Knoxx stock anybody have one and how do you like it. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knoxx stock anybody have one and how do you like it.

conpro
04-07-2010, 17:59
Knoxx stock anybody have one and how do you like it.

captcurly
04-07-2010, 18:13
I have a Mossy 590 M&P and last year purchased a Knoxx stock through Blackhawk. It is the standard recoil reducing stock and I love it. The price was around $100. and it well worth it. I have a bad right shoulder and shooting a 12ga was a painful event before the Knoxx. I have shot slugs in the prone position with the Knox stock with no problem. The only thing thay you must know is this. There is about 1 1/2 travel in the stock so be careful that your thumg does not hit your cheek or eye. The stock comes with a warning about this travel. Again I love the stock and for me it was well worth the price. If you purchase a Knoxx you will be hooked on it.

conpro
04-07-2010, 19:44
Cool sounds good. I am going to order one tonight.

MTPD
04-08-2010, 07:10
I put the standard K stock (looks like a regular stock) on my 870 and no more neck problems from recoil. It works!

bfg1971
04-08-2010, 07:24
If you happen to have a Mossberg 590 DA it will not fit your shotgun. I finally managed to scrape up enough spare cash to buy the stock and then had to return it. On the plus side Blackhawk customer service was as helpful as they could be. They even agreed that the packaging should be changed to reflect the incompatibility with the 590 DA.

BudMan5
04-08-2010, 15:49
I use it on an 870 tactical and firing 00 buck or a slkug feels the sanme as shooting #9 shot.

There is substantial travel backwards when firing. When using the shortest butt length because of body armor, it is not fun to see your thumb coming at you.

But boy oh boy can you rip seven off quickly!

aippi
04-08-2010, 19:00
Are you asking about the SpecOps or Compstock? You are getting responses from users of both stocks as there is no way your thumb is an issue with the SpecOps as it around the pistol grip. It can be an issue on the Compstock so it is recommend by Knoxx that you lay your thumb off to the right. I don't need to do this with the Compstock as I keep my cheek back near the the rear of the stock and raise the stock to my line of sight and not lay my face down on it.

Either stock does what it is designed to do if shot correctly. Keeping the arm you have on the forend very loose is the key. If you grab the forend and lock that arm you fight the stock from camming back and you get the recoil and muzzel rise.

It can also be difficult when used with a bead sight barrel but this can be fixed simply by raising the weapon up to your line of sight with your cheek back towards the recoil pad and not laying your face down on the stock. It may be higher in the pocket of your shoulder but since it eats the recoil, this is not an issue. This may not work for everyone but sure does for me. Each shooter is going to modify the above procedure to find the best way to shoot this stock and get the max from it's recoil reducing ability.

dc2integra
04-08-2010, 19:27
yea ive been looking to purchase one were did you find it for 100 dollars the cheapest ive found was 130

conpro
04-09-2010, 22:00
Yes i am talking about the spec opps

edlacy
04-10-2010, 11:51
Check this out on e-bay. It's about what I paid for mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Knoxx-Compstock-Shotgun-Stock-Winchester-12-Ga-and-20_W0QQitemZ130380297056QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5b457360

yea ive been looking to purchase one were did you find it for 100 dollars the cheapest ive found was 130

hongster
04-10-2010, 23:49
With a bead sight, a good cheek eld can become an issue because the stock rides to high. When I shoot buckshots its not a big deal but because I just look over the bead but with slugs its a different story. I just pull the stock out further to line up with bead when I shoot slugs. By pulling the sock out further actually lowers the angle of the stock.

cdog533
04-11-2010, 03:51
Does it reduce the length of pull?

I've got a 590A1 and the stock length is stupid long....

BoxerDog25
04-11-2010, 10:12
Does anyone have any Experience with the Mesa tactical stocks? Any comparisons between the knox and the mesa?

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55

conpro
04-11-2010, 15:58
I did get one put on and love it. I highly recomend the knoxx stock.

PUNISHER56
04-12-2010, 22:15
Got an original Knoxx on my 18" Mossberg, nothing can compare
to how it manages recoil.

swinokur
04-13-2010, 08:59
Knoxx stock anybody have one and how do you like it.

