Bought my first press, feeling guilty [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first press, feeling guilty

8-Ball
04-08-2010, 00:18
So I'm about to make the jump and start off with a Lee classic turret press.

I'm having a problem coping with the memories of throwing all of my old brass in the trash. About two weeks ago I had my brothers out here and we probably threw out 100 pieces of .40 brass and 100 .223.

I bet I threw out 1000 of each of those two in the last 6 months. I haven't even thought about the 9mm, .243, and .45ACP.

Why oh why didn't I just save it? :faint:

Any how, I guess I'm just trying to introduce myself to you guys in the reloading forum. I've already learned a ton from reading here and I look forward to pestering you with my questions. :tongueout:

I already have my bench setup and I can't wait for the press to get here!

380Seecamp
04-08-2010, 04:26
Consider your abandoned brass a gift to the Brass Gods.

There will be more lying around in your future to recover.

:rofl:

alwaysshootin
04-08-2010, 05:34
What wuuuuurrrrrre you thinkin? Thousands in brass, is like, like, trillions, in gov't spending! :crying:

Bren
04-08-2010, 05:38
That classic turret is nice and easy to use. make sure you get a few extra die plates for it, so you can set you stuff up and leave it adjusted for each caliber.

GMAN12
04-08-2010, 05:43
I've had my LCT for about 4 mo. and love it. Cheap and works great out of the box, easy to set up. Don't forget to get the riser for the powder meas. to use with handgun.

KB2MBC
04-08-2010, 06:01
Aww... don't feel bad, I picked it all up right after you left.

8-Ball
04-08-2010, 11:06
Aww... don't feel bad, I picked it all up right after you left.

:rofl::rofl:

Thanks guys, I've heard pretty good things about the LCT. I can't wait to give it a try.

Grux
04-08-2010, 11:19
Keep us updated on how you like your press. I hope to be buying my first one in the next couple months.

chris in va
04-08-2010, 19:06
'm having a problem coping with the memories of throwing all of my old brass in the trash

I do that too. All those years of leaving brass behind at the range makes me cringe.

byf43
04-08-2010, 20:57
I'm having a problem coping with the memories of throwing all of my old brass in the trash. About two weeks ago I had my brothers out here and we probably threw out 100 pieces of .40 brass and 100 .223.

I bet I threw out 1000 of each of those two in the last 6 months. I haven't even thought about the 9mm, .243, and .45ACP.

Flashback to 1978/'79.
I had just bought my S&W mdl 19, and was going to the range every Monday evening after work.

Factory fresh ammo was $9.00 per box.
I was shooting 2 boxes of 50 rounds each range trip, and tossing the brass into the trash.
A guy walked up to the trashcan right behind me, and picked the boxes of brass up, and put them into his range bag.

What the. . . . . ?
Didn't take me long to figure the $$$ savings.
RCBS Rockchucker and assorted required pieces vs several boxes of ammo.

Rockchucker won.
Now, Dillon RL550B 'Blue' sits next to RCBS 'Green'.

IndyGunFreak
04-08-2010, 21:04
Congrats... I've had mine... probably 4yrs, used it, stopped using it and started buying ammo, then started again when this ammo crisis started up again. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy using it, I just didn't have time. Now I make time.

Where did you buy your LCT? What other accessories did you get?

IGF

robin303
04-08-2010, 23:00
If you need some brass I get it from this guy. Been tumbled and get it in about a week. http://www.capefearammo.com/index.html

Cobra64
04-08-2010, 23:23
So I'm about to make the jump and start off with a Lee classic turret press.

Any how, I guess I'm just trying to introduce myself to you guys in the reloading forum. I've already learned a ton from reading here and I look forward to pestering you with my questions. :tongueout:

I already have my bench setup and I can't wait for the press to get here!

When I'm huntin' for my brass, I alway stumble on other calibers that I don't shoot. I throw it in a coffee can and later give it to guys I know who load that caliber.

8-Ball
04-09-2010, 00:25
Congrats... I've had mine... probably 4yrs, used it, stopped using it and started buying ammo, then started again when this ammo crisis started up again. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy using it, I just didn't have time. Now I make time.

Where did you buy your LCT? What other accessories did you get?

IGF

Kempf, with the pro auto disk and both primer systems. I plan on heading to Gander Mountain Friday or Saturday for some calipers and HF for a cheap tumbler. I figure I'll pick up other stuff as I go.

I've been researching a lot and I have a few of manuals need to find (somewhere in one of my magazine/book boxes) and do a little more reading.

I started reading up on it and buying books a few years ago but military stuff got in the way of me getting started. Now I'm finally ready to really jump into it.

Thanks for the link, Robin. :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
04-09-2010, 00:32
Kempf, with the pro auto disk and both primer systems. I plan on heading to Gander Mountain Friday or Saturday for some calipers and HF for a cheap tumbler. I figure I'll pick up other stuff as I go.

I've been researching a lot and I have a few of manuals need to find (somewhere in one of my magazine/book boxes) and do a little more reading.

I started reading up on it and buying books a few years ago but military stuff got in the way of me getting started. Now I'm finally ready to really jump into it.

Thanks for the link, Robin. :wavey:

Good choice.. You'll probably find calipers cheaper at HF. They usually run $15-$20 for the 6in.

IGF