CCW in Alabama? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Alabama?

Monkeyleg
04-07-2010, 11:05
My wife and I will be moving to Alabama from Wisconsin in about three weeks (finally!).

I just want to make sure I get the details about carrying straight, so any replies are much appreciated.

No carry in government buildings, right? FL non-resident permit good until I'm there for 90 days, correct? Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is okay in Morgan and Madison county (I checked with the sheriffs departments) but what about the rest of the state?

Anything I should be warned about?

Thanks much for any replies.

BamaBud
04-07-2010, 11:16
The best source of info I have seen is the NRA ILA:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ALSL.pdf

Remember, the sheriff that issues your Ala permit can put restrictions on it that are then valid statewide. So, if your permit says no carry where alcohol is served, that applies everywhere in the state.

Luckily my permit issuer (Jefferson County) adds no other restrictions besides state law.

The state says no carry near a demonstration, so we don't have many open carry events here (maybe we should, but discretion is the better part of valor).

Good Luck.

Cobra6
04-07-2010, 20:56
Here is a link to the whole document referenced on the NRA site.
http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/Alabama_Weapon_Law.pdf

I looked on my local web page for pistol permits, and Wisconsin is not a reciprocal state with Alabama.
http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/sheriff/pistol.html

Also, you must be a resident here for 6 months before you can apply for a permit.
http://www.co.madison.al.us/services/sheriff/faq.html

Monkeyleg
04-08-2010, 12:10
Wisconsin doesn't have reciprocity with AL because Wisconsin and Illinois are the only states to completely prohibit concealed carry.

So it's six months, not 90 days? I'll be renewing my FL permit about the same time I'll be getting my AL permit.

The deputy at the Morgan county sheriffs department said that carry where alcohol is served is not prohibited. The way he was talking, it sounded as though that included bars. I don't drink, so that's no biggie, but the only states I know where you can carry in a bar are Utah and Idaho.

BamaAla
04-08-2010, 14:00

BamaBud
04-08-2010, 15:03
The deputy at the Morgan county sheriffs department said that carry where alcohol is served is not prohibited. The way he was talking, it sounded as though that included bars. I don't drink, so that's no biggie, but the only states I know where you can carry in a bar are Utah and Idaho.

Yeah, no state prohibition against carrying in bars. BUT some sheriffs do add that prohibition to the permits they issue.

Actually, state law only says you cannot be "a habitual drunkard." So, you can also drink when carrying, although I don't think that's a good idea generally. One glass of wine with dinner would seem reasonable.

Monkeyleg
04-08-2010, 20:52
Thanks for the hospitality, BamaAla. We'll be moving to the southwestern part of Decatur. Really looking forward to it.

I don't drink, but my wife will have a glass of wine or mixed drink if we go out. Nice to know that I can carry in clubs as well as restaurants.

BamaAla
04-09-2010, 20:01

Brad_G
04-10-2010, 08:17
I'm up on the mountain, so not too far from where you'll be living. We will have to go shoot sometime when you get settled in.

Alabama lacks in a lot of areas, but we do have pretty good gun laws.

Alabama lacks??? Oh my Bamabud.........I'm guessing that you haven't lived very many other places..........then again, I could be wrong. :whistling:

I just know that for the last ten years I've live all over the world and country, and I just can't find anywhere that has what Alabama has to offer. But again, opinions........you know what they're like. :wow::wow:

Monkey, come on over to Alabama Shooters Association (link in my sig), join up, and ask a few questions. There's usually about 10-15 people from Alabama on there daily, so you may find some others close by.

BamaAla
04-10-2010, 09:32

Monkeyleg
04-10-2010, 17:00
Wow. Sounds like it's not much different than Milwaukee. ;)

The Huntsville/Decatur area seems really nice to us. It has pretty much everything we need, and we're really excited about the move.

I've done jobs in Birmingham, enough to know that there are places in the city where you don't go. It's that way in Milwaukee, though. There's places in Milwaukee I wouldn't go unless I was in an armored vehicle.

As for the politics, the pols up here learned at the knees of the masters in Chicago. I doubt there's any corrupt techniques being used in AL that aren't old hat here. We had a Milwaukee city councilman run for re-election from his jail cell (jailed for campaign "irregularities"). IIRC, he won.

ChrisJn
04-11-2010, 14:10
My wife and I will be moving to Alabama from Wisconsin in about three weeks (finally!).

I just want to make sure I get the details about carrying straight, so any replies are much appreciated.

No carry in government buildings, right? FL non-resident permit good until I'm there for 90 days, correct? Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is okay in Morgan and Madison county (I checked with the sheriffs departments) but what about the rest of the state?

Anything I should be warned about?

Thanks much for any replies.