I put one on my 870 before I had even fired it for the first time. I went to the range and fired about 30 slugs out of it and wasn't bothered by the recoil at all. I am 6'1" 230 lbs but i don't think that's a big issue.But I have nothing to compare it to since I didn't fire the 870 with the regular stock. i think i could fire 50 slugs and not be sore.

I like mine for sure..

Jager1
04-14-2010, 13:19
Have one on a Mossberg 500 Breacher. Absolutely phenomenal.

Like it so much I purchased a second Specops for a second 870 Wingmaster that I haven't even located or purchased yet so that when I do, I'll have it ready to install!

Kona2004
04-15-2010, 08:39
Does it reduce the length of pull?

I've got a 590A1 and the stock length is stupid long....
I also have the 590A1 and just received my Knoxx today. Can't wait to throw it on and will let you know how much of an improvement it makes.

nolt
04-15-2010, 10:15
they are soft and cushy. i bought one to try to encourage my wife to shoot the shotty.

i prefer the traditional type hogue synthetic stock personally.

inexperienced shooters may actually have some issues with inadvertently racking the action fully or partially if they arent careful because the gun moves a bit more than with a traditional shock (hey that energy has to go somewhere) but it can certainly be gotten used to.

AKJD
04-15-2010, 12:56
I've used the spec ops version and don't care for them but I've never had an issue managing recoil from shotguns. Proper grip and stance goes a long ways in reducing felt recoil. How the buttstock is placed in the shoulder pocket makes a huge difference. One significant problem we noticed was that it made it more difficult for some to manipulate the 870 safety during winter time with gloves on because of the fit at the rear of the receiver. I also don't care for pistol grip stocks on shotguns but again thats just my personal preference. Others seem to like them, just not my thing.

dc2integra
04-15-2010, 19:54
^^^yeah try managing recoil after youve shot about 20 slugs.its a great stock no doubt about it best mod you can do for your shotgun

Alaskapopo
04-15-2010, 20:14
The safety issue can be fixed by installing a Hans Vang big head safety. The Knoxx stock is great. I like pistol gripped stocks on rifles and shotguns. I have one on my 14 inch 870 and it helps quite a bit with recoil. Stance and grip can only help so far with recoil. The Knoxx takes up the slack. Also if you find yourself using a a proper stance and grip in a gun fight your not using cover effectively and not moving.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/Vangdesc.jpg

cangler
04-15-2010, 20:39
The safety issue can be fixed by installing a Hans Vang big head safety. The Knoxx stock is great. I like pistol gripped stocks on rifles and shotguns. I have one on my 14 inch 870 and it helps quite a bit with recoil. Stance and grip can only help so far with recoil. The Knoxx takes up the slack. Also if you find yourself using a a proper stance and grip in a gun fight your not using cover effectively and not moving.
Pat

Oh man, I want an 14" barrel, how the world could I obtain one? I don't even have a shotty yet, but I was plan on getting a 18.5" 870 express tactical. Those shorter barrels are more appealing IMO. I was thinking there was some sort of limit though, we can't go shorter than 18", at least in Texas, but there may be a way around that, isn't there?

Alaskapopo
04-15-2010, 20:59
Oh man, I want an 14" barrel, how the world could I obtain one? I don't even have a shotty yet, but I was plan on getting a 18.5" 870 express tactical. Those shorter barrels are more appealing IMO. I was thinking there was some sort of limit though, we can't go shorter than 18", at least in Texas, but there may be a way around that, isn't there?

There is a federal law limiting your shotguns barrel to 18 inches. My gun is a NFA tax stamped Short Barrel Shotgun. You can do the same thing in Texas I believe. You just need to get the paper work done.
Pat

dc2integra
04-15-2010, 21:29
nice shotgun by the way ^^^

AKJD
04-15-2010, 22:01
^^^yeah try managing recoil after youve shot about 20 slugs.its a great stock no doubt about it best mod you can do for your shotgun

I've been through several training sessions and classes where I have shot many more than 20 slugs. Not a problem but thanks for your concern.

