My first 500 rounds of handgun - A light range load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first 500 rounds of handgun - A light range load

mjallen66
04-07-2010, 22:28
Even though I've loaded for rifle for years, I only recently decided to move into handgun loads. My Glock 22 needed more ammo that I could afford otherwise :)

A friend gave me a pound of Universal; he swears by the stuff. I ordered 1000 180 grain plated FN .40 bullets from berrys manufacturing. And I picked up a thousand Wolf small pistol primers. Brass I had in enough of. After lots of research and more than a few test rounds I landed on 4.6 grains of universal to push the 180 grain fn. It's a very light load, but comfortable to shoot and inexpensive to build.

Today I went to the range and shot 10 boxes of the stuff and couldnt be more pleased. No problems at all and not a single FTF/FTE/FT-anything! My only complaint is that the Universal seems to be wickedly dirty. My G22 was fricken filthy when I was done.

So any recommendations for a powder to try next? The Universal worked great, but I'd like to have something not quite so grungy.

Wash-ar15
04-07-2010, 22:43
I have found light loads work better with faster powder. your load might not burning completely, or does not have enough pressure to seal. you can tell buy the blackening of outside of the case mouth.

ricky_arthur
04-07-2010, 22:48
for my .40's I usually use unique but a friend gave me a few lbs of bullseye he was wanting to get rid of and I'm about out of it now. When I buy more it will be unique but the Bullseye has perfomed fine as well. Try either one and you will like them.

DWARREN123
04-08-2010, 03:55
For medium to hot loads try Hodgdon's Longshot. Not a lite loading but accurate and clean.

alwaysshootin
04-08-2010, 05:39
Weren't you going to clean your G22 anyway? Inexspensive, fun to shoot, light load, reliable, and you want something less dirty? How about Unique? Oh wait it's all the above also, never mind. :whistling:

mineralman55
04-08-2010, 05:47
So any recommendations for a powder to try next? The Universal worked great, but I'd like to have something not quite so grungy.

Red Dot is a very good choice for lighter loads. I use it in all my pistol reloads (including 9mm and .45acp). Its recoil is a short impulse, very easy to handle, and it burns more cleanly than Bullseye or Unique. It's inexpensive (~$18/lb) and readily available.

BK63
04-08-2010, 06:15
I stopped trying to figure out what powder is cleaner than the other as I know I have to clean the gun when I get home anyway. Use the powder that works good for you.

ilgunguygt
04-08-2010, 09:31
Even though I've loaded for rifle for years, I only recently decided to move into handgun loads. My Glock 22 needed more ammo that I could afford otherwise :)

A friend gave me a pound of Universal; he swears by the stuff. I ordered 1000 180 grain plated FN .40 bullets from berrys manufacturing. And I picked up a thousand Wolf small pistol primers. Brass I had in enough of. After lots of research and more than a few test rounds I landed on 4.6 grains of universal to push the 180 grain fn. It's a very light load, but comfortable to shoot and inexpensive to build.

Today I went to the range and shot 10 boxes of the stuff and couldnt be more pleased. No problems at all and not a single FTF/FTE/FT-anything! My only complaint is that the Universal seems to be wickedly dirty. My G22 was fricken filthy when I was done.

AA#2 or AA#5 would both be good choices, with AA#2 having the lower charge weight. Also 700x isnt too bad. You are using arelatively heavy bullet for the caliber though, so stepping up to a slower powder, like Power Pistol would be a good choice also. All of the above mentioned burn relatively clean.

fredj338
04-08-2010, 11:47
Medium burners, like Universl, Unqiue & WSF, need to be at midrange & up. For light loads you need to drop down to a bit faster powder. I would use WST, but W231 will work as will AA#2 & others. Powders faster than WST should be approached w/ caution when loading heavy bullets in high pressure rounds. Use the mid range & lower loads for faster powders. if you want safe factory equiv loads, stay w/ Univ & bump your charge wt a bit, 5gr should get the powder to burn a bit more completely.

EMazing
04-08-2010, 17:59
4.0 grains of WST behind those plated 180 grain FN. Its what I use in my G23. Couldn't be happier.