G36 SD Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G36 SD Ammo

jdodd
04-08-2010, 05:15
Hey, I have been looking around trying to find the equivalent of the 124gr +p gold dot of the 9mm world for the .45 G36 platform.

A lot of people around the net seem like the Federal HST and a runner up being the Ranger T's but I can't find them in stock at any of my normal online retailers. The whole LE only thing doesn't help.

So what's in your mag and why? Any links to tests?

Currently Im loaded with 230gr ball...and if I dont find a clear winner I may just stick with that. Doubletap makes a nice ball round that would work.

Thanks,

-J

dreis454
04-08-2010, 06:03
can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dots 230gr also look at the 200gr +p

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point-ammo

jdodd
04-08-2010, 07:51
can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dots 230gr also look at the 200gr +p

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point-ammo

I like speer products and have looked at the 230gr, just curious how expansion is at the lower speed. I can't find any good tests like with 9mm and other calibers...must be my google finger is broken.

-J

dreis454
04-08-2010, 09:25
I like speer products and have looked at the 230gr, just curious how expansion is at the lower speed. I can't find any good tests like with 9mm and other calibers...must be my google finger is broken.

-J

For this I would look to YOUTUBE....:cool:

& while your at it............practice your Google-fu

ps. My 36 is loaded with 230gr GD's & I never feel under ammo'd. Of coarse they also make a short barrel version........

jdodd
04-08-2010, 09:29
I know in the 9mm platform the short barrel rounds did not expand / perform as well as the regular version. This was in a glock 19. Similar barrel length for a 36.

See what good old youtube has for me...

-J

tuica
04-08-2010, 11:46
The great aspect of a large caliber round is that any decent hollow point will be fine. I carry Gold Dot 185 gr JHP., Winchester Bonded PDX 230 JHP, and Winchester "regular" 230 JHP. Good Luck

rwillis
04-08-2010, 14:14
I carry Federal Premium 165 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP (http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=405) they shoot great.

Brent10mm
04-08-2010, 17:32
check my post on the "let see em" thread....:shocked:

dreis454
04-08-2010, 17:47
http://www.sgammo.com/index.php/cPath/1_28
Ranger T's & Gold Dots

jdodd
04-09-2010, 05:45
http://www.sgammo.com/index.php/cPath/1_28
Ranger T's & Gold Dots

Man...why do you have to show me a link with ammo I WANT IN STOCK! :crying:

The ranger T's look like a winner, decent price for 50. I just need to figure out a way to order some with out ending up on couch.

You live up in enfield huh? Im down in windsor, you got a free couch? :rofl:

dreis454
04-09-2010, 09:31
Man...why do you have to show me a link with ammo I WANT IN STOCK! :crying:

The ranger T's look like a winner, decent price for 50. I just need to figure out a way to order some with out ending up on couch.

You live up in enfield huh? Im down in windsor, you got a free couch? :rofl:

You'd need to share it with the dog!

Windsor EH?:shocked: I lived there into my high school years...still have friends there.
PM me with the where abouts that you live.

SagKC
04-09-2010, 12:51
230 gr. Ranger Ts in my G36. Thankful they are still available at my local "fun" store from time to time! :supergrin:

mplecha
04-10-2010, 07:50
winchester ranger sxt

Ak.Hiker
04-11-2010, 09:59
My three favorite loads that I carry in my Glock 36 are the Double Tap 230 grain TMJ, Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ, and the Hornady 230 grain TAP +P.

Big Bore Fan
04-11-2010, 10:36
I started with 230gr Gold dots, but had FTF problems. If you look at the mouth of the bullet it is veary flat. The bullet will stand upright with the bullet facing down on a table. Gold dot's have worked fine in other guns for me just not the 36. So I tried some HST's, they have a rounder nose. The HST's work veary well in my gun. Now for some testing. One day while deer hunting I thought I would test each bullet on somthing other than newspaper and milk jugs. I was lucky enough to harvest a nice 6 point buck. Before the field dressing took place I shot the deer once with both rounds in the chest area. Both bullets broke a rib going in and one on the opposite side. Both bullets also stoped in the hide on the far side of the deer. I think if the deer had been standing instead of lying on the ground the bullets would have exited and fallen to the ground. The only real differance between the two is that the HST expanded far more than the Gold dot. The Gold dot was also badly deformed from the ribs, I thought that was odd because they are bonded. It's like the lead was softer. So there you go, my .2 cents. Hope that helps.

Jim S.
04-11-2010, 17:23
Corbon 185g +P DPX.

the perfesser
04-11-2010, 19:57
The Hornady Critical Defense is now out in .45ACP. Anyone try this yet in their G36?

jdodd
04-12-2010, 05:23
The Hornady Critical Defense is now out in .45ACP. Anyone try this yet in their G36?

My boss likes it but as a reference it went out of a 1911 4" platform. Never tried the stuff myself!

I took the plunge and bought 200 rounds of RA45T. :cool:

UPS says it should be here friday so thats the day I need to lay low!

-J

Ken43
04-22-2010, 20:22
Take a look at www.streichers.com They have a lot of the ammo you are talking about. Fed. HST and the Speer Gold Dot. I carry the HST in my 9mm, 40, and 45

CanyonMan
04-28-2010, 16:09
Hey, I have been looking around trying to find the equivalent of the 124gr +p gold dot of the 9mm world for the .45 G36 platform.