JASV.17
04-16-2010, 06:40
I love it!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/postanon/IMG_1233.jpg

AKJD
04-16-2010, 19:01
Pat

I like to keep my shotguns close to stock, just my preference. I don't think I'll be shooting that many rounds in a fight that I have to worry about a cumulative effect of recoil. It's not like I have a case of slugs in my pocket. I've got 4 in the gun and 6 in the sidesaddle. I've shot the shotgun from cover, moving, alternate shooting positions including prone during training and I don't have a problem with the original or a shortened stock. If you like or need the Knoxx Stock, good for you, does that mean everyone has too? I prefer technique over being a gear queer. I guess since I chose not to have a knoxx stock on my gun I'll just have to stop shooting since it obvioulsy can't be done correctly without one..

Since proper grip and stance go out the window in a fight I am guessing none of the fundamentals of marksmanship matter once the rounds start flying. Did you read that on the internet or did you learn that from your last gunfight. If you didn't use a proper grip, what grip did you use? So if I'm in a gunfight with my pistol, I shouldn't be concerned with getting a grip high up on the backstrap? Is weak hand placement no longer important? Does the placement of my trigger finger no longer matter? If the fundamentals are no longer important, why do we teach them as the first building block of shooting. Should I just abandon grip and grasp the gun in a haphazard fashion and hope it works. How did you hit your intended target? To me proper stance doesn't necessarily mean standing still with feet planted, it means your body is in the best position you can be in for the situation, aggressive, balanced as best as you can, proper movement. Do you not adjust your stance or shooting position the best you can when shooting around cover? When moving do you just run with abandon or do you use proper techniques while maintaining a firing grip on the gun. Do front sight focus and trigger press go away also. I've never used a shotgun in a gunfight so I'm waiting to learn.

Alaskapopo
04-17-2010, 04:41
I like to keep my shotguns close to stock, just my preference. I don't think I'll be shooting that many rounds in a fight that I have to worry about a cumulative effect of recoil. It's not like I have a case of slugs in my pocket. I've got 4 in the gun and 6 in the sidesaddle. I've shot the shotgun from cover, moving, alternate shooting positions including prone during training and I don't have a problem with the original or a shortened stock. If you like or need the Knoxx Stock, good for you, does that mean everyone has too? I prefer technique over being a gear queer. I guess since I chose not to have a knoxx stock on my gun I'll just have to stop shooting since it obvioulsy can't be done correctly without one..

Since proper grip and stance go out the window in a fight I am guessing none of the fundamentals of marksmanship matter once the rounds start flying. Did you read that on the internet or did you learn that from your last gunfight. If you didn't use a proper grip, what grip did you use? So if I'm in a gunfight with my pistol, I shouldn't be concerned with getting a grip high up on the backstrap? Is weak hand placement no longer important? Does the placement of my trigger finger no longer matter? If the fundamentals are no longer important, why do we teach them as the first building block of shooting. Should I just abandon grip and grasp the gun in a haphazard fashion and hope it works. How did you hit your intended target? To me proper stance doesn't necessarily mean standing still with feet planted, it means your body is in the best position you can be in for the situation, aggressive, balanced as best as you can, proper movement. Do you not adjust your stance or shooting position the best you can when shooting around cover? When moving do you just run with abandon or do you use proper techniques while maintaining a firing grip on the gun. Do front sight focus and trigger press go away also. I've never used a shotgun in a gunfight so I'm waiting to learn.

I have never used a shotgun in a gun fight. I did however use the gun pictured above to dispatch two bear in the line of duty. One was charging me. Yes the fundamentals are important. But there is nothing wrong with being a gear queer as you put it that also practices good fundamentals. Just because you have the fundamentals down does not mean you can not benefit from improved gear. But to each his own. When it comes to fundamentals grip and trigger control are the most important. Stance much less so. You need to be able to shoot from akward positions where you are in a very poor shooting platform as necessitated by your available cover. People with a police and military background are often too conservative and are slow to accept new technology. We need to get rid of that attitude and try out new stuff and pitch what does not work and embrace what does.
Pat

