Plated HP bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plated HP bullets

Maine1
04-07-2010, 01:52
I have some plated Hollow points for the 10mm..for practice ammo.
I got to thinking...do they expect these things to expand, or is the HP there for another purpose, like snagging bowling pins? Anybody shot any game with one? i have no doubt they would put a hurtin' on whatever was hit, being lead delivered at speed and all, but i am also curious as to what the point was in there manufacture.

dudel
04-07-2010, 02:30
You'll get more expansion than wiith RN or FN; but not as much as a purpose built HP such as Gold Dots, XTPs, etc. They can be used in some cases to achieve a desired COL. Not a big fan of plated HPs myself (same with lead HP). If I want a good HP, I use one of the purpose built ones. I suppose, in a pinch, they are better than nothing.

Maine1
04-07-2010, 05:07
yeah, thats about what i think of 'em. I got the Hp as its all that was in stock...i was just wondering why they bothered, as they are not a SD bullet, so why not make them a FP or RN? I 'd think that you might get better actual expansion with a lead HP.

ron59
04-07-2010, 05:58
The "shape" is supposed to make them more accurate. I think there's less weight in the front, or something like that.

Many competition shooters will shoot these HPs (not defensive rounds) for greater accuracy.

In fact, if you look around for "match bullets", they will usually be hollow point.
Sierra makes what is considered to be some of the best match bullets around, and they are hollow point.

When they are designed, NO consideration is given to expansion, it's all done in the name of accuracy.

fredj338
04-07-2010, 12:44
If you are talking Berry's or Ranier, I find the expansion in wetpack spotty. Driven too fast, the frag, too slow, they fail to expand. Way to hit & miss for me to use for anything other than paper. All though if it's all I had in a SHTF scenario, so be it.

dudel
04-07-2010, 17:38
The "shape" is supposed to make them more accurate. I think there's less weight in the front, or something like that.

Many competition shooters will shoot these HPs (not defensive rounds) for greater accuracy.

In fact, if you look around for "match bullets", they will usually be hollow point.
Sierra makes what is considered to be some of the best match bullets around, and they are hollow point.

When they are designed, NO consideration is given to expansion, it's all done in the name of accuracy.

Yes; but those are not plated projectiles. They have a tiny, almost a pinhole of a hollowpoint. They are the rifle equivalent of a wadcutter. Those rounds make a clean paper hole in the target. Much easier to score a clean hole than a ragged one.

OP did not appear to be referring to this type of projectile.

deadhawg
04-09-2010, 00:59
I can only relate my own experiance firing 9mm Rainier 124 gr plated bullets into water jugs - zero expansion. These were loaded, as Rainier recomends, using lead bullet data, but near the top of lead bullet data. No chronograph, so I don't know the actual velocity. Plenty accurate, great for practice, but I will stick with Gold Dots or HST's for carry. And I do fire enough of the "good" ammo to be sure they function reliably in my gun.

Cujo17
04-14-2010, 11:24
Just my experience, Berry's 124 hp are very accurate and reliable out of my gen4 G17. 1 ragged hole at 10 yards. Used them in a local combat match last night and they functioned perfectly. I will caution that I have had a .01 variance in bullet length from different batches of Berry's and I adjust OAL accordingly.