You might want to read this, taken from the bottom of this link:
http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

Will Alabama honor a non-resident concealed handgun license in addition to honoring the concealed handgun licenses issued to a resident of one of the states that recognizes and honors Alabama concealed handgun licenses?

Alabama issues concealed handgun licenses only to residents of Alabama, through the Sheriff of their county of residence.

Some states, with whom we have reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses, issue handgun licenses not only to residents of their state but also issue "non-resident" concealed handgun licenses to residents of other states.

At the present time, Act 2001-494 does not on its face specifically address the issue of Alabama’s recognition of a non-resident handgun license issued by a state with which Alabama has reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses. Nor is there a formal Attorney General's Opinion, or Alabama case law on this subject. If an Alabama law enforcement agency requests and receives an official Attorney General's Opinion that opinion will be available to the public on our web site under the menu item titled "AG Opinions."

Until the Legislature, or a Court of competent jurisdiction, or an "official" Attorney General's Opinion addresses this question, our office's "unofficial opinion" is that, at this time, Alabama will honor non-resident concealed handgun licenses from a state which recognizes handgun licenses issued to Alabama residents. Since this is a new area of law and subject to change, we do urge caution. It is suggested that persons whose state of residence does not recognize Alabama concealed handgun licenses periodically check our web site and the web site of the state that issues their non-resident concealed handgun license, as well as being aware of news stories and court cases on the subject.

Kingfisher
04-14-2010, 21:16
Wow. Sounds like it's not much different than Milwaukee. ;)

The Huntsville/Decatur area seems really nice to us. It has pretty much everything we need, and we're really excited about the move.

I've done jobs in Birmingham, enough to know that there are places in the city where you don't go. It's that way in Milwaukee, though. There's places in Milwaukee I wouldn't go unless I was in an armored vehicle.

As for the politics, the pols up here learned at the knees of the masters in Chicago. I doubt there's any corrupt techniques being used in AL that aren't old hat here. We had a Milwaukee city councilman run for re-election from his jail cell (jailed for campaign "irregularities"). IIRC, he won.

The main difference between Wisconsin and Alabama is the smallmouth fishing is better in Alabama. :supergrin:

If you like to fish for the smallies Pickwick and Wilson are the Smallmouth capital of the South.

Good luck to you.

Monkeyleg
04-14-2010, 21:35
It may sound sacrilegious, but I had enough of fishing when I was a young teen. My older brothers fished, and I cleaned their fish. ;)

It's odd that AL law is so vague on the issue. Sheriff's deputies in Madison and Morgan county told me I'd be good to go with a FL non-resident permit, though. It's not as though I plan on getting made.

elrod
04-15-2010, 10:52
Whenever you figure Alabama's carry laws out, please let me know! I have been an elected Alabama Constable for a coupla years and still don't know. Most people (including police) agree that OC is legal, but I wouldn't try it without authority. That is one reason I carry a badge. CCW's are easy to get from most County Sheriffs and are money (~$20) well invested!

cowboywannabe
04-18-2010, 02:27
regarding the no caryy in a bar restiction, that is not a state prohibition, its is a local one in some counties.

in my county i spoke with the Sheriff about my wife's allergy to alcohol (she cant drink it) and her meeting up with her Avon buyers at local resturants....anyway he lifted the restiction and issued her a NON Restricted permit. the standard permits have restrictions on them but hers has NON Restricted printed across the top. i always got a NON Restricted permit anyway because im L.E.O. and he figures if i pay for one to support my local S.O. when i can carry anyway under LEOSA that i might be a good guy after all.

anway it can be done. if your Sheriff issues (local) restricted permits, see if you can petition him to lift the local restrictions on it.

Rohniss
04-19-2010, 19:53
20 Dollars? For a Permit? In Alabama?

Dang dude, Jefferson County is 7.50... 10 if you want lamination, and generally issues only non-restricted (unless there's a reason)...

Then again if we went to 20 dollar permit maybe I can get my merit raises back... 20 bucks sounds good now that I think about it...

Cobra6
04-21-2010, 13:56
20 Dollars? For a Permit? In Alabama?

Dang dude, Jefferson County is 7.50... 10 if you want lamination, and generally issues only non-restricted (unless there's a reason)...

Yep - they are $20 in Madison County and most places up here - they used to be $10, but since they went to the plastic card, they are $20. I just renewed mine last week.

cowboywannabe
04-21-2010, 23:25
its $20.00 in Chambers County for a paper permit good for only one year.

BamaAla
04-22-2010, 14:45
Yep - they are $20 in Madison County and most places up here - they used to be $10, but since they went to the plastic card, they are $20. I just renewed mine last week.

Same in Morgan. Its nice that we get a picture ID card instead of those paper things though.

DesertEagle.45
04-23-2010, 14:58

I'm in Huntsville and I just renewed mine for $10.