AKJD
04-17-2010, 08:44
The original poster asked for opinions, I gave mine. I did try the Knoxx stock, and I didn't care for it. I try lots of new gear, just don't feel the need to chase the holy grail with every new gimmick that comes out. I also attend 1 or 2 classes each year and maintain armorer certifications so I can keep up with changes and new ideas and often incorporate them into the training I provide. I've learned through years of experience that the KISS principle is often the best way but not always. I also believe that there are many WAYS to do many tasks, some better than others. Those that proclaim that my WAY is the only WAY are to be avoided and viewed with suspicion. I have no problem with new gear and technologies but often in the so called tactical world new items are solutions looking for a problem. The Knoxx stock is a well made effective piece of equipment for those that need more recoil management, not everyone needs or desires one.

I'm still waiting for an explanation to your statement.

Quote: Also if you find yourself using a proper stance and grip in a gun fight your not using cover effectively and not moving.

Is this true, if so how and why, or just more internet hyperbole. If I ever find myself in another gunfight do I abandon grip and stance as you suggest? If I do, how do I control the gun?

Alaskapopo
04-17-2010, 14:31
The original poster asked for opinions, I gave mine. I did try the Knoxx stock, and I didn't care for it. I try lots of new gear, just don't feel the need to chase the holy grail with every new gimmick that comes out. I also attend 1 or 2 classes each year and maintain armorer certifications so I can keep up with changes and new ideas and often incorporate them into the training I provide. I've learned through years of experience that the KISS principle is often the best way but not always. I also believe that there are many WAYS to do many tasks, some better than others. Those that proclaim that my WAY is the only WAY are to be avoided and viewed with suspicion. I have no problem with new gear and technologies but often in the so called tactical world new items are solutions looking for a problem. The Knoxx stock is a well made effective piece of equipment for those that need more recoil management, not everyone needs or desires one.

I'm still waiting for an explanation to your statement.

Quote: Also if you find yourself using a proper stance and grip in a gun fight your not using cover effectively and not moving.

Is this true, if so how and why, or just more internet hyperbole. If I ever find myself in another gunfight do I abandon grip and stance as you suggest? If I do, how do I control the gun?
I should have left out the grip portion. You need to have a perfect grip. However in the real world you will not always be able to assume the perfect stance. You don't need to be in a perfect weaver or isosceles stance (assuming pistol) to make good hits. In fact if your using cover you will often be in a less than ideal shooting stance. You don't abandon your fundamentals. However you don't throw your hands up and give up because you find yourself in a position where you can't employ those fundamentals because of reality.

I also never said my way is the only way. However I view those instructors that poo poo all new gear as solutions to non problems with suspicion. I remember when I started law enforcement 10 years ago and most of the major instructors poo poo'd optics on rifles. Now we know better. The Knoxx stock helps with recoil control. The less recoil you have the faster and more accurately you can shoot. That is a good thing. If for some reason you can not shoot as well with a Knoxx stock then by all means don't use one. But if it helps you even a little its worth having. Any piece of gear that improves your performance is worth it. In a gun fight I will take any edge I can get.

A good analogy is this. You could train really hard with a muzzle loader and get really good with it. But an average shooter with a modern pump action shotgun is going to beat you every time. Stock is seldom a good thing on a defensive firearm. You mention you have 4 rounds in your gun. I can only assume its a stock 870 with a neutered mag. That is not nearly enough ammo in my opinion. With defensive firearms more ammo is better than less. You can cite stats like the average gun fight only last 2 or 3 rounds. But the reality is there is no such thing as an average gun fight. I never understood the minimalist movement in defensive firearms and I never will. I don't like to handicap myself.
Pat

mitchshrader
04-17-2010, 14:46
fog of war.

phone*guy
04-24-2010, 22:44
I just bought one today for my 590A1 and it doenst fit right...Its loose and has a small gap between the stock and the reciever. I've trouble shot it for hours and have given up for tongiht...Anybody else have fitting issues on the 590A1?

NightFighter
04-25-2010, 00:43
I am an academy level law enforcement handgun and shotgun instructor in my state (located in the Midwest). I do not like it. A Remington 870P with the new R3 recoil pad is better than the Knoxx spring-loaded contraption. For me, the stock slows down repeated shots. I can actually shoot a pump shotgun faster than the Knoxx spring can keep up with.

