP the same as stock. You would swear it came from the factory that way and IIRC it was not expensive at all.

GLShooter
04-07-2010, 17:46
I cut the stock down on my wife's 20 gauge shot gun - wanted to decrease the LOP and add a softer recoil pad - which is thicker than the stock pad --

The recoil pad / butt plate was then too large.

I used 100 grit sandpaper on the rubber butt plate to get it close - then switched over to 150 grit - then 300 wet or dry - 400 wet or dry

All is well except the finish looks a little ruff -

I even tried 1,000 & 1,200 grit wet and it still looks ruff.

The rubber gets sort of sticky - like a gummy bear.

Any advise?

I only have 1/32 of an inch left to sand before I am even with the stock - I may just call it a day - close enough.

The traditional way is to tape the stock wood up and use a belt sander on the pad.

Greg