what's the word on moly? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : what's the word on moly?

compscotty
04-07-2010, 21:28
i've been shooting moly coated bullets. Well should I? I live in a dry climate or should i be worried about my gun? I know there are horror stories but what is the truth?

scott

Three-Five-Seven
04-07-2010, 22:42
I have shot thousands (!) of rounds of moly coated bullets through my NMV rooogers.

No problemo.

Boretech makes a special solvent (cleaner) for Moly that makes clean-up a bit easier than standard bore solvents.

However, getting all the moly out after firing is not necessary since it is a lubricant and can just as well stay in place in the barrel.

I have experienced significantly less leading when using moly coated bullet and recommend them to you without reservation.

ricky_arthur
04-07-2010, 22:49
Waste of time and money IMO.

ron59
04-08-2010, 05:08
Waste of time and money IMO.

???

They're considerably cheaper than jacketed, so how is that a waste of money? Most folks don't want to run straight lead through their Glock barrel, a philosophy I'd also recommend.

And how is it possibly a waste of time? The bullet manufacturer is the one who "molys" them, so for the reloader it's the same process as is for any other bullet.

So... where are you coming from with your statement ?

user
04-08-2010, 05:29
Ok, as long as you clean your barrel religiously. Molybdenum disulfide causes molecular changes in the steel over time.