A lot of people around the net seem like the Federal HST and a runner up being the Ranger T's but I can't find them in stock at any of my normal online retailers. The whole LE only thing doesn't help.

So what's in your mag and why? Any links to tests?

Currently Im loaded with 230gr ball...and if I dont find a clear winner I may just stick with that. Doubletap makes a nice ball round that would work.

Thanks,

-J

All I shoot in 'all of my 45acps' is 230gr ball. Especially in the short pipe. Suggestion, since you ask. I would stay with the 230gr ball. Your not going to get enough vel out of that short tube to open a 230gr JHP up any way. So..... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

jdodd
04-29-2010, 09:52
All I shoot in 'all of my 45acps' is 230gr ball. Especially in the short pipe. Suggestion, since you ask. I would stay with the 230gr ball. Your not going to get enough vel out of that short tube to open a 230gr JHP up any way. So..... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

I ended up placing an order for 200 RA45T rounds. So far I have shot 50 and they function perfect. Next 50 hoping to put a few through some tests to see actual expansion.

I see where you are coming from, and do agree. I just wanted some new toys to play with!

-J

newGlocker119
04-30-2010, 07:10
I carry Remington Golden Saber 185 Gr. JHP. Function flawlessly and "seem" to have more consistent expansion out of the short barrel.

CanyonMan
04-30-2010, 09:05
I ended up placing an order for 200 RA45T rounds. So far I have shot 50 and they function perfect. Next 50 hoping to put a few through some tests to see actual expansion.

I see where you are coming from, and do agree. I just wanted some new toys to play with!

-J

Sounds good. Suggestion: Make sure in your test to remember to place some Cow rib bones if possible and perhaps a folded up bath towel in your media. I go much further than that, but I know most folks can't. You most always get a pretty, well opened bullet, in jello test, or wet pack, or 'just' water bottles. But place some bone in the mix and somethig thicker than 4 layers of denim and see what happens... Just a suggestion amigo. But a vaery valuable one. ;)

Hope it all goes wel.
Have fun
Good shooting

CanyonMan

jdodd
04-30-2010, 09:25
Sounds good. Suggestion: Make sure in your test to remember to place some Cow rib bones if possible and perhaps a folded up bath towel in your media. I go much further than that, but I know most folks can't. You most always get a pretty, well opened bullet, in jello test, or wet pack, or 'just' water bottles. But place some bone in the mix and somethig thicker than 4 layers of denim and see what happens... Just a suggestion amigo. But a vaery valuable one. ;)

Hope it all goes wel.
Have fun
Good shooting

CanyonMan

Yeah, I was hoping to find some “fixings” up on the family farm next time im in Vermont. Was thinking about doing some layers of clothing, then meat/bones in a box? Saw this somewhere before and seemed like a decent test…if not there is always water jugs!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
-J

CanyonMan
04-30-2010, 12:55
Yeah, I was hoping to find some “fixings” up on the family farm next time im in Vermont. Was thinking about doing some layers of clothing, then meat/bones in a box? Saw this somewhere before and seemed like a decent test…if not there is always water jugs!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
-J

Sounds good... Check out this thread over on CC that a real good friend of mine is conducting test on.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188579&page=13

Look at post # 303, 320, 323, 324...

Now you can see more of what I am talking about. ;)
Unless we go beyond the water jugs (which are fun yes) but really do not tell much, "without test b, c, d, and e perhaps, we really don't get the bigger picture of how our bullet is going to preform in certain situations. Barrier test are very important. You don't have to be an LEO to need a bullet that penetrates barriers. Anything can happen to us at any place any time or any where, and that is why we carry a gun. So, if we are going to do this, we may as well 'know' what our ammo is capable of to the very best we can any way. Out here on the ranch it is very easy to run all kinds of test, for most folks it is not. But IF you can, try and get some (green bones) wet through and through, and double up a terry cloth towel not just 4 layers of denim. Also 'do place an object or two' in between those water jugs, and then you may be very very surprised to see your favorite JHP looks like ball, and can almost be reloaded again in some cases. Check out this thread and post, and see what happened to the Golden Saber, and the Winchester PDX1 (ranger T style), and some others as well.. Make your test tuff as heck, and then make your own conclusion on what you have found out as to what you think meets your carry needs. JHP's are fine (some of them), and I use them in every caliber except the 45acp That big slow moving 230gr just does not open hardly at all if ever. It is prone more to clogging and therefore looses vel and much needed penetration.

Not telling you what to use... Not at all. Just saying this is why in the 45acp I go with 230gr ball ammo. You test those rounds hard, and check out the thread above and post 'if you want to', and see what you come up with.

Hey, Please let me know, even if it is a PM or post, but I sure am interested to see what you did and what you found out. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

captcurly
04-30-2010, 17:59
My G 36 is loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.

snaproll
05-02-2010, 12:20
winchester ranger sxt

Have used Winchester SXT's for years and been happy. Also Federal Hydro Shocks are very good, tried +P's but they had to much flash for me.:wavey:

taters
05-04-2010, 07:19
try dakota ammo.net and get the cor bon 185 gr. it travels at 1250 fps....awesome round