A female officer at my department, however, really likes hers on her 870P. She says it helps with felt recoil. I guess I grew up with an 870 Wingmaster hunting deer with full-power Federal Classic slugs. Our Federal reduced recoil LE buck and slugs are pretty tame on my shoulder.

One nice feature is that the length of pull is adjustable allowing multiple people of different sizes to shoot the same shotgun.

There is no question that they are well made. It just boils down to personal preference.

phone*guy
04-25-2010, 21:39
I just bought one today for my 590A1 and it doenst fit right...Its loose and has a small gap between the stock and the reciever. I've trouble shot it for hours and have given up for tongiht...Anybody else have fitting issues on the 590A1?

Had to bust out the Dremmel tool and do a fair amount of grinding to get a nice tight fit...But its done and looks pretty good. I also installed a new Surefire slide and Mesa Tactical 6 shell holder...Cant wait to bring'er to the range!

jimmz
04-27-2010, 18:33
The Knoxx stock works great. It makes shooting 100 magnum 00 buck shots in an hour managable.

gnasty1521
04-27-2010, 19:14
^^^ Enough to sell it to me. I was under the impression that "gimmicks" were a marketing ploy that had no true back. This seems to be a great product, which real people have said is great. No harm meant, I am not a guru by any means.

One question though. There has been reports of the stock getting stuck in the back position and covering the trigger up. Anybody experience this? If so, how did you fix it?

Kona2004
04-28-2010, 07:37
One question though. There has been reports of the stock getting stuck in the back position and covering the trigger up. Anybody experience this? If so, how did you fix it?
Funny you mentioned this because I started a thread asking about this last week but never got a response. Mine started doing as you said but would pop back out when the forend was moved forward. I'd like to know of any fixes to this problem.

cj5mrt
04-28-2010, 09:15
Never happened to me. If it did I'd be on the phone with Blackhawk.

Mike

CTfam
05-03-2010, 19:22
Great product. I had the Spec Ops on my Mossberg but now I'm back to stock. The PG doesn't jive well with the Mossberg controls. I will try the Compstock some day when I get around to it.

gnasty1521
05-03-2010, 19:50
^ So with this statement, it should work great with the Maverick 88. I will be buying one shortly.

CTfam
05-04-2010, 15:38
^ So with this statement, it should work great with the Maverick 88. I will be buying one shortly.

I'll sell you mine w/ power pack. Let me know.

ctfireman
05-05-2010, 13:47
It makes my mossberg 500 very shootable. I've shot 100 straight rounds without a sore shoulder.

stsai465
05-05-2010, 14:21
Have it; love it. I shoot monthly steel plate matches and used to end up the next day with a bruised shoulder (about 120-150 shells for the match). Switched to a Knoxx and no more bruised shoulders.

Navitimer
05-05-2010, 14:47
I have one and love it. Make sure to get the recoil reducing model (I think they make at least one other model).

jordy
05-05-2010, 15:37
My only problem with this is the hinderance to accessing the action lock on the Mossberg 590 I have.. But the adjustable LOP and the recoil reduction make this absolutly worth it in my book. Does anyone know of a normal stock that has a short length of pull and the recoil reduction of this. I know knoxx makes a recoil reducing regular stock, but from what I have read its got a long length of pull. I personally have the Knoxx on the shortest setting as I am a little guy so that is what I prefer.

CTfam
05-05-2010, 19:34
My only problem with this is the hinderance to accessing the action lock on the Mossberg 590 I have.. But the adjustable LOP and the recoil reduction make this absolutly worth it in my book. Does anyone know of a normal stock that has a short length of pull and the recoil reduction of this. I know knoxx makes a recoil reducing regular stock, but from what I have read its got a long length of pull. I personally have the Knoxx on the shortest setting as I am a little guy so that is what I prefer.

The Compstock has a 13.5" LOP. That's an inch shorter than stock. I have my stock cut down to 13" and the 12" Hogue I have is too short. I bet that Compstock would fit like a glove for me. Can't wait to try it out. :cool: