LaserLyte [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LaserLyte

the perfesser
04-07-2010, 21:56
Saw one installed on a G19 recently, and thought it infinitely preferable to other laser options on a Glock. The going prices I see -- c.$180 -- are also attractive.

Does anyone have these sights on a G36?

How does anyone feel about this product in general?

gargodude
04-17-2010, 19:18
I bought my first one for my M23 and installation was really easy. You don't need an installation tool at all. The brass drift they give you works just fine. You can use a soft plastic punch to drive out the factory sight since it's not in there too tight. Once installed, I rough-sighted it in, or at least attempted to. I could adjust the windage in one direction but it would not come back the other way when I backed off on the screw. I called LaserLyte and the rep was very nice. She told me to back out both adjustment screws and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour to let it "reset" (there is an elastomer ring inside the unit, which acts as a return spring). One it has reset, she also suggested no to make all of the adjustment in one axis all at once, but to go a little bit with each screw until you get it on target. I let it sit overnight, tried her method and it still wouldn't adjust properly. I called the next day and they told me they would send me a new one. I had it by THE NEXT DAY. It came with batteries inside it, 4 extras and they included a 12-pack of batteries for my trouble. I will say, they get an "A+" for customer service. I installed the replacement and sent back the original one in the postage-paid envelope they sent. This one was able to be rough-sighted in without issue, but when I took it out to the range today, that's when the trouble started. The first thing I noticed was that if you set the mode switch to pulsating initially, it would often switch to constant after 1 or 2 shots. The real problems came when trying to dial the thing in. The windage adjustment came in OK, but by the time I got the elevation adjustment onto the target (at 15 yds.), I went a little too high and couldn't bring it back down by backing out the screw. This is a repeat of the problem I had with the first one, but in the other axis. I also found that once I thought I had it close, it wouldn't stay vertically on target after a few shots. I was shooting off a bench with a sandbag, so it wasn't me. After almost 140 rounds, I decided to turn the laser off and try a magazine off the sights again. Almost all in the 10 ring. So much for the laser. I brought it home and uninstalled it. That's when I noticed the battery compartment screw was loose. I had read some reviews which also said this would happen before I bought it. Oh well. My conclusion is that this is a promising idea, but needs further refinement before I want to bet my life on it's performance (or lack thereof). LaserLyte deserves praise for good customer service, but I think they missed the mark on the quality. It goes back on Monday.:wavey:

dreis454
04-18-2010, 03:41
I'll stick with my Lasermax..........

the perfesser
04-18-2010, 19:50
gargodude,
Thanks for your detailed and informative evaluation! It certainly gives me pause. Perhaps some other users will report how the LaserLyte works on their Glock pistols (of any model). Then we can see whether your experiences are the norm or a fluke.

OMEGA5
04-22-2010, 17:06
Saw one installed on a G19 recently, and thought it infinitely preferable to other laser options on a Glock. The going prices I see -- c.$180 -- are also attractive.

Does anyone have these sights on a G36?

How does anyone feel about this product in general?

My experience is almost identical to gargodude. The first one, I couldn't
get the laser any closer than 4 inches above the bullet impact no matter
how many times I reset it. Called Monday evening, no questions other than
my address and we'll send you a new one and we'll be sure to test it before
we send it. Wednesday when I got home (that's less than 2 days later) the
new one was waiting for me in my garage. I mounted it and it dialed right in
without a hitch.
Now, this is MY thinking on it: it does use an elastimer ring and I think they
got a bad run of rings. Not enough to warrant a total product recall, but
enough to where they know and expect the phone calls and are more than
willing to make it good. That's what I think has happened.
Now, their Service Dept has been the best I've ever dealt with. You call and
get a human on the other end. No Press 1 for English, no mechanical voice,
and no accent from Bangladesh or Mexico by way of New Delhi. An honest
to God human being that was extremely pleasant and interested in your
problem and more than willing to make it right. When I opened the package,
they had also sent me a 12 pack of batteries for the sight to help make up
for my trouble.
Like I've said, if I had it to do again, knowing what I do now, I might have
just went with a set of TruGlo Tritium Fiber Optic sights like is on my m31
but I can't fault their service. It's the best I've ever dealt with. Try that
with CT or Lasermax. I have called both and emailed both. Never spoke to
a human and never received an answer to my emails either.
Second thought, I'll give Laserlyte a second look when I get my next laser.
Dano :harley:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/LaserlyteRearSightLaser4-21-10004.jpg