Krav Maga Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga Question

Stepaway
04-07-2010, 06:15
I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for a Krav Maga class. I'm 58 and out of shape so it would mean a real shift in mindset and behavior for me. My question concerns how realistic some of their training is. For example, on the local website their video shows unarmed men and women taking guns away from bad guys, etc.

I understand the need for promotion but that just seems silly/dangerous to me. Aside from that, how do you view the bulk of their training - is it realistic to use on the street ?

Thank you for the time you spend answering these questions. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Mas Ayoob
04-07-2010, 07:45
As noted in the previous Krav Maga thread, it's a strong martial art but any such art is only as good as the given instructor.

I don't think it's ever too late to learn practical self-defense.

So long as it is practiced with dummy guns, handgun disarming is safe to learn in the training environment. In the real world, it is indeed extremely dangerous to attempt to take a loaded gun from the hand of a violent person. However, if that violent person is about to shoot you or a loved one, it is more dangerous NOT to know how to stop him from doing so.

best wishes,
Mas