Cobra6
04-23-2010, 21:58
I'm in Huntsville and I just renewed mine for $10.

You still have the paper card with no picture

DesertEagle.45
04-24-2010, 07:28
Do they not offer the paper to new licensee?

Cobra6
04-24-2010, 10:36
Do they not offer the paper to new licensee?

I don't know - since I am not a new permit holder - I have had the picture one for a while -
The paper one is not much good out of state - kind of like the old drivers license with no picture on it.

Kingfisher
04-24-2010, 18:45
Walker Co. is 16.00 laminated paper permit. Who (what county) has the plastic license. I would like to see a pic of that one to see if I can get my county to switch.

Thanks

Straightpipe
04-24-2010, 19:07
Tuscaloosa County has plastic similar to a drivers license with picture

BamaTrooper
04-28-2010, 21:02
Whenever you figure Alabama's carry laws out, please let me know! I have been an elected Alabama Constable for a coupla years and still don't know. Most people (including police) agree that OC is legal, but I wouldn't try it without authority. That is one reason I carry a badge. CCW's are easy to get from most County Sheriffs and are money (~$20) well invested!

Check Title 13 for your answers. No carry on other peoples property w/o permission. If you carry openly and decide to get in your car, it is now concealed.

Rohniss
04-29-2010, 20:32
Check Title 13 for your answers. No carry on other peoples property w/o permission. If you carry openly and decide to get in your car, it is now concealed.

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Here's a link for them...

Title(s) 13A and 32

Chapter 11, Article 3 is gonna be most of your gun stuff...

Title 32, everyone should be aware of if you drive.

BamaTrooper
04-30-2010, 07:39
http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Here's a link for them...

Title(s) 13A and 32

Chapter 11, Article 3 is gonna be most of your gun stuff...

Title 32, everyone should be aware of if you drive.

Whaaaaatttttttttttttttttt? Know the rules? GET OUT!

Rohniss
04-30-2010, 12:34
Whaaaaatttttttttttttttttt? Know the rules? GET OUT!

I'm trying to help you out here I'm sure you get the same tired old excuses I do... and even though you got e-cite now carpal tunnel can be a nasty thing...

BamaTrooper
04-30-2010, 13:57
I'm trying to help you out here I'm sure you get the same tired old excuses I do... and even though you got e-cite now carpal tunnel can be a nasty thing...

You mean like- Where does it say you can't cross the median on the interstate or back up on the interstate?

Rohniss
04-30-2010, 15:47
You mean like- Where does it say you can't cross the median on the interstate or back up on the interstate?

Well I get them after yall are done with them, then get to listen to how the stop was illegal because you weren't wearing your hat...

Mine are more like... I demand to use my Phone Call immediately !!

But I love Troopers, yall do your own Draegers...

Oh god, its Crawfish Boil Weekend... I hope you work elsewhere than the Jefferson Co. Area... my weekend is already shot.

BamaTrooper
05-02-2010, 07:47
... I hope you work elsewhere than the Jefferson Co. Area... my weekend is already shot.

I am in Mobile so we get Mardis Gras, Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo, Senior Bowl, GMAC Bowl and some other fun stuff.

Monkeyleg
05-20-2010, 15:52
Just an update. My wife and I went to the courthouse to register our vehicles and get drivers licenses. Afterwards I went to the sheriffs department. It took all of 15 minutes to get my permit. It took less time to get my concealed weapons permit than it did to register my car.

I love this state! There's a TV campaign ad running with the candidate holding a Winchester lever-action, it takes 15 minutes to get a carry permit, and I heard a radio ad for a gun store in which a woman with a gun either shoots or scares away an intruder.

DesertEagle.45
05-20-2010, 18:37
Just an update. My wife and I went to the courthouse to register our vehicles and get drivers licenses. Afterwards I went to the sheriffs department. It took all of 15 minutes to get my permit. It took less time to get my concealed weapons permit than it did to register my car.

I love this state! There's a TV campaign ad running with the candidate holding a Winchester lever-action, it takes 15 minutes to get a carry permit, and I heard a radio ad for a gun store in which a woman with a gun either shoots or scares away an intruder.

Glad to hear it. Morgan county is fast. You're not so lucky if you live in Madison County. Mine took 3 months to get.

Monkeyleg
05-26-2010, 16:04
I had to go down to the courthouse today to register my motorcycle, which was my fifth trip down there in a week, and the fifth time encountering the same three deputies who work the metal scanner.

We got to talking about motorcycles, riding and helmet laws, and then the conversation turned to CCW permits and guns. They all had permits and talked about carrying in other states (with and without permits). We got to talking about the UN weapons ban, ammunition stockpiling and a bunch of other gun-related stuff.

That was really unusual for me. LEO's in Milwaukee would never engage in conversation on the job, and certainly not about guns or CCW.

I'm liking this place even more.